`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US175 the Trout are jumping again!

RE: US175 the Trout are jumping again!
(09-15-2019, 04:13 PM)djohn Wrote: I think you miss the point of this thread. The Trout is much more widely collected and desired, then most other cards. Some people, like myself don't check pricing on it regularly (even though I have 20 copies of it). I do appreciate when someone points out that there has been a jump in price, as I have one in my trade box that I bring with me to my LCS for trade nights. I had 2 in that box, but traded one away not that long ago when it was $400. The fact that it has grown 50% in value in less than a year is amazing, especially considering it's just a base card from Topps. Honestly, I think there is potential for the card to be a $1000 card sooner than later.
Another card that amazed me in continued value jump is 2013-14 Prizm Giannis RC, as I had one in my trade box marked as $120 last trade night and then someone pointed out it's big jump and I switched it to a one-touch and changed the mark on it to $400 to reflect the new book value. If someone hadn't pointed it out to me, then I could've easily traded it thinking it was still a $120 card. So I do appreciate posts like this.
Right. I was talking tongue-in-cheek! It started as a simple question and has blossomed into something else to antagonize others...we can just let it go as an inside joke.Big Grin

(09-15-2019, 04:13 PM)djohn Wrote: I think you miss the point of this thread. The Trout is much more widely collected and desired, then most other cards. Some people, like myself don't check pricing on it regularly (even though I have 20 copies of it). I do appreciate when someone points out that there has been a jump in price, as I have one in my trade box that I bring with me to my LCS for trade nights. I had 2 in that box, but traded one away not that long ago when it was $400. The fact that it has grown 50% in value in less than a year is amazing, especially considering it's just a base card from Topps. Honestly, I think there is potential for the card to be a $1000 card sooner than later.
Another card that amazed me in continued value jump is 2013-14 Prizm Giannis RC, as I had one in my trade box marked as $120 last trade night and then someone pointed out it's big jump and I switched it to a one-touch and changed the mark on it to $400 to reflect the new book value. If someone hadn't pointed it out to me, then I could've easily traded it thinking it was still a $120 card. So I do appreciate posts like this.
In terms of Giannis cards, if he has another stellar season like last year, I think his Select rookie is going to fly. His Prizm rookie is almost out of reach for many people and the Select one is similar.

More on topic, apparently Trout's Diamond Anniversary parallel has exploded in value? The last time I checked it was around $500, but now it is selling for over $2,000 on eBay! Wtf?!
There is a God and his name is Billy Joel

Thanks! I think you gave another great example of why some of us follow the value of our cards. Personally, I see a big jump in my collection value and like to ID the reason. When it surprises me, I figure it might surprise others. My reasons for this 'public service announcement' is well illustrated in the example you gave. It's kinda important for people to know the perceived value of their cards, as not to be ripped off or in turn, rip off someone else. In reality, a card is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it, but as it's been showing up for sale with regularity, 2011 US175 is being traded and sold for big money.

(09-15-2019, 10:52 AM)cspen Wrote: My 25 yr old son knows how to go onto my Beckett account to check card values so when I pass on and he inherits all my card he will know what the values are if he decides to sell
Very smart and wise.
(09-14-2019, 08:26 PM)garrisc Wrote: I do not know if it is so much I care about the price increase as much as I enjoy the increase. Everytime the card goes up in value I get to smile and remind myself I probably paid a couple dollars for the card and a little more to get it graded. Just a good feeling. I will not be selling mine but will be passed on to my nephews with the rest of my collection.
I enjoy it too!
Your nephews are lucky to have an uncle like you!
(09-15-2019, 07:24 PM)hempick Wrote: More on topic, apparently Trout's Diamond Anniversary parallel has exploded in value? The last time I checked it was around $500, but now it is selling for over $2,000 on eBay! Wtf?!
During the past 2 season the Diamond, Cognac, Red Target and Blue Walmart parallels have been most volatile both up and down. I think in 2017 The Target Red border was about 2-3X higher than today. The others have been increasing more steadily.
(09-15-2019, 04:48 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Right. I was talking tongue-in-cheek! It started as a simple question and has blossomed into something else to antagonize others...we can just let it go as an inside joke.Big Grin
It seemed like a good, sincere question when you posted it K&B. It seemed like a good introspective analysis was needed and it wasn't perceived as antagonistic. I'm sorry that you don't feel similarly interested in changing card values but I'm not here to convince you that you should, I was just giving you (and maybe others) examples of why it might be useful to know.
Also, I'm sorry that you did't enjoy my previous posts about Trout's RC rising value, but I thought it newsworthy each time. I can't honestly say that I won't do it again in the future, but I'll apologize in advance for knowing I will. Smile

[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

What's crazy is that if Trout didn't end his season short he could've hit 50 HRs and I bet that would've set his Update RC up in value even higher. There have already been some raw sales on eBay over $600 and the PSA10 is now being comped around $1200. It might be sooner than I expect for the card to hit $1,000 BV.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(09-15-2019, 07:45 PM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Thanks! I think you gave another great example of why some of us follow the value of our cards. Personally, I see a big jump in my collection value and like to ID the reason. When it surprises me, I figure it might surprise others. My reasons for this 'public service announcement' is well illustrated in the example you gave. It's kinda important for people to know the perceived value of their cards, as not to be ripped off or in turn, rip off someone else. In reality, a card is only worth what a person is willing to pay for it, but as it's been showing up for sale with regularity, 2011 US175 is being traded and sold for big money.

