`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Ryan Braun Suspended rest of 2013

RE: Ryan Braun Suspended rest of 2013
(07-23-2013, 08:31 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: The one thing I forgot to add to this rant .....
The rules should start in the minor league system and weed out the PED users before they ever make it to The Show. I also think Colleges & High Schools need to adopt similar rules. Stop'em when they're young! Before drafting talented youngsters into the Bigs, they should have to show certification that they were clean throughout their early careers!
My son plays in Div I NCAA baseball Atlantic 10 and he is tested for several different drugs, including recreational and PEDS..
His school has suspended several players over the past 4 years I know of..mostly for rec drugs..

(07-23-2013, 09:18 AM)bonds20001 Wrote: My son plays in Div I NCAA baseball Atlantic 10 and he is tested for several different drugs, including recreational and PEDS..
His school has suspended several players over the past 4 years I know of..mostly for rec drugs..
Good to hear.
Well, then hopefully the new crop of kids coming up won't have the PED issues that we're dealing with now.
(07-23-2013, 08:38 AM)jacobystealshome Wrote: all the things you describe are already happening. they have been testing for hgh in the minors for years (before they did in the bigs, because they didnt have to fight the union)
but the science is behind the advancements being made by cheaters
the significance of the braun case (and soon to be the arod case, the colon case, etc) is that MLB didnt need testing to get these guys. they didnt fail drug tests, but they got evidence against them anyway
Good point!
The union needs to become more flexible if they want players to keep getting the money they're used to getting! Certain allowances need to be made and maybe the ball needs to swing in the favor of the fans and owners for a while. The players have had way too much power the last few years. Unless they all want to kill their Golden Goose?
But they also need to stay on top of things. As the science of cheating advances, testing has to keep up. The list of substances will surely grow. But all is fair until the substance is banned.
Guys have been using PED's since the beginning of baseball. Chewing tobacco has nicotine ... PED, coffee has caffeine .... PED, early Coca Cola had cocaine .. (Perhaps why Ty Cobb was so competitive Smile ) marijuana, amphetamines ... Etc, etc, until its banned, it's legal and you can't go back 5 years and accuse people for taking something today.
As times change, and PEDs become more and more sophisticated, science will have to keep pace in detection. Test hair follicles, test sweat, test feces, if its necessary. The players collectively are making billions of dollars, if 5 million dollars of testing is needed to insure their continued career, it's a small price to pay.
As a doctor, to continue practice in my career, I have to pay for malpractice, license fees, continuing education classes, etc. .... What are ball players responsible for? They pay their union dues?

(07-23-2013, 08:35 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: +5,714 I like this one too!!
I knew we could find common ground on some topics! Smile
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

The Ryan Braun collectibles market has just crashed. Congrats to those who managed to get out when the first warning shots were fired last year.
Twitter: @Coimbre21 - Collecting Carl Yastrzemski Topps, Jimmie Foxx, 1966 Topps Venezuelan, 2010 Topps Tribute HOF Relics & Autos, L.A. Rams Autos

(07-23-2013, 12:24 PM)coimbre 21 Wrote: The Ryan Braun collectibles market has just crashed. Congrats to those who managed to get out when the first warning shots were fired last year.
Hey, look at it as a buying opportunity.........

*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(07-23-2013, 05:09 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: Hey, look at it as a buying opportunity.........
You know what I've been thinking this whole time, Joe?

"Please, never let this be Mike Trout ... please, never let this be Mike Trout ..."

Man, I don't actually know what I would do ... I've spent a lot of time, effort and money on my PC, and I would hate it if he got busted for something like that.

there are reports breaking right now that say A-Rod is likely looking at a lifetime ban.

(07-23-2013, 05:23 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: there are reports breaking right now that say A-Rod is likely looking at a lifetime ban.
Wow. Maybe they are getting serious.

Although, part of me secretly wanted A-Rod to hang around long enough to break Bonds' HR record ... can you imagine the awkward cluster f--k that would be?

Imagine 30,000 fans basically not doing anything as he crossed home plate ... sort of scratching their heads, getting out of their seats, using the bathroom, visiting the concession stand.

And then a haggled Bud Selig (not that he would be commish by then, this is all just a daydream) comes out looking beyond pi--ed off, grabs the microphone, hands him some cheesy plaque from WalMart, and all he says is, "Here ... whatever" before limping back to the tunnel under the stadium.

A-Rod holds it up high as players from neither team even comes to the dugout steps to watch.

In fact, the other team is having a conference on the mound to figure out how to pitch to the next batter.

And I highly doubt Barry would do a video tribute like Hank Aaron did for him ... although it would be great if he did ...

"Hey Alex," he booms on the Jumbotron, "break THIS!" while he gives him the finger.

Man, a guy can dream, I guess.

(07-23-2013, 05:23 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: there are reports breaking right now that say A-Rod is likely looking at a lifetime ban.
Eventually, they have to make an example of someone.
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

I have no issue with him getting a ban. Even Yankees fans are sick of his act and are just ready to move on and put the worst contract in MLB history behind us.

(07-23-2013, 05:16 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: You know what I've been thinking this whole time, Joe?
"Please, never let this be Mike Trout ... please, never let this be Mike Trout ..."
Man, I don't actually know what I would do ... I've spent a lot of time, effort and money on my PC, and I would hate it if he got busted for something like that.
Ya'know, in the past 10 years, he DID get kinda freakishly big ... 10 years ago he was about half his weight and much shorter ... I'd be concerned. Smile It's all very suspicious. Smile Same with that Bryce Harper dude ... 10 years ago, the guy was pint sized. "roids, I'd suspect. Ban the both of them. Probably huge amounts of natural human growth hormone, too. They should be banned for life. How dare they!!! Smile