`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 11 Vote(s) - 4.27 Average
The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett

RE: The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett
(07-15-2014, 09:14 PM)mbostick Wrote: Every Scoreboard item you showed, except the last, were 1996 Score Board Memorabilia redemptions. They likely made a plaque or two also, which I could help you identify if you have any candidates. (They used the same, 3-4 different, woods and fonts on all the plaques.)

I sent in over 100 of those things.....ended up getting screwed on a dozen or so items.

Interesting or not, they had a $5 redemption fee, which they could not charge in all states, due to local laws. Because of this, I sent all of mine to a friend in Florida to redeem. But part of this was due to the fact you never knew when or if they would cash your check...meaning your item was coming. Hard to manage a checking book number and have 100 $5 checks out that might never be cashed or cashed at any moment.

This is a legitimate card. There are a total of six different rc autos, I can't remember all of the others, but Leeland McElroy (msp?) the Cardinals RC, was also one of the six. I had both the Banks and the McElroy.

I am 99% sure, they were a factory set bonus, one per a set.
Thanks for your comments to my posts I made a while ago. I would like to respond to both.

1. Autographed footballs
This information helps me out a lot because I did not begin to collect football cards until 1999. I always wondered where all these Score Board autographed items originated from, QVC or a redemption program? If what you are stating is correct then it is the latter which makes sense. Also, you are stating these were redemptions from the 1996 Score Board Memorabilia set. That would make sense as well. I do not know offhand of any other Pro Line/Classic/Score Board sets that had pack inserted redemption card memorabilia.

In that case then all the autographed memorabilia which falls in to this category should definitely be OPG listed just like all the 1998 SP Autographed Memorabilia items. This would not be a precedent.

2. Tony Banks auto card
You set me straight on this one. In hindsight I am not sure why I later retracted my original post. After looking closely you can even see where it reads "Collector's Edition" on the lower part of the card. Also, if you type in "1996 Leaf Collector's Edition Autographs" and subsequently click the set listing the description states that only 9 of the 14 autographed cards that Leaf was planning to release are known to exist. The Tony Banks is not one of the 9 listed, hence it is missing from the database.

[Image: aoM1_zps2mg995on.gif]

RE: The official "football cards that are currently missing from the online Beckett
"Also, you are stating these were redemptions from the 1996 Score Board Memorabilia set."

Yes, myself and a friend pulled every item shown (ignoring the last again), except the draft ball, and I pulled a McNair one like that. The mini balls were the most common pulls it seemed, followed by plaques. The mini balls are also bad at bleeding.

There were also redemptions in every one of the 1997 Score Board Memorabilia Strongbox sets, memory tells me 2 redemptions with each set, but maybe they just had 1.

The Strongboxes had complete sets of what Beckett labels as "1997/98 Score Board Autographed Collection", with the cards in the strongbox set being the gold version, labeled strongbox lightly across the side.

It is possible, as the timing looks right, that the later item, came from these redemptions. These sets did not sell well, although the market has been since flooded with cards from the set.

(07-14-2014, 10:28 PM)mbostick Wrote: The card on the plate shown, is part of the plate and I don't think Classic made the card in a different fashion. You can bet they did make a Marino plate though...lol.

Here is another unlisted card, which Marino likely has one of also....

1996 Topps Gilt Edge #55 Steve Young and 1996 Topps Gilt Edge #55 Steve Young Platinum.

If we call the Platinum the parallel, I have the two cards flipped around below, with the Platinum and then the normal (Gold). Beside the normal gold is one with a smaller and not filled in gold Topps Gilt logo. One of the bigger Steve Young collections was sold years ago and I notice it had this variation, so I don't take credit. I found this one on COMC later. (The backs are shown to show neither is the promo card).

I am wondering if the later came in factory sets, as they are not all exactly the same size.

[Image: 1996ToppsGilt55SY01a_zps05fa10df.jpg]

[Image: 1996ToppsGilt55SY01b_zpsd44270e2.jpg]
This I can help you out with... the open logo is the promo card even though it isn't listed as such. If you are lucky enough to find a promo pack you'll see they all carry that logo with no promo markings. As to the size, promo cards are often different and in the case of gilt cards, they're ALL over the map. I've had PSA send a bunch back for being below min size and even one that was "trimmed"... Laughed MAO ... on a gold edged card??? really?

