`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beckett forums is not what it was before 5yrs ago

RE: Beckett forums is not what it was before 5yrs ago
(06-26-2014, 10:24 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: I joined/signed up back in '05 but didn't actually do anything on here until 2009. I loved the place (apparently it had just changed over) and it was hopping pretty good on here with plenty of both card and baseball topics as well as plenty of trading going on. Topics would go back and forth with people giving plenty of good insight into whatever.

Discussions now though don't seem to last and it's usually the same people chiming in. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a thread started, and a good topic at that, with over a hundred views yet not one response. I find that to be kind of disheartening. Typically the threads that get the most responses are threads ranting about the site (justifiably so), call out threads, or threads that have trolls in them. It seems nobody wants to actually discuss things anymore.

In regards to trading, when I came back on in 2009, this site is what got me going again into collecting and I was loving it. Plenty of people who would trade anything for anything and plenty of player and set collectors. It seems now, at least when I've tried again a couple of times in the past year, the population on here seems to be too focused on the "high value" cards, auto/game used cards, and the hot prospect of the day. Not saying that's bad, but at least for me it doesn't work as it appears to be very heavily focused on very small segments of the hobby. I personally could care less about the value of a card (you wouldn't ever see me knocking those that have lots of commons in their ORG), don't see the big deal about an autographed card especially when it's pretty easy nowadays to find an autograph of even the biggest stars in the game (they aren't rare, not a big deal), find game used to be a joke, and typically the hot prospect just turns into a pretty good ball player if they don't flame out within a year or two.

I believe there are a multitude of factors why this place isn't the same as it was 5 years ago. I could probably go on, but what's the point?
I'm a team collector basically looking to trade for lower end cards. I might get one response in eight trades I send out.

(06-26-2014, 10:24 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: In regards to trading, when I came back on in 2009, this site is what got me going again into collecting and I was loving it. Plenty of people who would trade anything for anything and plenty of player and set collectors. It seems now, at least when I've tried again a couple of times in the past year, the population on here seems to be too focused on the "high value" cards, auto/game used cards, and the hot prospect of the day. Not saying that's bad, but at least for me it doesn't work as it appears to be very heavily focused on very small segments of the hobby. I personally could care less about the value of a card (you wouldn't ever see me knocking those that have lots of commons in their ORG), don't see the big deal about an autographed card especially when it's pretty easy nowadays to find an autograph of even the biggest stars in the game (they aren't rare, not a big deal), find game used to be a joke, and typically the hot prospect just turns into a pretty good ball player if they don't flame out within a year or two.
I couldn't agree more but would also add that I tried Blowout and they are just as bad if not worse. It's all prospects all the time over there. No interest in continuing to go on there. This place was great when I came back to the hobby in 2010 but tumbleweeds blow through here now. I could put up with a badly working site back then because this place was jumping. With Beckett's "new" attitude, a site that still doesn't work correctly, and the lack of traders it just isn't worth it. I have sworn off this hobby about 10 times in the last couple of years and always come back. Because of that I won't say I am done with the hobby but will say because of my unhappiness with Topps, this site, moving soon, and personal issues with large hospital bills I need to pay it is time for me to step away for an extended break from collecting. I have a couple trades to finish up here and will be deleting my Org since Beckett will eventually and it is butchered anyway. Some of that is my fault and some Beckett's because cards keep popping back up that I erased MONTHS ago. I expect to come back at some point because I always do. I really hope that when I do come back that this place is what it once was...FUN. Sorry to be so long winded Smile

I joined back in 04' and the Beckett site reminded me a site designed for "collectors and traders" Everyone was happy to help out with trades, selling wasn't an issue and the Forums were filled with positive posts.
Fast Forward to what Beckett has transformed this site into: irritating advertising banners, pay-to-trade, extensive server downtime. I mean the list goes on and on. I really like this site but the way Beckett charges for every little thing it feels like paying for air to breath.
Nick Singh and Sandeep Dua can keep selling their "new and improved" product to whomever they want to but I'm not buying.
(06-27-2014, 07:03 AM)phillies816 Wrote: this place is what it once was...FUN.
AMEN!

