`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A ridiculous Mahomes collection

RE: A ridiculous Mahomes collection
pootshwan Wrote:No and no. Making conversation.
Gotcha, definitely a conversation topic starter!  I asked because I saw the link was shortened with something like Bitly which some folks in the past have used to hide the fact that it was part of an affiliate program.  I know you aren't, the Bitly links expand to the original link to the auction without all that extra affiliate code in the URL.

With this insane Mahomes auction here, then I also saw the 52 Mantle hit the Beckett home page too, there's some high $$$ items out there right now.  It's too bad eBay caps the affiliate program on collectibles at $550.  Cause 3% of that Mahomes auction would have been a cool $225,000 in an enterprising person's pocket without a cap.

Dang, that would've been a crazy haul...I'd be spreading that everywhere lol.

ZSDOne Wrote:Will being proved trimmed increse its value?
Was it a trimmed card?

savagenate Wrote:Dang, that would've been a crazy haul...I'd be spreading that everywhere lol.
Yea, insane collection! Alkthough a lot of it is the lower end stuff

pootshwan Wrote:Was it a trimmed card?
Who knows - but perhaps you have forgotten about the infamous PSA 10 Honus Wagner that was proven trimmed - and after it was admitted as a trimmed card, someone actually claimed it could be worth more due to infamy.

ZSDOne Wrote:Who knows - but perhaps you have forgotten about the infamous PSA 10 Honus Wagner that was proven trimmed - and after it was admitted as a trimmed card, someone actually claimed it could be worth more due to infamy.
Ebay 1/1! lol

pootshwan Wrote:Was it a trimmed card?
Yes, so essentially worthless ... just as all graded cards are.

(01-20-2021, 04:19 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Yes, so essentially worthless ... just as all graded cards are.
I like graded cards but I don't know how you can weed out the conflicts of interest for the big spenders. I've read too many stories and proven, verified facts on cards sent in by big time submitters like Probstein and PWCC that get trimmed, subbed, and magically earn 9.5s and 10s. It's laughable because the cards have serial numbers on them and you can CLEARLY see that where there once was cardboard is now gone.

ZSDOne Wrote:Who knows - but perhaps you have forgotten about the infamous PSA 10 Honus Wagner that was proven trimmed - and after it was admitted as a trimmed card, someone actually claimed it could be worth more due to infamy.
lol that is funny

jplarson Wrote:I like graded cards but I don't know how you can weed out the conflicts of interest for the big spenders.  I've read too many stories and proven, verified facts on cards sent in by big time submitters like Probstein and PWCC that get trimmed, subbed, and magically earn 9.5s and 10s.  It's laughable because the cards have serial numbers on them and you can CLEARLY see that where there once was cardboard is now gone.
That's my point ... like all things card related these days, it's just more dooshery.

If one of the mega sellers has an "in" with the grading companies, it's over with.

Trimmed cards, forged cards, no problem!

I recall a conversation with the guy who owned an LCS in my area, and he told me that one of the companies told him if he submitted large enough orders, like 100+ cards at a time, he would get better grades.

I don't recall which company and I don't know if he ever submitted the cards, but I do know he had no reason to lie or to exaggerate to me.

I mean, unless I pulled a card myself and got it graded onsite in front of me at like a show or something, I wouldn't trust any of it.

I wouldn't put it past them to switch my card out with a card submitted by a mega seller ... what if we both submitted a Trout Update RC, for example, and mine was a 9.5 and the mega seller's was a 9.0, so they just switched them?

The raw cards are not serial numbered, so how would I know unless I scanned mine in beforehand?

I know that's a conspiracy theory, but when dooshery presents itself in any form, there's no limit to the possibilities.