(07-16-2014, 12:52 PM)mbostick Wrote: Thanks for the note Peter, I will note it in my files. I would consider sending in any card signed by McCown as damaged also....lol.
LOL... exact same thing I was thinking. I've told many a seller that they will almost have to give me the card thanks to that McNown auto... same goes for all the Marino / Couch cards. I remember an Ebay listing for an Old School / New School Marino card that read "Card in amazing shape and features HOF'er Dan Marino and Tim Couch (sorry)" Hilarious.

#1 on the PSA Registry Marino Master set
* Always buying ANY reasonably priced Marino card(s) I don't already have *
-- WANT LIST LINK --

(07-17-2014, 03:53 AM)no1dolphan Wrote: ...the open logo is the promo card even though it isn't listed as such....
Thanks for the note, one less Young card I need. I will make a note in my posting to help any future thread readers.

Pretty nice graded Marino collection you have. I have a couple hundred Steve Young PSA 10's, and a few thousand graded cards in general.

1995 Pinnacle NFL Quarterback Club Collector Pin Redemption Cards & Pins

These redemption cards, which look more like normal inserts from the front, were reported to be like 1 in 24 packs, which would make them fairly common, but they are pretty hard to find. They do not appear to show up on the online catalog, but were/or are listed in the printed Beckett annual guide. These cards must have been in special packs, as I never saw any that year, and along with many of my friends, we bought a ton of Pinnacle. They also expired pretty quickly, Feb. the following year, as the eBay borrowed scans of a Dave Brown below shows, which also suggest they may have only been in early packs.

[Image: %24_12.JPG]
[Image: BrownBackRedmption.jpg]

I have never seen the pins listed, and they appear to be extremely hard to find, for example, there are none on eBay, comc or beckett marketplace. I have about 35-40 Steve Young pins, and somewhat collect/search for them, and I have only seen the Steve Young pin once, from a person that collected these pins (which were both in baseball and football). I was able to purchase that pin, but it is still the only one I have seen.

[Image: SteveYoungPins01e_zps89a3e56f.jpg]

Speaking of pins, some of you might remember the Peter David enamel pins. Peter David, no relation to the fantasy book/comic book writer, made the highest quality of pins, and pretty much had every license one would want. They were sold from a ton of different vendors, and you could even order directly.

They produced many different NFL pins, and even did things like Super Bowl pins. They were not cheap, but their quality is better then the average. The company went out of business years ago.

I found a variation on one of the Steve Young pins (PB made more then one). I believe there is also a variation on the Jerry Rice pin of like design.

[Image: SteveYoungPins01and02_zpse5cb1c42.jpg]

I don't imagine Beckett will list these pins any time soon, but I am guessing some of you also have some Peter David pins in your collections.

Beckett does list the "1999 Crown Pro Self Inking Stampers #9 Steve Young."

The way I read that listing, it is referring to the stamper, which is like a figure, shown below. These stampers came in two versions, also shown below, and included a 2" by 3" sticker. I imagine both stampers should be listed, and the sticker should also be listed individually, as we cant really label the sticker a stamper in our collections. (Marino also has a stamper.)

[Image: 1998CrownProStamper.jpg]

The sticker uses the same image of the 1998 Crown Pro Sticker.
[Image: CrownProLot01b_zpsd35ecb5a.jpg]

AND....if the stamper is going to be listed....why not the keychain with dog tag also?
[Image: 1998CrownKeyChain_zpseb9c74e6.jpg]

(I cant find my Crown Pro Dog Tag Pack with Young on the top, otherwise I would bring them up here also, but I will look for it and make a posting sometime.)

The 95-96 Super Bowl parallel I saw was questioned, in this thread, or the sister thread. I have also wondered if this existed, although a major Emmitt collector did note to me he saw the Emmitt version.

Crown Pro did make a Super Bowl set of 49ers, which I bought for the Steve Young. I think this is listed in the Beckett annual or was, but does not come up in the online search. I am referring to the last card shown in this lot.

[Image: CrownProLot01a_zps855312cc.jpg]

(07-16-2014, 11:08 PM)mbostick Wrote: "Also, you are stating these were redemptions from the 1996 Score Board Memorabilia set."

Yes, myself and a friend pulled every item shown (ignoring the last again), except the draft ball, and I pulled a McNair one like that. The mini balls were the most common pulls it seemed, followed by plaques. The mini balls are also bad at bleeding.