I am pretty much in agreement with both sides here. From when I joined 3+ years ago, the site is a lot quicker and better. Is it perfect? Nope. Will ANYTHING ever be perfect? Nope.

What I like about this place above all ... Its The people! I genuinely have found super nice, enthusiastic, card collectors here. I'm continually amazed and encouraged by others sincerity and generousity ... and i'm sure that everything here will be fine as long as good people stick around. My first year, all I remember reading about were posts complaining about people getting burned on trades, and scammers not sending their cards, etc, etc. Originally I was very, very hesitant to do any trading! But today, although I don't trade much (but that's my fault) the times I have traded, everything has been cool.
I'd rather have 1000 great people here than 10,000 questionable people. I would hope that everyone could stick around and find a way to justify some payment to keep their ORG in tact and keep trading. Like I said before ... A Beckett magazine subscription, Org and OPG costs me about $100 a year. That's the best $100 I spend. I get more enjoyment from that investment than almost anything. For the cost of an expensive meal with my family I get 12 magazines that I was paying for ($10 each) off the stands, plus everything else!? Still a bargain from my POV.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I have been an on and off (95% on) paying customer since 1999.
Beckett has hurt the hobby, they have also helped the hobby tremendously. They hurt it by not being realistic in their pricing, by not up dating their pricing (for older products), by having site issues when collectors are really into their hobby at the moment and try to log on and can’t or get some other issue “we are working on”. They have refused to acknowledge that they have charged collectors for a service that at a time was working less than 50% of the time. Yes that has been fixed, however still every week I can’t log on, find a price or the site is so slow I just give up. If any retailer sold me a product that works like Beckett I would want my money back, or a partial refund.
As for pricing, I have a data base in excel that I enter all my cards in with the price at the time I enter them. I have cards that still have a $5.00 or $10.00 price associated with them from being entered in 2004, 2005, etc (I change them as I see new sale. This is the only way to keep my collections price close to current. Becket list a price, keeps up with it for a year, MAYBE, and then forgets about it. Hence you end up with 10’s of thousands of out dated prices. It’s not a big deal to serious collectors but it is major with new collectors as they start off with inaccurate information about their cards. They think they have a $5.00 card according to Beckett but their LCS sells it for .60 cents. It immediately disillusions collectors about Beckett AND the hobby.
I can’t say enough how disappointed my son was when we got into collecting and he found out about the pricing issues. He and I now go to the bay when we want a TRUE price for a card more than two years old. Example Rod Carew, 2001 Donruss auto, the bay $18.00, Beckett price more than double that. With software nowadays I’m sure it can be much more accurate, they (Beckett) chose NOT to keep it accurate. This site has disillusioned me so many times, you need a pickup after a bad, bad, bad day, you go to your hobby, BANM, BANM, BANM, “sorry we are doing maintenance, site will be back up shortly”. I along with my son, HATED this site, but it was all we had. Between the pricing, site issues, pricing (heck they can’t even let you have Baseball OPG for 3 years (if you buy a gold membership) instead they make you take “Total Access”-what the heck do I care about other sport pricing-I collect Baseball, your giving 3 “years worth access anyway, why not find a way to keep me here more than one year. at least let me pick what I want if your going to give the OPG “free.. It’s so many little things like that that I dislike about this site. So easily to make purchaser friendly but they chose not to.
BEFORE I get my head bashed in (which is another reason to dislike the site, although Beckett has no control over it-You don’t like what I have said, It’s my posting, my opinion and you don’t need to bash it, I don’t bash you because I don’t like what you said nor do I feel the need to tell you why I “HATE” your post-no I do not). This site has SO many pluses. It was one of the reasons I got into collecting, because I realized I was not alone collecting and cards were not just to put in bike spokes. I found others to talk to, realistic pricing, pictures of cards, serial numbers to tell me print runs. I learned about refractors and super fractors, xfractors, what manufactures called their cards (ice, sparkle, etc) so I learned the proper terminology. I learned that there was a market for cards and a BIG difference in collectability. I learned what was hot, what was rare, I learned all about sticker and on card auto’s and the list keeps going. This was, and possibly is, with the potential to be a GREAT site. They just need to work on one project at a time, fix it correctly and ASK for their paying customers feed back on why the do and don’t like the site.
It’s bad enough that Topps is pushing me out the door. With today’s technology they can make some great graphics but they can’t cut or center a card. And the most important part of an autographed card, they feel the need to put the sticker on at a 20-30 degree slant. What, are you kidding me, is it really that difficult. My conspiracy theory is they just don’t want too many 10”s out there. So they are pushing me out and I got Panini pulling me in big time. That’s another post .
So no, Beckett isn’t what it was, not because at times its worse but because at times it is so improved, just a little outdated. I don’t want Becket to go, I don’t mind the fees, NOTICE I said fees, that’s because at time that’s what it feels like using this site. A charge for everything. I will pay what is needed for me to continue the use of this site. I should be able to not purchase a OPG for months if I chose, maybe times are to hard right now for me to spare the price of OPG, I’m coming back, stop trying to make me feel like it’s your way or the highway and no in-between. I don’t eat steak every day for a reason and it’s not because I don’t like. I have to be frugal with money as everyone does.
I do LOVE you Beckett, truly, just hate the frustration sometimes.
Will always be looking for 2012 or 2013 Panini Cooperstown Signatures for the two sets I'm building-Will trade in your favor--will ship first--Thanks

