Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
2023 Off Season the Draft and More

2023 Off Season the Draft and More
Let's talk about the future!

Starting with the 2023 Draft where the NIL Auto Cards of the Past turn into the Gem Fire Bangers of Today.

Speaking of which, I saw a mock draft today which showed Indianapolis trading up to draft Wil Levis First Overall.  Now that's a take.  

Then free agency - where suddenly that card you traded away years ago ends up being p.c. for your team when they sign the player (why I don't trade cards!)

This will be really the first year when most of the First Rounders already have multiple autograph cards from college - will be fun to look through the boxes after the draft to see what sort of cards I had forgotten about are now GEM FIRE BANGERS BROS

RE: 2023 Off Season the Draft and More
Some mocks have Bryan Bresee (Clemson DT) going to the Lions at 6 - I have an auto of his from one of the NIL blasters.

That would be wild about Levis.

It would be

Same mock draft bas C.J. Stroud to Tampa at 8 and Anthony Richardson to the Panthers (since Richardson at his best does stuff that about the only person I've seen do is Cam Newton that would be wild)

The offseason and draft that brings a Super Bowl to Charlotte.

Yep, the Panthers load up and win Super Bowl LVIII! How's THAT for a take?

It starts with getting a QB. I say sign Derek Carr and draft Richardson. The Panthers trading up to take a QB is not out of the picture. If I had to guess who will actually use the first pick on draft night, right now, I'd predict Carolina going all-in on their guy.

Hopefully Jake Bobo gets some attention. I have some autos of his from his NIL stuff.
Please reach out with any/all inquiries regarding sending me Riley Leonard cards.
WANTS:
RILEY LEONARD/Jake Bobo
Tre Jones
Cam Newton/Christian McCaffrey
2015/2017 Panthers

(02-13-2023, 10:23 PM)CMCFan22 Wrote: The offseason and draft that brings a Super Bowl to Charlotte.

Yep, the Panthers load up and win Super Bowl LVIII! How's THAT for a take?

It starts with getting a QB. I say sign Derek Carr and draft Richardson. The Panthers trading up to take a QB is not out of the picture. If I had to guess who will actually use the first pick on draft night, right now, I'd predict Carolina going all-in on their guy.

Hopefully Jake Bobo gets some attention. I have some autos of his from his NIL stuff.
Derek Carr is very, very good … he played for mostly bad coaches and had a terrible defense pretty much his entire career.

He would be a really solid pickup. I could see him pulling a Stafford if he landed in the right spot.

I am actually amazed at how fast and effectively the NFL and their "gaming" partners have swept under the rug the fact that the NFL rulebook is full of vague uncertain rules that effectively allow the refs to throw a penalty any time they want - which given the proliferation of gambling should be a major consumer protection issue (especially after two straight Super Bowls were decided by the refs extremely suspiciously suddenly starting to call penalties at the end of the game)

If you have to resort to using still photos and slowed down video to defend a penalty call it shouldn't be a penalty.

Another fun topic of discussion - how many 2022 Products will be released after the 2023 NFL draft?

They are just now releasing Donruss which I remember was usually relatively early in the year. Select and Chronicles aren't even listed as "coming soon." Those two are usually last - Contenders isn't listed either. Given last year's class and the projection of four quarterbacks drafted in the Top 10 of the 2023 Draft, it is hard to imagine there is much demand for the remaining 2022 products.

(02-15-2023, 02:55 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: Another fun topic of discussion - how many 2022 Products will be released after the 2023 NFL draft?

