Perfect Michael Jordan Rookie Card sells for $100,000

By Chris Olds | Basketball Editor

A Pristine copy of Michael Jordan‘s 1986-87 Fleer Rookie Card sold for six-figures in a Memory Lane Inc. sale Sunday evening.

The card, graded a 10 by Beckett Grading Services, fetched $100,000 in the Tustin, Calif.-based auction house’s Own it Now sale, which launched not long before the sale.

There are just three copies of the famed card graded as a BGS 10 out of more than 5,500 cards submitted. This particular copy was the first to receive the grade and once appeared on the cover of Beckett Basketball Card Plus, now Beckett Basketball, magazine. The card sold to a collector on the West Coast.

“It was the first time we had the opportunity to sell the card, and we are really happy with the sale,” said Stephanie Evans of Memory Lane. “It’s a landmark modern sale for us, and it just goes to show that when you have something as rare as a Beckett 10 come available, the demand still warrants six figures.”

The last known BGS 10 Jordan sale came in August 2009 when a collector paid $82,000 for this same card. It was reportedly sold for $150,000 in 2006. However, that sale never was confirmed. The card’s subgrades included 10s for its centering, edges and corners and a 9.5 for its surface condition.

The first BGS 9.5 copy of the Jordan RC went for $77,600 in a June 2003 deal. The Jordan RC is not the only high-profile BGS 10 of a 1980s icon to sell for big bucks in the last few years as a Joe Montana 1981 Topps RC sold for $65,880 in April 2009. That card carried the third-highest pricetag of any football card sale ever documented by Beckett Media.

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Basketball. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an e-mail to him at Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

1. Posted Monday June 6th, 2011 at 04:16 PM | Permalink

Beckett Grading is “Number One.” Although I feel that Beckett grades a little harder than I would grade, I find Beckett Grading to be the most consistent of all grading services with respect to their grading standards. With all the bad people out there making fakes, Beckett Grading allows buyers to bid with confidence; and, this insures sellers get top dollar for their cards. I use Beckett Grading and would use no other.
    Charlie DiPietro, Owner
    Sports Cards Plus of San Antonio

2. Michael Marrufo
    Posted Tuesday June 7th, 2011 at 10:51 AM | Permalink

I just pick an 86-87 Fleer Jordan up lets hope its as good as this one

3. Johnny Johnson
    Posted Thursday December 8th, 2011 at 12:06 PM | Permalink

i have a micheal jordan rookie card and is willing to sell it

4. johnny johnson
    Posted Saturday August 11th, 2012 at 02:58 PM | Permalink

can anyone tell me where to sell 4 micheal jordan trading cards all are rookies and i have 50 more will sell all for 200,000 e-mail me

5. Teresa Shoemaker
    Posted Monday August 27th, 2012 at 11:36 AM | Permalink

I have 2 of these cards in pristene condtion

6. Shane
    Posted Wednesday October 10th, 2012 at 03:27 PM | Permalink

How much is my Michael Jordan rookie card worth in okay condition

7. Asa
    Posted Sunday November 18th, 2012 at 08:26 AM | Permalink

We found one of these in somebody swimming pool after hurricane sandy the card was water log

8. William Michel
    Posted Sunday November 25th, 2012 at 07:50 PM | Permalink

Believe it or not I have the Micheal Jordan rookie card it only been touch by human hand twice someone want this call me or text me this is real 510 688-6640 I from Chicago big Jordan fan

9. Rikone kgkass
    Posted Friday December 28th, 2012 at 06:26 PM | Permalink

Rikone tag sold for 200,000 dollars.

10. Curtis March
    Posted Saturday January 5th, 2013 at 12:05 PM | Permalink

I have a pristine Michael Jordan Rookie card and would like to sell it.

11. Rich
    Posted Thursday January 17th, 2013 at 06:41 PM | Permalink

I’d like to buy a Jordan rookie card.

12. Kevin
    Posted Saturday February 16th, 2013 at 04:25 PM | Permalink

I have a michael Jordan rookie card and would love to sell it for the right price. I live in Chicago, I’m curious what an offer would be.