There were also redemptions in every one of the 1997 Score Board Memorabilia Strongbox sets, memory tells me 2 redemptions with each set, but maybe they just had 1.

The Strongboxes had complete sets of what Beckett labels as "1997/98 Score Board Autographed Collection", with the cards in the strongbox set being the gold version, labeled strongbox lightly across the side.

It is possible, as the timing looks right, that the later item, came from these redemptions. These sets did not sell well, although the market has been since flooded with cards from the set.
I believe you. I also tend to forget that the Pro Line/ Score Board/Classic company was still in existence after 1996. The last Collins auto football shown at the bottom must have been redeemed from the 1997 Pro Line Memorabilia set as you theorized, which is very logical.
The 1996 Pro Line Memorabilia Redemption cards are actually listed in the OPG (ones obviously that were never redeemed). Ten players are listed: Troy Aikman, Drew Bledsoe, Kerry Collins, Marshall Faulk, Keyshawn Johnson, Steve McNair, Lawrence Phillips, Rashaan Salaam, Emmitt Smith, and Steve Young. Naturally that must mean that autographed footballs and possibly helmets were signed by all the aforementioned players.
Just out of curiosity, do you have any of these unredeemed cards still in your possession? I have never seen one myself. Beckett describes the look of these as: "Randomly inserted in packs at a rate of one in 24, this 10-card set features color player images on a background of Troy Aikman's jersey, an autographed helmet, an autographed football, and an autographed Steve Young plaque. The card could be redeemed for the prize indicated on the card back through a mail-in program which ends 9/15/97. The cards are unnumbered and checklisted below alphabetically."
Thanks for your comments.

Sorry, I do not have any unredeemed redemptions. I mailed in all of mine in when the program was active.

Scoreboard did not issue a complete checklist of these when they were released, so nobody knew what all players where included. I never saw an Aikman redemption, but I imagine they did exist. From the list of players you provided, the only ones I that I can recall now that are missing, are Emmitt Smith, my brother redeemed an Emmitt football redemption, but never got it, and Tony Banks, which we pulled a bunch of. Several other 1996 rookies (like Banks and Phillips) also signed, but I can't recall which ones. They were one in every box (or 1 in 24 packs as noted).

I was also just thinking, there was a 1996/97 Score Board Autographed Collection also. So some of the redemptions I remember, may be from that set, but I know 90% of what I had did come from the Memorabilia boxes, as the redemption card placement in that box was common knowledge (it was in the same place in every box). Score Board had all the top 10 drafted basketball rcs on contract also, and I ended up with mostly signed mini basketballs from the 1996/97 Score Board Autographed Collection packs. (I had at least 5-6 signed Joe Smith mini basketballs, who seemed the most common).

When the company went under the court seized all their assets. One lawyer working for no cost, cant recall his name, led the fight so people like me could get what we promised. I was hoping since I was owed so much, all the items owned to me were the bigger dollar items, I would at least get a percentage, but it didn't happen. We never got anything. The judge even seemed to feel bad handing down the ruling, but noted while many collectors were getting screwed...everyone was getting screwed. I lost 4-5 grand that day, which was a decent hit on me at the time, in my low 20s. That was like half of year of wages for me.

Many collectors see the Score Board items and see red flags, partly due to how easy the coa can be reproduced. This was never a problem, for me at least, as I knew what the items signed looked like, what the players sig looked like, and what era of Score Board coa it should have. As long as you research or know these things, you can be pretty sure the item is real.

Sorry that I can not be of more help, and for straying a little off subject. I guess I am still a little bitter over the loss I took.
Besides QVC, the Memorabilia packs, and the Autographed Collection packs, Score Board also sold some of their autos though the comic book distributors. Sears and Walmart sold autos around 1996 and I think those had Score Board COA's also. It would not surprise me if they had other venues also, but those are the ones I remember. This would be the problem I imagine for Beckett to say, the Collins came from 1996 Memorabilia packs. I am sure they did come from those packs, but they may have been released in other ways also.

I still have a few items from those redeemed items. A Ronnie Lott plaque, a Steve Young plaque, a Jose Canseco plaque, and a Nolan Ryan baseball. My Lott plaque, I am pretty sure is numbered, as many of them were.....which may suggest they should be Becket listed, but how exactly one would list them, is nomenclature I have little answer for.