Very smart and wise.

I enjoy it too!
Your nephews are lucky to have an uncle like you!

During the past 2 season the Diamond, Cognac, Red Target and Blue Walmart parallels have been most volatile both up and down. I think in 2017 The Target Red border was about 2-3X higher than today. The others have been increasing more steadily.

It seemed like a good, sincere question when you posted it K&B. It seemed like a good introspective analysis was needed and it wasn't perceived as antagonistic. I'm sorry that you don't feel similarly interested in changing card values but I'm not here to convince you that you should, I was just giving you (and maybe others) examples of why it might be useful to know.
Also, I'm sorry that you did't enjoy my previous posts about Trout's RC rising value, but I thought it newsworthy each time. I can't honestly say that I won't do it again in the future, but I'll apologize in advance for knowing I will. Smile
No apology necessary or requested! I was just raising a question to discuss and never intended it to turn out the way it did.

Your posts did not bother me at all...just wondering why so many watch his values unless they are selling currently. That's all.

(09-16-2019, 09:03 AM)djohn Wrote: What's crazy is that if Trout didn't end his season short he could've hit 50 HRs and I bet that would've set his Update RC up in value even higher. There have already been some raw sales on eBay over $600 and the PSA10 is now being comped around $1200. It might be sooner than I expect for the card to hit $1,000 BV.
Right!?!
That Morton's neuroma must have been pretty horrible if he couldn't tough it out another 12 games as a DH. He could have had surgery in October. I only know of 2 patients of mine that had the same thing and they were able to get injections to alleviate the symptoms until they got their surgery.
(09-16-2019, 09:19 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: No apology necessary or requested! I was just raising a question to discuss and never intended it to turn out the way it did.
Your posts did not bother me at all...just wondering why so many watch his values unless they are selling currently. That's all.
Thanks! Like I said, I thought it was a good question. And I think I'm going to steal a quote of mine from my answer as part of my signature. So, I got something out of the discourse.
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I like that the value has steadily gone up on this card. I have never bought a hobby or jumbo box of Topps Update only blasters. So I pulled my card from a blaster and put it in a box with thousands of other rookie cards. One day while looking through that box, I discovered I had the card. I don't remember the value then but I sent it in for grading and it came back a half point from being a perfect black label 10.

(09-16-2019, 12:22 PM)cspen Wrote: I like that the value has steadily gone up on this card. I have never bought a hobby or jumbo box of Topps Update only blasters. So I pulled my card from a blaster and put it in a box with thousands of other rookie cards. One day while looking through that box, I discovered I had the card. I don't remember the value then but I sent it in for grading and it came back a half point from being a perfect black label 10.
Pretty fortunate you found it ... I'm sure it could have easily been overlooked.
I believe I found some of mine in blasters, but most were from some other retail packages that were available ... I bought a ton of these boxes that had 3 or 5 packs of Update, 2 packs of chrome and an exclusive chrome card. Honestly, I was hooked on the Topps online game as was buying them mostly for the code cards which usually fell 1:box and these boxes were less money than a blaster, so I figured it was a better deal. In retrospect, the code cards got me a ton of worthless, low grade condition old topps cards, but the surprise were a bunch of those pesky US175 popping up all the time. Smile

Hey, the US175 was just labeled by Beckett as the #1 most impactful card of their top 10 Impact cards. That was this most recent issues cover story!

I dont think its Hyperbole to state that the US175 Trout is the modern day 52 Topps Mantle.They may not end up being the same value, and Im sure there are more US175 Trouts in Mint Condition than there are Mantles, but the hype seems to be there.

(09-20-2019, 08:02 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: Pretty fortunate you found it ... I'm sure it could have easily been overlooked.
I believe I found some of mine in blasters, but most were from some other retail packages that were available ... I bought a ton of these boxes that had 3 or 5 packs of Update, 2 packs of chrome and an exclusive chrome card. Honestly, I was hooked on the Topps online game as was buying them mostly for the code cards which usually fell 1:box and these boxes were less money than a blaster, so I figured it was a better deal. In retrospect, the code cards got me a ton of worthless, low grade condition old topps cards, but the surprise were a bunch of those pesky US175 popping up all the time. Smile
Those red retail boxes that were exclusive to Walmart and included not just a code card but also a Bryce Harper card (red, silver, or gold). I opened literally hundreds of those boxes. I remember rumors of the Bowman Chrome packs being hotter in these boxes and that was the main reason I went around buying the boxes up, along with the online code. I actually ended up winning multiple complete sets of the Diamond DieCut cards from the codes, along with a ton of crap cards and a few decent ones too. My wife still remembers this as well, because I made her drive with me for a 100 mile radius to go to every Walmart and buy out their stock of these boxes. The best single card I pulled at the time was a BC Orange Auto of Brett Lawrie which I sold for $2k at the time (now it's worth WAY WAY less, and it always reminds me of the dangers of prospecting, especially on a single card).
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/