(06-28-2014, 02:45 AM)happy14027 Wrote: I have been an on and off (95% on) paying customer since 1999.
BEFORE I get my head bashed in (which is another reason to dislike the site, although Beckett has no control over it-You don’t like what I have said, It’s my posting, my opinion and you don’t need to bash it, I don’t bash you because I don’t like what you said nor do I feel the need to tell you why I “HATE” your post-no I do not). This site has SO many pluses. It was one of the reasons I got into collecting, because I realized I was not alone collecting and cards were not just to put in bike spokes. I found others to talk to, realistic pricing, pictures of cards, serial numbers to tell me print runs. I learned about refractors and super fractors, xfractors, what manufactures called their cards (ice, sparkle, etc) so I learned the proper terminology. I learned that there was a market for cards and a BIG difference in collectability. I learned what was hot, what was rare, I learned all about sticker and on card auto’s and the list keeps going. This was, and possibly is, with the potential to be a GREAT site. They just need to work on one project at a time, fix it correctly and ASK for their paying customers feed back on why the do and don’t like the site.
It’s bad enough that Topps is pushing me out the door. With today’s technology they can make some great graphics but they can’t cut or center a card. And the most important part of an autographed card, they feel the need to put the sticker on at a 20-30 degree slant. What, are you kidding me, is it really that difficult. My conspiracy theory is they just don’t want too many 10”s out there. So they are pushing me out and I got Panini pulling me in big time. That’s another post
So no, Beckett isn’t what it was, not because at times its worse but because at times it is so improved, just a little outdated. I don’t want Becket to go, I don’t mind the fees, NOTICE I said fees, that’s because at time that’s what it feels like using this site. A charge for everything. I will pay what is needed for me to continue the use of this site. I should be able to not purchase a OPG for months if I chose, maybe times are to hard right now for me to spare the price of OPG, I’m coming back, stop trying to make me feel like it’s your way or the highway and no in-between. I don’t eat steak every day for a reason and it’s not because I don’t like. I have to be frugal with money as everyone does. I do LOVE you Beckett, truly, just hate the frustration sometimes.
All great and valid points!
BTW: I really got into Panini this year ... The stigma of the non-licensed product kept me away, but like you, the more Topps annoys me, the more I feel Panini calling to me. This year I dropped a ton on EEE .... Never been happier!

[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

This place is terrible. They know it and refuse to do anything about it, yet want money.
[Image: Signature_zpsnepr034k.jpg]

It's the same over in the FB forums as well - and I'm guilty of not being more active as well. I believe it is Facebook. There are so many groups on Facebook. I'm more active on FB now with trading and selling cards. A few groups actually have a "Beckett ID/SCF ID/etc..." file so we know who we're dealing with.

