`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
US175 the Trout are jumping again!

RE: US175 the Trout are jumping again!
(09-14-2019, 10:02 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Don't hate the messenger, but I have a legitimate question...
Why care if the card keeps going up if you are just going to keep it? I understand if you are looking for a buyer, but does the value of your collection really matter when it is just on paper? Or, are some of you using this hobby as a part of your retirement plan?
It's a very good and legit question.
But the answer requires a few different perspectives.

1) for those of us that collect just to collect:
isn't it good to know value of your collection for insurance purposes? God forbid ... fire, water & theft ... you need to know current value for replacement value purposes

2) for those of us that collect and trade:
isn't it good to know that you have something of value so that you can fairly trade for something else of value?
I don't like opportunistic a-holes that want to 'get over' on an unsuspecting trade partner.

3) for those of us that realize we are not immortal:
isn't it good to know that when you pass on and go to meet your maker, your family that survives you are not screwed over by a card shop when they eventually sell your collection to raise money to keep living once you're not around to provide for them?

4) for those of us that may need extra cash for emergencies:
isn't it good to know that you can throw a Trout RC up on eBay for $XXX.xx and know that within a few days you'll get that money?

My opinion, no matter which of the above that apply, it's ALWAYS better to know the value than being ignorant of it.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

(09-14-2019, 11:01 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: It's a very good and legit question.
But the answer requires a few different perspectives.

1) for those of us that collect just to collect:
isn't it good to know value of your collection for insurance purposes? God forbid ... fire, water & theft ... you need to know current value for replacement value purposes

2) for those of us that collect and trade:
isn't it good to know that you have something of value so that you can fairly trade for something else of value?
I don't like opportunistic a-holes that want to 'get over' on an unsuspecting trade partner.

3) for those of us that realize we are not immortal:
isn't it good to know that when you pass on and go to meet your maker, your family that survives you are not screwed over by a card shop when they eventually sell your collection to raise money to keep living once you're not around to provide for them?

4) for those of us that may need extra cash for emergencies:
isn't it good to know that you can throw a Trout RC up on eBay for $XXX.xx and know that within a few days you'll get that money?

My opinion, no matter which of the above that apply, it's ALWAYS better to know the value than being ignorant of it.
Well spoken, but you answered why to know the value. I was asking a different question.

(09-14-2019, 11:30 AM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Well spoken, but you answered why to know the value. I was asking a different question.
Hey K&B, according to what I read, you basically asked 3 questions
1) Why care if the card keeps going up if you are just going to keep it?
I think I throughly answered that question, according to my perspective and examples given.

2) I understand if you are looking for a buyer, but does the value of your collection really matter when it is just on paper?
I think I answered this fairly exhaustedly.

3) Or are some of you using this hobby as a part of your retirement plan?
I didn't answer this because I never plan to retire, so I never need a retirement plan. Smile But I do plan on my eventual inevitable demise, so I answered that way, as I see it. I'll leave it to others to answer the retirement question.

But was there something more left unanswered? If so, I'll give you my opinion.
I have a lot of cards, I have even more comic books that I never plan on selling ... but I still enjoy knowing that an item I bought for less than a $1 that I totally enjoyed, and it moved with me, and I saved and protected it for 40+ years is now worth $1,000. (Sure, For every one like that, I probably have 100 that are virtually valueless) but knowing there's a value there helps me justify my hobby to myelf and my family.
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags or old comic books and baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value. Smile
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I don't speak medical jargon, so let me try another way...JK!

I also check for value changes, and I also like to see green arrows. But, there have been 3 threads in the past year specifically about Trout RC increases. That is my point: why care about his value increase if you plan to keep.

When I see the Update Trout take a big jump in value, I compare it to the finding a dollar on the sidewalk, and as you go and pick it up, it gets pulled away from you by someone snickering and hiding behind a tree. LOL!!

On an unrelated note, Im fairly stunned Dr Mitch changed his avatar.

I love lamp
Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

(09-14-2019, 02:44 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I don't speak medical jargon, so let me try another way...JK!

I also check for value changes, and I also like to see green arrows. But, there have been 3 threads in the past year specifically about Trout RC increases. That is my point: why care about his value increase if you plan to keep.
I totally understand the question ... why care? I do. I mentioned so many different ways why I care even if I'm keeping them and not selling them. Can anyone else explain it better?
(09-14-2019, 04:31 PM)flamethrower Wrote: I love lamp
I like turtles
(09-14-2019, 04:06 PM)jbissell Wrote: When I see the Update Trout take a big jump in value, I compare it to the finding a dollar on the sidewalk, and as you go and pick it up, it gets pulled away from you by someone snickering and hiding behind a tree. LOL!!

On an unrelated note, Im fairly stunned Dr Mitch changed his avatar.
LOL Sorry you get that feeling but one day you'll get that dollar before it's yanked away!

Thanks for noticing the avatar change. One day my Thurman avatar vanished and I can't find where the pic is, so I replaced it with a pic of my 2012 Museum ROY dual auto Hellickson/Trout /15 ... its my only Trout auto ... and based on current pricing of Trout autos, it will be my only auto unless I pack pull one.

I do not know if it is so much I care about the price increase as much as I enjoy the increase. Everytime the card goes up in value I get to smile and remind myself I probably paid a couple dollars for the card and a little more to get it graded. Just a good feeling. I will not be selling mine but will be passed on to my nephews with the rest of my collection.

My 25 yr old son knows how to go onto my Beckett account to check card values so when I pass on and he inherits all my card he will know what the values are if he decides to sell

(09-15-2019, 03:30 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I will start a new thread every time one of my Twins cards increase in value.
I think you miss the point of this thread. The Trout is much more widely collected and desired, then most other cards. Some people, like myself don't check pricing on it regularly (even though I have 20 copies of it). I do appreciate when someone points out that there has been a jump in price, as I have one in my trade box that I bring with me to my LCS for trade nights. I had 2 in that box, but traded one away not that long ago when it was $400. The fact that it has grown 50% in value in less than a year is amazing, especially considering it's just a base card from Topps. Honestly, I think there is potential for the card to be a $1000 card sooner than later.
Another card that amazed me in continued value jump is 2013-14 Prizm Giannis RC, as I had one in my trade box marked as $120 last trade night and then someone pointed out it's big jump and I switched it to a one-touch and changed the mark on it to $400 to reflect the new book value. If someone hadn't pointed it out to me, then I could've easily traded it thinking it was still a $120 card. So I do appreciate posts like this.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/