Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Fun card of the day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
I was reading an article about Ken Griffey Jr's cards and it got me thinking about all the cool cards from the past that some people might've never seen or forgotten about. Since I love reminiscing about cards, and I am sure I am not alone regarding that, I figured I would post a card a day to reminisce about. Most of the cards will be fun or really cool looking. Since the idea came to me after looking at Ken Griffey Jr cards, I figured I would start with a fun Griffey card from one of my favorite sets of the early 90s, Upper Deck's Comic Ball. Comic Ball was a great collaboration between Looney Toons and Upper Deck. It started in 1990 and lasted a couple years. It has had several great players like Nolan Ryan, Reggie Jackson, Ken Griffey Jr and Sr, and others including other sports as well. The highlight of the sets was the hologram inserts, as hologram cards were all the rage back in the early 90s. So without further adieu here is my card of the day, 1992 Upper Deck Comic Ball 3 Holograms #4 starring Ken Griffey Jr and Yosemite Sam.

[Image: s-l1600.jpg]

Now, what I would like to know is if you enjoy this post and would like to see more. I could try and do this every day, though I will probably miss a day here or there. If you do like this then the next question is whether you want to see a new thread each day or just a single long rolling thread. Please fill out the poll to let me know. Thanks
Haha! So awesome. I can vividly remember chasing those "rarities". Good stuff. I got a ton of binders given to me last spring full of that type of thing. Tons of holograms.
Nice,
I think i have that set as well as a few others. Thats for sharing.
Great Thread djohn.....keep em coming..........
Love it!!

I voted #3
Ok, the majority of people voted to see a new post to this thread every day. I will do my best to put up something fun from the past each day, though I am sure I will miss a day here and there. Today's card is a 1992 Topps Kids card of Andre Dawson. I remember opening up quite a few of these packs back in 1992 and thinking they were unique and cool. They didn't hold much value then and still don't today, but the cartoonish players and backgrounds are still fun, and the info on the back of the cards was informative and not just a bunch of stats. I picked the Andre Dawson card from this set, because not only did he get a huge cartoon body but the hawk coming in over his shoulder is a great tie-in to his nickname "The Hawk".
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
[Image: Andre-Dawson.jpg?id=d35176d2-cf98-4163-a...&side=back]
That's really cool.
I loved the Hawk. Nice stuff!
(10-13-2015, 02:13 PM)magneto2 Wrote: [ -> ]I loved the Hawk. Nice stuff!
+1 The Hawk, Sandberg, Grace, Maddux, Wild Thing, Jerome Walton (110mph fastball from shortstop to the seats above 1st base) oh those were the days...heh
cool stuff man, like you say i totally forgot about these!! keep em coming!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15