They are just now releasing Donruss which I remember was usually relatively early in the year. Select and Chronicles aren't even listed as "coming soon." Those two are usually last - Contenders isn't listed either. Given last year's class and the projection of four quarterbacks drafted in the Top 10 of the 2023 Draft, it is hard to imagine there is much demand for the remaining 2022 products.
It's always irritating to me that they don't have a standard on this. From best to worst, here's my list of when to end a product year:

1. End of Super Bowl
2. End of league year
3. End of calendar year
4. End before the first next year product
5. End before the NFL draft

(02-15-2023, 02:21 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: I am actually amazed at how fast and effectively the NFL and their "gaming" partners have swept under the rug the fact that the NFL rulebook is full of vague uncertain rules that effectively allow the refs to throw a penalty any time they want - which given the proliferation of gambling should be a major consumer protection issue (especially after two straight Super Bowls were decided by the refs extremely suspiciously suddenly starting to call penalties at the end of the game)

If you have to resort to using still photos and slowed down video to defend a penalty call it shouldn't be a penalty.
Agreed 100 percent ... and I have what I feel is the world's easiest/best solution to all rules infractions controversies.

Because it's such a straightforward idea and pretty much foolproof, since this is the NFL we're talking about, it will never happen, but here goes.

1) Full stop and desist with all this nonsense about what kinds of calls are reviewable and when.

2) Each team gets two challenges per game ... not related to timeouts, not per half, anything like that.

3) They can use them on whatever kind of play they want to, at any point in the game. If they don't use them, they lose them.

4) Example - Green Bay's David Bakhtiari holds on almost every play. He does it so often that NFL refs almost never call it on him anymore, because they would absolutely kill the game flow if they called it on him every time he did it.

(Comp in basketball - Draymond Green has the longest leash for barking at officials because he does it all the time ... other players get technical fouls called on them much quicker)

5) Fine. So under my proposal, Detroit coach Dan Campbell notices this throughout the game ... but waits until the final drive when A-A-Ron Rodgers is marching down the field and sees that Bahktiari basically tackles Aidan Hutchinson but no call on the play ... Campbell throws one of his challenge flags and refs are forced to acknowledge the infraction and call the penalty.

I mean, it creates the perfect balance and tension between "let them play" and "you can't call that at that point in the game" because A) coaches will have to be strategic about when to use their challenges and B) players will now know they can get popped for bending/stretching/breaking the rules on any type of play, not just "reviewable" ones, at any point in the game including the last minute of the Super Bowl.

Now, if both coaches were smart they would save their challenges for the end of the game, and although it may bog down the game with four challenges in the last few minutes, at least there will be a much higher likelihood of getting it right.

(02-15-2023, 03:55 PM)Isn\t this what Bill Belichick has tried to get passed for years now?rjcj2017 Wrote: Agreed 100 percent ... and I have what I feel is the world's easiest/best solution to all rules infractions controversies.

Because it's such a straightforward idea and pretty much foolproof, since this is the NFL we're talking about, it will never happen, but here goes.

1) Full stop and desist with all this nonsense about what kinds of calls are reviewable and when.

2) Each team gets two challenges per game ... not related to timeouts, not per half, anything like that.

3) They can use them on whatever kind of play they want to, at any point in the game. If they don't use them, they lose them.

4) Example - Green Bay's David Bakhtiari holds on almost every play. He does it so often that NFL refs almost never call it on him anymore, because they would absolutely kill the game flow if they called it on him every time he did it.

(Comp in basketball - Draymond Green has the longest leash for barking at officials because he does it all the time ... other players get technical fouls called on them much quicker)

5) Fine. So under my proposal, Detroit coach Dan Campbell notices this throughout the game ... but waits until the final drive when A-A-Ron Rodgers is marching down the field and sees that Bahktiari basically tackles Aidan Hutchinson but no call on the play ... Campbell throws one of his challenge flags and refs are forced to acknowledge the infraction and call the penalty.

I mean, it creates the perfect balance and tension between "let them play" and "you can't call that at that point in the game" because A) coaches will have to be strategic about when to use their challenges and B) players will now know they can get popped for bending/stretching/breaking the rules on any type of play, not just "reviewable" ones, at any point in the game including the last minute of the Super Bowl.

Now, if both coaches were smart they would save their challenges for the end of the game, and although it may bog down the game with four challenges in the last few minutes, at least there will be a much higher likelihood of getting it right.