`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Retail Sharks Can Bite Me - 2 Blasters 2020 Bowman

RE: The Retail Sharks Can Bite Me - 2 Blasters 2020 Bowman
(05-22-2020, 02:25 PM)jbissell Wrote: Thats an interesting way to do it! Thanks for the tip.

I think I'll probably go in with the idea of buying 4 or so jumbo packs and take my chances.
SportsBoxBreaks has hobby boxes for $280 with free shipping. I use them all the time.

(05-22-2020, 02:25 PM)jbissell Wrote: Thats an interesting way to do it! Thanks for the tip.

I think I'll probably go in with the idea of buying 4 or so jumbo packs and take my chances.
You could also do that.

Let us know what you get!

I had to go to my office to pick up supplies, so I stopped a couple of places and didn't see a single sign that it had even been there.

I've gotta go get some car repairs done in the morning, maybe I'll give it another shot.
Kepler

(05-22-2020, 04:29 PM)jaredhuizenga Wrote: I had to go to my office to pick up supplies, so I stopped a couple of places and didn't see a single sign that it had even been there.

I've gotta go get some car repairs done in the morning, maybe I'll give it another shot.
Best of luck, sir!

Same here outside Houston. Checked out 2 Walmart's earlier today, neither looked like anything was out of place. Either it wasn't stocked or the product never made it to the shelves. Ebay was interesting last night watching a few hundred listings pop up for Blaster Boxes and packs around and soon after 8pm when most Walmarts are closing.
Pics on Ebay are very fun to look at of boxes on people's passenger seats, car hoods, kitchen tables..I even saw one with 4 boxes in a Walmart and the edges of the pic look like the guy is walking through the parking lot still.

(05-22-2020, 05:34 PM)dimarco73 Wrote: Same here outside Houston. Checked out 2 Walmart's earlier today, neither looked like anything was out of place. Either it wasn't stocked or the product never made it to the shelves. Ebay was interesting last night watching a few hundred listings pop up for Blaster Boxes and packs around and soon after 8pm when most Walmarts are closing.
Pics on Ebay are very fun to look at of boxes on people's passenger seats, car hoods, kitchen tables..I even saw one with 4 boxes in a Walmart and the edges of the pic look like the guy is walking through the parking lot still.
Yeah, I mean, they're not breaking the law obviously, but it just seems so shady.

And then instead of just complaining, I tried thinking of a way that retail stores could prevent this, and I realized A) they can't and B) even if they could, they don't care.

So I guess we just have to deal with it and try to beat them to it.

(And not support their dooshery by buying after-market retail on markup ... that is one big key)

Like I said, there were four blasters and two loose packs left. I could have bought them, I was right there.

But seeing as how I pulled both Dominguez cards (the player I was really going for), it just seemed greedy amidst all of the aforementioned dooshery.

Well the 2nd trip to the LCS was successful. They had normal packs at $12.50 and jumbos at $40.00(!). I ended up getting 6 regular sized packs. I was lucky enough to pull the lone autograph out of the box, which was Jackson Rutledge (3rd rated prospect on the Nationals). Other good pulls included an Orange parallel Kyle Lewis RC #13/25, and a Luis Robert base RC. The autograph is attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I will say that the one good thing is that Bowman day makes people forget about previous years guys. That's when I swoop in.

This afternoon for $40 I bought a 12-card Adley Rutschman lot - Draft base, blue paper, Chrome, refractor, an insert gold refractor, and 7 other inserts.

And then I got a 3 base Kirilloff 2016 Chrome and a refractor for $12 and change.

If I can't go Jasson hunting yet, I might as well take the forgotten flavors of the month.
Kepler

Nice find with the Rutschman lot. I love buying boxes and opening packs cause as a kid that was always the fun part and still is for me today but with the prices of boxes getting out of hand lately I feel like I kinda cheated and went on eBay last night to look for Jasson Dominguez cards. As a huge Yankee fan he's the only guy I would pay big money for so I found a 2 card lot with his chrome and paper base and even though I didn't want to I also splurged for a 1st edition paper base.

What are your guys feelings about buying individual cards on eBay? I'm not talking about relatively cheaper cards for your PC collection, we all do that but I've for the most part stayed away from spending big money on 1 or 2 card lots. But nowadays with hobby and even blasters being so expensive I'm feeling compelled to just spend that money on the 1 or 2 cards I really want from the set instead of hoping I get it in the box and potentially "losing" money on it.

Obviously you have to trust the seller is not messing with you with the card condition but I trust that they are pulling the cards from the pack and immediately putting it in a toploader and listing it for sale. Like I said I feel kinda cheap in a sense getting the big cards this way instead of doing it the old fashioned and fun way by pulling them from a pack but it's just getting too expensive nowadays to buy boxes let alone finding them available to buy.

BigBlueAL Wrote:Nice find with the Rutschman lot.  I love buying boxes and opening packs cause as a kid that was always the fun part and still is for me today but with the prices of boxes getting out of hand lately I feel like I kinda cheated and went on eBay last night to look for Jasson Dominguez cards.  As a huge Yankee fan he's the only guy I would pay big money for so I found a 2 card lot with his chrome and paper base and even though I didn't want to I also splurged for a 1st edition paper base.

What are your guys feelings about buying individual cards on eBay?  I'm not talking about relatively cheaper cards for your PC collection, we all do that but I've for the most part stayed away from spending big money on 1 or 2 card lots.  But nowadays with hobby and even blasters being so expensive I'm feeling compelled to just spend that money on the 1 or 2 cards I really want from the set instead of hoping I get it in the box and potentially "losing" money on it. 

Obviously you have to trust the seller is not messing with you with the card condition but I trust that they are pulling the cards from the pack and immediately putting it in a toploader and listing it for sale.  Like I said I feel kinda cheap in a sense getting the big cards this way instead of doing it the old fashioned and fun way by pulling them from a pack but it's just getting too expensive nowadays to buy boxes let alone finding them available to buy. 
Don't feel bad about buying singles ... that is the only way the retail and hobby box markup dooshery will stop!

If enough people come to the same realization that you do ... that a $50 blaster or $300 hobby box is just not worth it ... more folks will return to buying singles.

Consequently, the unemployed dooshes who have been hoarding all these blasters will eventually realize it was a short term bubble and hopefully crawl back into their mothers' basements!