`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Poll: Do you want to see more posts like this?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
No, keep the reminiscing to yourself.
5.56%
2 5.56%
Yes, please post a new thread every day.
8.33%
3 8.33%
Yes, please add a new post to this thread every day.
86.11%
31 86.11%
Total 36 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 4.2 Average
Fun card of the day

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/17
Today's card is from one of my favorite one time sets done by Topps in 1990. The 1990 Topps Heads Up cards (if you can call them cards) were one of the really cool and fun items from 1990. If you have never seen one in person then you're missing out. They are essentially die-cut to the outline of the players face and are the size of a jumbo card. They have a hole that could be used to hang the card or stick it to a window (via a small suction cup). There is even a 2nd year Griffey card in the set, though that's not the one I chose. I selected card #2 of Will Clark as it's not only graded buy there is something peculiar about his face that made it stand out to me.
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/19
In 1989 Pacific decided to make a candy bar for distribution in the Northwestern US states, celebrating the greatly anticipated arrival of a great young ball player named Ken Griffey Jr. They called the candy bar the "Ken Griffey Jr Milk Chocolate Bar". For the launch of the candy bar, Pacific made promotional cards in 3 different colors: yellow, white, and blue. Now, the funny thing about this chocolate bar is that Ken Griffey Jr is allergic to chocolate, so he was never able to eat one. Since there are 3 different color variations, I decided on the one that I personally think looks the best, which is the yellow version. Here is the yellow promotional card along with a still unopened chocolate bar (though I wouldn't want to even try eating 26 year old chocolate).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/20
Maybe, again I say maybe, chocolate is like wine and cheese.
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(10-20-2015, 10:16 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: Maybe, again I say maybe, chocolate is like wine and cheese.
Definitely not the case. Chocolate gets really stale and bad with age. The soft sweet melt of milk chocolate becomes a bitter dry crumble after a few years. I only know as I found some Easter chocolate that had gotten hidden away in the back of the pantry for a year or so and tried it. Definitely won't make that mistake again. I can only imagine what 26 years would do to milk chocolate.

(10-20-2015, 11:00 AM)djohn Wrote: Definitely not the case. Chocolate gets really stale and bad with age. The soft sweet melt of milk chocolate becomes a bitter dry crumble after a few years. I only know as I found some Easter chocolate that had gotten hidden away in the back of the pantry for a year or so and tried it. Definitely won't make that mistake again. I can only imagine what 26 years would do to milk chocolate.
Oh, Ok. Oh, wait. What about dark chocolate? They say it is "healthier" than milk chocolate. But, that is ironic that they made a chocolate bar in honor of "The Kid" and he's allergic to it.

In 1993 Score debuted a new "premium" product called Select. The cards were nice, but they had some really good inserts that have been forgotten over the years. My favorite insert is the Aces insert, which were only available in "super-packs" (essentially jumbo packs) with 28 cards in each pack. The Aces insert were tough pulls by insert standards for the time, as they landed around 1 in 2 boxes and the super-packs were definitely harder to find than the regular hobby and retail packs. While there are several big name players in this set I went with a lesser name, that at the time was a HUGE name. Juan Guzman was highly collectible back in 1993, and I probably still have a stock-pile of his 1992 Donruss cards somewhere. Unfortunately he didn't pan out, but this card still stands out to me.

RE: Fun card of the day - updated 10/21
On a separate note does anyone know how to remove the poll from the top of the thread? I used the pop-up chat to ask and they said they would report it and have it removed within 24-48 hours, but it's been almost a week and it's still there.

(10-21-2015, 08:56 AM)djohn Wrote: On a separate note does anyone know how to remove the poll from the top of the thread? I used the pop-up chat to ask and they said they would report it and have it removed within 24-48 hours, but it's been almost a week and it's still there.
no I don't, but I saw one poll that said "Poll Closed".

In the 90s there were some really cool and unique inserts as companies experimented with foil, die-cutting, and prismatic/reflective technologies. It was a time in which card companies were trying to outdo each other and make unique inserts in order to get business, as opposed to simply putting out more of the same stuff (which is where I feel we are at now). Anyhow, today's fun card of the day comes from the 1997 Pinnacle Shades insert. Pinnacle actually made a shades subset in 1992, which was cool but in 1997 they took it to the extreme with a foil based die-cut insert with a mirror surface (making them tough to scan). I chose the Frank Thomas card because he was a huge name in 1997, but also because the picture looks so good and really shows off the card well.

Wow. That really is a BIG Hurt. One lens ad his nose fills my screen.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html