@mbostick, thanks... I also have the #1 Young set. He's the only non-Dolphin that I collect.
I can't believe the self inking stampers have a card inside... I don't think I have seen one and if I did I would have passed it up, but I definitely need it now.
-- WANT LIST LINK --

-mbostick

Wow, I would be ticked off too so your feelings are understandable.

I guess the online checklist for those 1996 redemption card is incomplete if you were able to pull a Tony Banks (ironically). On a side note I did notice that there is a Troy Aikman auto helmet with a Score Board COA being sold online now.

It would be perhaps very difficult to compile an accurate directory of where all these autographed memorabilia items specifically came from if you are now stating that they also were sold via retail chains as well, not that it is that vital to know for sure I guess.

By the way, I enjoyed looking through all those Steve Young and Tony Gonzales items that you shared with us this week. I could make an argument that most of those items noted should qualify to be listed in the Beckett annual price guide and OPG. For various reasons the only items that I could see the Beckett staff not listing would be the 1997 Leaf Signature ink variations, the 1991 Upper Deck foil variations, the Bodyslide Steve Young tag, and the 2012 Certified comma versions. I am not speaking for the Beckett staff though.

To my knowledge historically those annual price guides always listed collectibles which are not cards. I can imagine that it’s a slippery slope for Beckett when determining what to include and not to include though. I rhetorically ask - where do you draw the line? I guess there are certain parameters that they have. Personally as an example I would think bobble heads should be included, which they are not with the exception to those manufactured by one of the major card companies.

I would like to share my observations about some of the items that you noted beginning on post 318.

-QVC glass encased auto cards
The thought that one card company is taking another company’s cards, getting them autographed, and then reselling them is wild. If one company bought out another company and then proceeded to do that it would make more sense, but this is not the case here. Personally though I would not mind if the QVC auto slabs were categorized, especially the ones that are different from the pack inserted or redeemed cards. An example would be the 1996 Kerry Collins Pro Line Blue Foil auto. The pack inserted ones are not hand numbered but the QVC ones are numbered to 1,996.

-2005 Ultra Cadillac Escalade card
Earlier on this thread I noted that the similar 1999 Fleer Tradition White Rose die cast cards should be added to the OPG since the 2001 Ultra ones are, for example. Beckett has only priced the variant card in the 2001 Ultra die cast car package. Hopefully this example and your shown Escalade card will eventually be logged in to the system. It is even more logical since the cards in both examples are apparently variations.

-Peter David pins
I actually own a couple of Kerry Collins ones myself. One looks very similar to the Steve Young ones as shown while the other shows a profile of the back of his jersey. Both have 1997 copyrights on the back. Prior I never knew the history of these pins. I always assumed they were novelty items given away exclusively at home football games.

-Pro Mag and Tag Super Bowl stamp variations.
In your description of the above listed items you mentioned the sister thread, or more like a “spinoff” of this thread depending how one looks at it, questioning the existence of certain cards. I actually did start that thread and I did mention among other examples that I had my doubts that Super Bowl stamped version existed for the Mags and Tags, however I was only referring to the 1994 sets. I never looked into the subsequent year sets.

(07-17-2014, 05:24 AM)mbostick Wrote:
1995 Pinnacle NFL Quarterback Club Collector Pin Redemption Cards & Pins

These redemption cards, which look more like normal inserts from the front, were reported to be like 1 in 24 packs, which would make them fairly common, but they are pretty hard to find. They do not appear to show up on the online catalog, but were/or are listed in the printed Beckett annual guide. These cards must have been in special packs, as I never saw any that year, and along with many of my friends, we bought a ton of Pinnacle. They also expired pretty quickly, Feb. the following year, as the eBay borrowed scans of a Dave Brown below shows, which also suggest they may have only been in early packs.

[Image: %24_12.JPG]
[Image: BrownBackRedmption.jpg]
The Pinnacle 1995 pin cards are just starting to be recognized, the Steve Young is listed, but not the Marino. I think they have 9 or so listed, but I'm not sure how many there are overall. I'd think only the big names, QB Club, etc. The redemption cards are fairly hard to find and I'm also not clear on where they originated... likely a special type of pack. I haven't seen a pin either, but I generally ignore them so I may have missed some.
-- WANT LIST LINK --