First look: 2012 Topps Solid Golden Greats

By Chris Olds | Beckett Baseball Editor

With five days remaining until the arrival of the hobby’s most collected baseball card set, Topps has pulled back the curtain on a set of rather lustrous cards that will be found in packs of 2012 Topps as redemptions.

They are the Solid Golden Greats, 1/1 cards made out of 14-karat gold that have been slabbed in a custom holder by Beckett Grading Services, the grading and card authentication division of Beckett Media.

There are 16 cards — stars from the past and present — to be found in packs of the flagship baseball card line and they can only be found in hobby boxes.

The preliminary checklist:

SGG-CR Cal Ripken Jr.
SGG-JR Jackie Robinson
SGG-NR Nolan Ryan
SGG-BR Babe Ruth
SGG-TS Tom Seaver
SGG-ICH Ichiro Suzuki

Chris Olds is the editor of Beckett Baseball magazine. Have a comment, question or idea? Send an email to him at Follow him on Twitter by clicking here.

1. joe
    Posted Friday January 27th, 2012 at 01:10 PM | Permalink

Wow, that card looks great. As much as I hate redemption, if I pulled the Robinson, Ripken, Jeter or Mays I would have to keep i t.

2. RJ51
    Posted Friday January 27th, 2012 at 01:12 PM | Permalink

No conflicts of interest there.

Nice item though.

3. XstreamINsanity
    Posted Friday January 27th, 2012 at 01:37 PM | Permalink

I don’t know why, but Ichiro doesn’t seem to belong on that list. I love him as a player and he’s a very humble person, but if they wanted a checklist of that many people, there are so many others that could have been chosen. And I can’t wait for a company to do something similar, but with Platinum instead of Gold. :)

4. JonathanI
    Posted Friday January 27th, 2012 at 01:51 PM | Permalink

I was hoping for a Cub in there someplace. Not that I could afford it, but I like to dream.

5. Brian
    Posted Friday January 27th, 2012 at 02:06 PM | Permalink

These cards look great. Just saw the packs odds and looks like a 300% increase in production vs. Update. All the great looking hits from the sell sheet will be few and far between.

6. chrisolds
    Posted Friday January 27th, 2012 at 02:32 PM | Permalink

RJ: There isn’t — the cards aren’t priced because they are 1/1s. I just found out about these being slabbed when others did. Grading department is also separate from editorial — and a lot of companies get cards graded like this.

7. modelsforwives
    Posted Friday January 27th, 2012 at 02:59 PM | Permalink

Why so few yankees?

8. Andrew V
    Posted Friday January 27th, 2012 at 03:58 PM | Permalink

I would put Rickey Henderson over Ichiro

9. steve-o
    Posted Friday January 27th, 2012 at 04:11 PM | Permalink

a…….because the Yankees SUCK !!!!!

and b……..are these serial numbered 1 of 1 ? or is it a card number in set ?

10. Richard
    Posted Friday January 27th, 2012 at 04:14 PM | Permalink

With all do respect, Ichiro DOES belong on the list. One the greatest pure hitters of all time.
    I would like to see the list expanded a bit do that every decade of Topps had a few per, but
    Ichiro and Pujols perfectly represent the 2001-2010 time period.

It would be to see Winfield, Yount, Brett, Ozzie, Gwynn, and Rickey Henderson added.
    Then add guys like Greg Maddux, Tom Glavine, Griffey Jr and other soon to be in the HOF.
    Lots of other good guys, but too many are now on the Steroid suspect list like Arod.

11. modelsforwives
    Posted Friday January 27th, 2012 at 10:47 PM | Permalink

B….Holy sarcasm batman…

12. Michael Chase
    Posted Saturday January 28th, 2012 at 06:50 PM | Permalink

See…Cards dont need autos or jerseys, they just need GOLD!

13. bill
    Posted Saturday January 28th, 2012 at 09:52 PM | Permalink

i think frank thomas wouldve been a better choice then ichiro

14. Adam Shoemaker
    Posted Saturday January 28th, 2012 at 10:03 PM | Permalink

I just don’t care! Too many players that already have WAYYYYY too many cards made of them (ESP. being 1/1’s) and ONLY 3 current players?! Yes, everyone listed is a HOFer or future HOFer, but that list just seems a bit weak. I think they could benefit by dropping the pre-1950 players and adding more players from the last 2-3 decades.
    Finally, redemptions suck, but I see no way around it for these cards. I think it is a good idea that will work well with a couple of tweaks.

15. brian weatherford
    Posted Saturday February 18th, 2012 at 09:51 AM | Permalink

I recently witnessed a friend of mine pull the mickey mantle gold redemption card out of a hobby pack wow how lucky he is!!!!!!

16. Mike Cavataio
    Posted Thursday December 27th, 2012 at 02:21 AM | Permalink

May want to add another name to that list. I pulled the Reggie Jackson about six weeks ago and it was sent certified mail and is currently sitting in my safe.

One Trackback

1. By Topps Disco (aka Solid Gold) | 2012 Topps on Friday January 27th, 2012 at 01:26 PM

[…] Solid Golden Greats set of 1/1 cards made out of 14k gold and encapsulated in BGS holders. This Beckett article has some more info on it (but how is it a "preliminary" checklist if they are the ones who […]