13. Mike
    Posted Friday February 22nd, 2013 at 07:34 PM | Permalink

I used to have A ball card shop, I managed to save one of many
    Jordan rookie cards which I believe to be a 10 along with a first issue
    Beckett basket ball guide signed by Jordan which was authenticated
    By BP sports collectables in Atlanta ga, however I am fearful of mailing
    It in to be graded, is there a safe way to insure you will get the same
    Card back and where do you send to be graded? Please email

14. fred hall
    Posted Sunday February 24th, 2013 at 08:51 AM | Permalink

would like to know where i could take michael jordan rookie card to get graded?
    Is a beckett place here somewhere in south florida? Thanks Fred Hall

15. Lance Euell
    Posted Thursday March 7th, 2013 at 02:24 PM | Permalink

I have a Michael Jordan rookie card and would like to sell it also.

16. Kevin B
    Posted Sunday March 10th, 2013 at 12:36 PM | Permalink

I have an 86-87 Jordan Fleer Rookie card. What can I do with it??? Been HARD cased since opened it!!

Posted Sunday April 14th, 2013 at 12:20 AM | Permalink

Wanting to buy a Michael Jordan rookie is good shape and grading only up to a 8.5. Can’t afford the 9 or 10 graded Jordan’s.

18. Posted Sunday April 28th, 2013 at 06:29 PM | Permalink

Michael Jordan 1985 1-12 Signed Basketball trading card. Napoleon (Larry) Lajoie Value 10,000 1933 Goudey Gum these trading cards amoungst many others are for sale. These Cards belong to Scott Marcucci. He’s looking to sell an entire box of cards all sports. Mobile # is 952-687-1914

19. norman taylor
    Posted Wednesday May 8th, 2013 at 08:26 AM | Permalink

my father have michael jordan cards.. binders of them i would like to know how much they are worth

20. James koons
    Posted Friday May 31st, 2013 at 09:29 PM | Permalink

Have micheal jordan card to sell

21. Darius
    Posted Wednesday June 5th, 2013 at 12:58 PM | Permalink

I have an ’84-’85 Michael Jordan rookie card, and I am willing to sell it. Any buyers?

22. ken nixon
    Posted Tuesday June 25th, 2013 at 12:58 PM | Permalink

I have a michael jordan rookie upper deck card for sale contact at 912 422 4312

23. Stan smith
    Posted Thursday August 1st, 2013 at 10:05 PM | Permalink

I have his rockie card in perfect condition looking to sell it but want to get it graded first if anyone is interested email me at.

24. Lance Euell
    Posted Friday August 16th, 2013 at 10:01 PM | Permalink

I have a perfect condition Michael Jordan rookie and I am trying to sell it.

25. Posted Saturday October 5th, 2013 at 07:55 PM | Permalink

My son have A card like that one help him and I sell it

26. amanda knowland
    Posted Wednesday January 8th, 2014 at 04:48 PM | Permalink

I got a Michel Jordan rookie card like to sell it call 1812 528 7555 and if interested in a derek Jeter rookie card ill it for thirty bucks call 1812 820 1712

27. Dominique Hicks
    Posted Friday January 10th, 2014 at 06:24 AM | Permalink

I have a fleer rookie MJ card still in the see through pack and I’m
    willing to part ways with it. .

28. amanda knowland
    Posted Sunday January 12th, 2014 at 09:30 PM | Permalink

I got rookie cards and alot of good ones call 1812 820 1715

29. Korey
    Posted Friday January 31st, 2014 at 10:21 PM | Permalink

I Have A Ok Michael Jordan Rookie Card I Would Like To Sell. I Had It For Over 20 Years In My Safe. Email If Interested.

30. Greg
    Posted Thursday March 6th, 2014 at 02:21 PM | Permalink

I have the Jordan card sold here in great condition and I’m looking to sell it!!!

31. Greg
    Posted Thursday March 6th, 2014 at 02:25 PM | Permalink

I have this Michael Jordan card in great condition for sale it will be a great deal for someone that wants a MJ rookie call 740-497-8650

32. Realistic
    Posted Monday March 10th, 2014 at 01:23 AM | Permalink

I cannot believe all the people trying to push their crappy Jordan cards. Ever heard of ebay or amazon? If you really had the real deal, you would sell it the right way and not giving out your phone number to sell some poor fool your crappy card. Either you are desperate for contact, it is fake, or worthless. Sell them at a garage sale because that is what they are worth. The comment board is for comments, not your desperate attempt to rip someone off.