I will always say this though - the Beta switch killed membership. They fixed the site, but many members never came back.
[Image: bbd5_1.jpg][Image: beachebay3-1.jpg]

Agreed and its just getting worse. Seems most people who used to actually trade left, and it seems the majority left trying to trade with me are people who either want my $300 card when they're two highest are $50. Or the ones who continually ask you to check their org and never respond and just cancel after a week. I renewed my OPG for 6 months for like $20 to see if I can salvage anything. If the trades don't start flowing in the next 6 months I have no more use for this site and paying for beckett's products.
If you have less than 20 feedback you're sending first.

(06-28-2014, 02:45 AM)happy14027 Wrote: I have been an on and off (95% on) paying customer since 1999.
Beckett has hurt the hobby, they have also helped the hobby tremendously. They hurt it by not being realistic in their pricing, by not up dating their pricing (for older products), by having site issues when collectors are really into their hobby at the moment and try to log on and can’t or get some other issue “we are working on”. They have refused to acknowledge that they have charged collectors for a service that at a time was working less than 50% of the time. Yes that has been fixed, however still every week I can’t log on, find a price or the site is so slow I just give up. If any retailer sold me a product that works like Beckett I would want my money back, or a partial refund.
As for pricing, I have a data base in excel that I enter all my cards in with the price at the time I enter them. I have cards that still have a $5.00 or $10.00 price associated with them from being entered in 2004, 2005, etc (I change them as I see new sale. This is the only way to keep my collections price close to current. Becket list a price, keeps up with it for a year, MAYBE, and then forgets about it. Hence you end up with 10’s of thousands of out dated prices. It’s not a big deal to serious collectors but it is major with new collectors as they start off with inaccurate information about their cards. They think they have a $5.00 card according to Beckett but their LCS sells it for .60 cents. It immediately disillusions collectors about Beckett AND the hobby.
I can’t say enough how disappointed my son was when we got into collecting and he found out about the pricing issues. He and I now go to the bay when we want a TRUE price for a card more than two years old. Example Rod Carew, 2001 Donruss auto, the bay $18.00, Beckett price more than double that. With software nowadays I’m sure it can be much more accurate, they (Beckett) chose NOT to keep it accurate. This site has disillusioned me so many times, you need a pickup after a bad, bad, bad day, you go to your hobby, BANM, BANM, BANM, “sorry we are doing maintenance, site will be back up shortly”. I along with my son, HATED this site, but it was all we had. Between the pricing, site issues, pricing (heck they can’t even let you have Baseball OPG for 3 years (if you buy a gold membership) instead they make you take “Total Access”-what the heck do I care about other sport pricing-I collect Baseball, your giving 3 “years worth access anyway, why not find a way to keep me here more than one year. at least let me pick what I want if your going to give the OPG “free.. It’s so many little things like that that I dislike about this site. So easily to make purchaser friendly but they chose not to.
It’s bad enough that Topps is pushing me out the door. With today’s technology they can make some great graphics but they can’t cut or center a card. And the most important part of an autographed card, they feel the need to put the sticker on at a 20-30 degree slant. What, are you kidding me, is it really that difficult. My conspiracy theory is they just don’t want too many 10”s out there. So they are pushing me out and I got Panini pulling me in big time. That’s another post .
So no, Beckett isn’t what it was, not because at times its worse but because at times it is so improved, just a little outdated. I don’t want Becket to go, I don’t mind the fees, NOTICE I said fees, that’s because at time that’s what it feels like using this site. A charge for everything. I will pay what is needed for me to continue the use of this site. I should be able to not purchase a OPG for months if I chose, maybe times are to hard right now for me to spare the price of OPG, I’m coming back, stop trying to make me feel like it’s your way or the highway and no in-between. I don’t eat steak every day for a reason and it’s not because I don’t like. I have to be frugal with money as everyone does.
I do LOVE you Beckett, truly, just hate the frustration sometimes.
The site and magazine started going downhill the moment beckett was sold off. I don't believe vintage pricing has been updated/changed since before beckett was acquired by it's current parent company.