`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: Do you want to see more posts like this?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No, keep the reminiscing to yourself.
5.56%
2 5.56%
Yes, please post a new thread every day.
8.33%
3 8.33%
Yes, please add a new post to this thread every day.
86.11%
31 86.11%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Fun card of the day

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/21
(10-22-2015, 04:18 PM)zeprock Wrote: Wow. That really is a BIG Hurt. One lens ad his nose fills my screen.
I was wondering if my picture size was too big for some of these cards. I can resize or use other images if these are too big for most people. I just like using the larger images to show more detail on each card.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

As I have said before the 90s had card companies innovating to stay competitive. Pacific definitely took things to to the extreme with their laser-cut cards and in 1998 they introduced cards with simulated netting in them. A year later they took away the laser-cut and actually inserted netting. While the late 90s started to get jersey cards in most products, which became the big chase cards, these texturally stimulating cards definitely stood out to me. If you have never held one of these cards in your hand, then you might want to consider picking one up as they are really cool. Pacific continued using the netting for a few years in baseball and other products, but I went with the card I remember first with the actual netting, which is from 1999 Revolution. I chose the 1999 Revolution Foul Pole Net-Fusions (Beckett simply lists as "Revolution Foul Pole") card of Jeter because it is a great shot of a young Jeter swinging, which I think goes well with the foul pole netting.
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.

Loved the net-fusion cards...fun thread, keep them coming,
Scott
50,000+ Red Sox cards and counting.

I too love the Pacific inserts best of all. They were so innovative and collectible. I'm a big fan of the oddball cards so I really enjoy seeing your selections. I have most all of the cards you've showed so far.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/23
During the 80s Donruss made several pop-up style All Star sets. I remember getting a few of these and popping the players up to display them prominently in my collection. Another thing I remember fondly is buying boxes of cereal to get cards. Post Raisin Bran was one of the few cereals I could get my mom to buy without much arguing and so I always loved when Post put out a set. In 1993 Post made separate sets for the US and Canadian markets. They used different players, as the Canadian set had more Blue Jay and Expo players than the US set. However the bigger difference is that the US versions were fairly basic cards, but the Canadian version used the same pop-up style that I loved from the 80s Donruss cards. These cards are great and definitely condition sensitive, considering they were inserted in cereal boxes, have black borders, and were meant to be bent for the players to pop-up. Considering this was a Canadian set and the Blue Jays won back to back championships in 1992 and 1993, I selected one of the big name Blue Jays at the time, Joe Carter.
[Image: Joe-Carter.jpg?id=44f16d36-4683-4685-969...e=original]
[Image: Joe-Carter.jpg?id=44f16d36-4683-4685-969...&side=back]

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/14
(10-15-2015, 08:55 PM)djohn Wrote: I had to go out of town for work and didn't get a chance until now to add today's card of the day. Today's card is from a not well known factory set of team cards from Sportflics, the 1987 Sportflics Team Previews set. These cards came as factory sets and highlighted 8 players for each of the MLB teams. These cards are cool because you get the fun Sportflics technology of the time with so many players from the same team. What makes today's card extra special is that it was the first MLB card of Tom Glavine. Technically it is not a rookie because it's a team card, but he is on it and is listed on the back. His face is clearly seen in the bottom right corner in the image below.

Awesome card... That is my cousin in the top left corner. "Ken Oberkfell"
https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/14
(10-25-2015, 04:43 AM)rad_1205 Wrote: Awesome card... That is my cousin in the top left corner. "Ken Oberkfell"
That's awesome. I remember Ken for his time with the Cardinals and winning the 1982 World Series along side Keith Hernandez, as well as his time with the Braves which were the closest team to me in Florida at the time (Marlins didn't arrive until 1993). He definitely had a solid career.

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/24
In 1992 Score inserted a set of HOF players called The Franchise. The set was composed of 3 players: Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle, and Carl Yastrzemski. A fourth card had all 3 players on it. What made these cards even more of a chase is that Score also included autograph versions of each of the cards including the 3 player card. They made 2000 of each single player autograph, and 500 of the triple autograph. I have seen a few of these in person over the years and have been tempted a few times to buy one, but never pulled the trigger. I have to say the triple autograph is definitely my favorite and is today's fun card of the day.

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/20
(10-21-2015, 07:38 AM)djohn Wrote: In 1993 Score debuted a new "premium" product called Select. The cards were nice, but they had some really good inserts that have been forgotten over the years. My favorite insert is the Aces insert, which were only available in "super-packs" (essentially jumbo packs) with 28 cards in each pack. The Aces insert were tough pulls by insert standards for the time, as they landed around 1 in 2 boxes and the super-packs were definitely harder to find than the regular hobby and retail packs. While there are several big name players in this set I went with a lesser name, that at the time was a HUGE name. Juan Guzman was highly collectible back in 1993, and I probably still have a stock-pile of his 1992 Donruss cards somewhere. Unfortunately he didn't pan out, but this card still stands out to me.
I love those inserts, especially the silver background.....im not sure who I have of these......maybe john smolz

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/24
(10-25-2015, 08:51 PM)djohn Wrote: In 1992 Score inserted a set of HOF players called The Franchise. The set was composed of 3 players: Stan Musial, Mickey Mantle, and Carl Yastrzemski. A fourth card had all 3 players on it. What made these cards even more of a chase is that Score also included autograph versions of each of the cards including the 3 player card. They made 2000 of each single player autograph, and 500 of the triple autograph. I have seen a few of these in person over the years and have been tempted a few times to buy one, but never pulled the trigger. I have to say the triple autograph is definitely my favorite and is today's fun card of the day.
An amazing card! I wish I was one of the lucky 500 that own one!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.