33. Rob
    Posted Monday March 10th, 2014 at 11:08 PM | Permalink

I have a BCCG Beckett grade 9 mint 86-87 Fleer Rookie just like this one, how much is that worth? And if anyone is interested in it email me an offer…

34. kyle
    Posted Tuesday March 11th, 2014 at 07:05 AM | Permalink

i have the Michael Jordan Autographed Original Fleer Rookie Card Art il sell it for 24.0000

35. Ryan
    Posted Monday March 24th, 2014 at 09:53 PM | Permalink

I have this card in flawless condition. Just looking to get rid of it for a good price if anyone is interested. Need it gone soon. Send an email to ASAP as it will be gone soon! :)

36. kevin
    Posted Saturday April 5th, 2014 at 05:27 PM | Permalink

Card is not perfect. It says so right on the card. Notice the 9.5 sub-grade. Is it worth $100,000? Absolutely not. If it had 4 perfect 10 sub grades then maybe. The card is also not even close to being his rookie as many Star cards were produced prior to the Fleer set. You could say this is his first basketball appearance by the Fleer corporation . This card is misstated in every way. It is neither perfect or the rookie card of Michael Jordan.

37. Penny
    Posted Thursday August 21st, 2014 at 01:08 PM | Permalink

I have a Beckett Basketball Card Magazine issue #1 signed by MJ. Don’t know authenticity, worth or how to find out? Would like to sell.

38. Jacqueline Kelly
    Posted Sunday September 13th, 2015 at 03:43 PM | Permalink

Hello, I just gave this card to my son by fluke. I contacted the buying source and the card was bought for me. It was found in China, no lie, China. I kept the packaging (for a while). I guess I did good. Live and learn. My son is a collector from his youth. As a child he had 3 Michael Jordan rookies in our safe deposit box. He and his chum would go to the Cow Palace in S.F. and buy/trade cards. They were only 16 years old. Both dads owned businesses, guess they were paying attention.

39. Kathy
    Posted Thursday March 24th, 2016 at 12:33 PM | Permalink

I currently own the said stated above. 1986-1987 Fleer rookie Michael Jordan card that’s been sealed in a picture binder and still remains as such.

40. barry polite
    Posted Monday April 25th, 2016 at 05:59 PM | Permalink

I got a 84-85 upper deck film michael jordan rookie card havent seen no other ones like it yet wish i could post a picure of it

41. Ryan Cracknell
    Posted Monday April 25th, 2016 at 06:24 PM | Permalink

If you send an email to, I’ll see what I can do. Upper Deck didn’t release basketball cards until 1991-92 (they didn’t release any cards at all until 1989) so it won’t be a rookie. If you type “Michael Jordan” plus the number on the back, it might show up in the database as well.

Posted Tuesday October 18th, 2016 at 02:04 AM | Permalink

I have A 1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan #57 Promotional in Near Mint To Mint condition and I don’t know how to get it graded in Australia and how much its worth can someone please Help me.

43. Ryan Cracknell
    Posted Tuesday October 18th, 2016 at 10:47 AM | Permalink

Grading information can be found at:

2 Trackbacks

1. […] : Beckett Tweet Previous post […]

2. By Michael Jordan Rookie Card Sells For $100,000 | on Wednesday June 8th, 2011 at 11:02 AM

[…] An original pair of Air Jordan 1's might be considered a grail to some Jordan collectors but the holiest of all grails is the Michael Jordan rookie card. Recently, a Jordan rookie card went for $100,000 to a collector on the West Coast which shows how serious some collectors are about acquiring items to showcase. The card itself was rated a perfect 10 on Beckett's grading scale which is universally considered to be the toughest scale out there. Of the 5,500 rookie cards submitted, only three of them were graded a 10 on Beckett's scale. Previously, a collector paid $82,000 for the same card in August 2009. Stick with Jordans Daily for more Jordan memorabilia posts and check out the story in full detail over at Beckett. […]