Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Fun card of the day
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Comic books were huge in the early to mid 90s and every so often elements of comics made it into cards. In 1996 Topps created an insert set for Stadium Club that showed a comic style depiction of a players nick-name or persona. The set was called Megaheroes and the cards were inserted one per box or 1 in 2 boxes depending on whether it was retail or hobby. One of my favorites is of Andres Galarraga, aka The Big Cat.
[Image: s-l1600.jpg]
[Image: back.jpg]

As a side note, Topps also made Members Only sets that paralleled the base set and all insert sets including the Megaheroes set. They are distinguishable by a Members Only foil stamp on the front. I was tempted to use the Members Only parallel as my card of the day, but figured I would use the regular card. For those interested in the Members Only version, you can see a picture of one in the Beckett database at the link below.
http://www.beckett.com/baseball/1996/sta...magetabs-1
I have been doing this thread for a month now. Hopefully people are happy to see it everyday. However I am getting extra busy lately, so I am not sure if I will be able to keep up each day. As is evident in the fact that I didn't update the thread yesterday. I am going to keep things short today, and may try to continue with just doing short posts instead of writing up a description and reason for each post.
Not sure how many people remember Jose Canseco pitching in a game, but I remember it and remember how cool I thought this card was when Score came out with it. Nothing fancy or tough to find, just a fun base card: 1994 Score #61.
[Image: Jose-Canseco.jpg?id=d490b7a7-0fd9-4746-9...e=original]
[Image: Jose-Canseco.jpg?id=d490b7a7-0fd9-4746-9...&side=back]
Never lost interest. Dont remember Canseco pitching but I remember Mark Grace although I do not think they made a card for it. If I remember right he was making an impression on his face of Randy Johnson as a mad mean pitcher.
(11-15-2015, 05:07 PM)djohn Wrote: [ -> ]I have been doing this thread for a month now. Hopefully people are happy to see it everyday. However I am getting extra busy lately, so I am not sure if I will be able to keep up each day. As is evident in the fact that I didn't update the thread yesterday. I am going to keep things short today, and may try to continue with just doing short posts instead of writing up a description and reason for each post.
Not sure how many people remember Jose Canseco pitching in a game, but I remember it and remember how cool I thought this card was when Score came out with it. Nothing fancy or tough to find, just a fun base card: 1994 Score #61.
[Image: Jose-Canseco.jpg?id=d490b7a7-0fd9-4746-9...e=original]
[Image: Jose-Canseco.jpg?id=d490b7a7-0fd9-4746-9...&side=back]
I wonder IF Tanner has this card?
(11-15-2015, 07:59 PM)nolan5000 Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder IF Tanner has this card?
He does, as well as the Gold parallel. Not sure if there are any little known variations like a lot of other 80s and early 90s cards had from the mass-production era. If there are then he might need them, but most likely if he knows about them he already has them.
I remember this I believe i have the card as well, pretty weird they used him to pitch
(11-15-2015, 05:33 PM)waynetalger Wrote: [ -> ]Never lost interest. Dont remember Canseco pitching but I remember Mark Grace although I do not think they made a card for it. If I remember right he was making an impression on his face of Randy Johnson as a mad mean pitcher.
Grace was impersonating Mike Fetters, a very mediocre relief pitcher with a flair for the dramatic. Try to find some youtube video of him. He was super-dramatic.

I remember Canseco's pitching performance. He threw his arm out and ended up missing a number of games.
Speaking of Mark Grace, I will use him for today's card. Which is actually more like a mini-book, or maybe I should say a booklet (before booklet cards are what they are today). I remember getting the "packs" which were actually small boxed sets. There were 3 different sets, distinguishable by the color of the box and the checklist of players on the back. To me these small boxed sets were great, as I would know which players I was getting when buying the pack and they were literally everywhere (like most baseball cards at the time you could buy them at gas stations, grocery stores, big chain stores, convenient stores, and even card shops). So here it is, the 1990 Collect-A-Books card of Mark Grace.
[Image: Mark-Grace.jpg?id=99bd0a34-1c74-4157-b5d...e=original]
[Image: Mark-Grace.jpg?id=99bd0a34-1c74-4157-b5d...&side=back]
As a kid I loved the Fleer Pro-Vision cards. I remember putting together the set in 1991 and then trading for the white border set that came with the Factory set. At the time I was a big Mets fan and love the Gooden and Strawberry Pro-Vision card. However over time one of my favorites is the Mark McGwire card with the American flag backdrop. Here it is 1991 Fleer Pro-Vision #4 Mark McGwire.
[Image: Mark-McGwire.jpg?id=b28b3b46-3eae-44fb-8...e=original]
[Image: Mark-McGwire.jpg?id=b28b3b46-3eae-44fb-8...&side=back]
I have the '92 Pro-Vision Nolan Graded BGS 9.5; originally it was a PSA 10 that I crossed over.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15