`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beckett forums is not what it was before 5yrs ago

RE: Beckett forums is not what it was before 5yrs ago
(06-25-2014, 08:34 PM)kfeldman Wrote: All of this might be true, but how much better is the site functioning now? I remember taking 2-3 minutes trying to load 1 card into my org or even have an entire day not being able to look on my trade page. Even though we might be paying more (or even paying at all), the functionality has improved 10 fold. I think people will start to return when word gets out about the ease of use and how much the site has improved.
I would have to DISAGREE with this. The site is slooooower then ever. In 2011 when I joined I could add cards in a second and get a trade started in the next minute. I used to have 10 trades going and accepted a day. Cards were being traded left and right.
Now, like said above, no new threads and trades are rare. I wish it was the way it used to be but also like said above change will always happen. I enjoy a trade here and there on here but not as many as the "old" days.

What people are seeing is maybe a rearranging of all the misinformation generated back into the system. The supposed NEW system was totally under powered, Beckett would not hire good techs and the system was down more than running properly.

Take notice, every page has advertising and nothing works until all the advertising loads. Plus you are being followed by the system as you travel the web. If I do something here, then go to yahoo, I get Beckett adds on every page a yahoo.

Anyway, the system will be OK for awhile, then start crashing again. They have always wanted to charge for trading here and they will. When there is a big push for MONEY, they jack the system up, take the money then let the system bogg down. They don't really care if it works or not. They have your money for another year.
I have been gone a long time, my ideas on collecting have changed as I have aged. Will only be here Off and On because things are different. Not going to do much Trading but will offer some items For Sale. As Always, Have FUN !...Mel

I can tell you this much, they start charging for trading on here and that'll be the final straw for me. I'm no going to pay someone to make a trade. We all spend a good $3-5 per trade between supplies and shipping costs on here, not to mention already giving money to Beckett for the org, OPG, etc. I mean, in essence, aren't we already paying them to trade? They shut off anyone who wasn't paying for one of the two, can't they just leave it at that?
Courtney Hawkins Supercollector
Always looking for ones we need!
58 cards needed for 1 of each unique card made! (Non 1/1's)

And just now as I read this I went to click on my org/trade and got this. "Sorry Trade is down for maintenance purpose"
If you have less than 20 feedback you're sending first.

(06-26-2014, 09:20 AM)bgt masters of tikid Wrote: And just now as I read this I went to click on my org/trade and got this. "Sorry Trade is down for maintenance purpose"
Im sorry, did we say 4 1/2 hours??? We meant 7 1/2 hours (AND STILL NOT DONE). Our bad...... the 4 is right below the 7 on the number pad.

"Site will be on maintenance from 1:30 AM CST to 6:00 AM CST on Tuesday, June 24, 2014 due to server upgrade"

Today is Thursday right?
If you have less than 20 feedback you're sending first.

Why does anyone continue to pay for this? Performance sucks, customer service sucks, if it sucks like a duck, it's time to duck out
[Image: NYNMRXJ.png]

(06-26-2014, 10:22 AM)petesahuttt Wrote: Why does anyone continue to pay for this? Performance sucks, customer service sucks, if it sucks like a duck, it's time to duck out
bingo!

My reason for staying is the BOOK. Is easier than trying a place where the Beckett Magazine is offered. These days more and more I use Ebay HI-LO SALES to get actual Street value.
I have been gone a long time, my ideas on collecting have changed as I have aged. Will only be here Off and On because things are different. Not going to do much Trading but will offer some items For Sale. As Always, Have FUN !...Mel

I joined/signed up back in '05 but didn't actually do anything on here until 2009. I loved the place (apparently it had just changed over) and it was hopping pretty good on here with plenty of both card and baseball topics as well as plenty of trading going on. Topics would go back and forth with people giving plenty of good insight into whatever.

Discussions now though don't seem to last and it's usually the same people chiming in. I can't tell you how many times I've seen a thread started, and a good topic at that, with over a hundred views yet not one response. I find that to be kind of disheartening. Typically the threads that get the most responses are threads ranting about the site (justifiably so), call out threads, or threads that have trolls in them. It seems nobody wants to actually discuss things anymore.

In regards to trading, when I came back on in 2009, this site is what got me going again into collecting and I was loving it. Plenty of people who would trade anything for anything and plenty of player and set collectors. It seems now, at least when I've tried again a couple of times in the past year, the population on here seems to be too focused on the "high value" cards, auto/game used cards, and the hot prospect of the day. Not saying that's bad, but at least for me it doesn't work as it appears to be very heavily focused on very small segments of the hobby. I personally could care less about the value of a card (you wouldn't ever see me knocking those that have lots of commons in their ORG), don't see the big deal about an autographed card especially when it's pretty easy nowadays to find an autograph of even the biggest stars in the game (they aren't rare, not a big deal), find game used to be a joke, and typically the hot prospect just turns into a pretty good ball player if they don't flame out within a year or two.

I believe there are a multitude of factors why this place isn't the same as it was 5 years ago. I could probably go on, but what's the point?