`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A ridiculous Mahomes collection

RE: A ridiculous Mahomes collection
rjcj2017 Wrote:That's my point ... like all things card related these days, it's just more dooshery.

If one of the mega sellers has an "in" with the grading companies, it's over with.

Trimmed cards, forged cards, no problem!

I recall a conversation with the guy who owned an LCS in my area, and he told me that one of the companies told him if he submitted large enough orders, like 100+ cards at a time, he would get better grades.

I don't recall which company and I don't know if he ever submitted the cards, but I do know he had no reason to lie or to exaggerate to me.

I mean, unless I pulled a card myself and got it graded onsite in front of me at like a show or something, I wouldn't trust any of it.

I wouldn't put it past them to switch my card out with a card submitted by a mega seller ... what if we both submitted a Trout Update RC, for example, and mine was a 9.5 and the mega seller's was a 9.0, so they just switched them?

The raw cards are not serial numbered, so how would I know unless I scanned mine in beforehand?

I know that's a conspiracy theory, but when dooshery presents itself in any form, there's no limit to the possibilities.
This is why we have to break up the monopolies. But it has to be us, the consumers, to do it.

savagenate Wrote:This is why we have to break up the monopolies. But it has to be us, the consumers, to do it.
Here here!

(Hear hear?)

savagenate Wrote:This is why we have to break up the monopolies. But it has to be us, the consumers, to do it.
How do we go about doing that?

pootshwan Wrote:How do we go about doing that?
Well first is to stop buying their boxes. Buying singles doesn't directly benefit Panini. Focusing on older products helps, if you have guys or sets you like to collect. Given all the trimming and such issues with PSA and the crazy prices of beckett, looking to alternatives (don't want to get kicked, so being vague here lol) for protecting cards. I'm also sitting on an idea that could be a huge help to the collecting world, but is expensive to try and do. I'm still working on that. We could hit up the NFLPA as well to put pressure on to revoke exclusive licensing. The hard part is getting enough people to do it that they listen. Most collectors are fine with complaining but still buying, so not sure if there'd be enough people to actually put the effort in to create change.

rjcj2017 Wrote:Yes, so essentially worthless ... just as all graded cards are.
Why do you say that?

pootshwan Wrote:Why do you say that?
Because of all the dooshery involved ... trimmed cards, forged cards, higher grades for bulk lots/mega sellers, changing grading standards on cards like the Gretzky RC, etc.

Plus, I have a "9.5 gem mint" graded card of Kevin Durant's first Panini Instant Warriors card, where there is an obvious white chip on a red border on the bottom right corner of the card that I basically won't sell or trade because I don't participate in said hobby dooshery.

rjcj2017 Wrote:Because of all the dooshery involved ... trimmed cards, forged cards, higher grades for bulk lots/mega sellers, changing grading standards on cards like the Gretzky RC, etc.

Plus, I have a "9.5 gem mint" graded card of Kevin Durant's first Panini Instant Warriors card, where there is an obvious white chip on a red border on the bottom right corner of the card that I basically won't sell or trade because I don't participate in said hobby dooshery.
Maybe I'm a bad person, I'd totally sell as long as I pointed out the flaw lol

savagenate Wrote:Maybe I'm a bad person, I'd totally sell as long as I pointed out the flaw lol
That would require the person reading the description (gasp), or at least looking at the picture.

But nah, they see the "gem mint" grade and buy without blinking.

Then, they get the card, see the chip, file a claim with Doosh Bay, and apparently can now keep the card and get a full refund.

Or, I just keep the card and eliminate the previous three sentences.

Though it must be said ... you are one of the good eggs, my friend!

Think this gets a buyer if they win back2back superbowls?

pootshwan Wrote:Think this gets a buyer if they win back2back superbowls?
I don't see anyone paying that much for a collection that doesn't contain the main RCs.