`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The Retail Sharks Can Bite Me - 2 Blasters 2020 Bowman

RE: The Retail Sharks Can Bite Me - 2 Blasters 2020 Bowman
2020 Bowman prices are crazy enough being sold by the big wholesalers, so I could not believe I saw private sellers asking even more for the hobby boxes! Who do they think is that stupid?!

kerryandbeth Wrote:2020 Bowman prices are crazy enough being sold by the big wholesalers, so I could not believe I saw private sellers asking even more for the hobby boxes!  Who do they think is that stupid?!
That's the problem ... there is always someone that stupid.

I mean, I love cards as much or more than anybody else I know ... I still won't pay more than retail for ... wait for it ... retail.

But someone will.

Example ... my son really wanted a Mandalorian action figure for Christmas. Every WalMart and Target within a 30-mile radius was sold out, and I refused to buy one for $60 online when they retailed for $19.99.

Finally, one night, I was at the local factory outlets looking for shoes and other gifts, and remembered there was this small toy store that sold all kinds of random stuff.

They had a fair amount of Star Wars stuff, and to my delight, I dug through the figures and found one solitary Mando in the very back!

The figure was marked up to $24.99, but I went ahead and paid the extra $5 because the toy store was an independently owned local business that is paying actual rent to stay in business, so I didn't mind the nominal markup.

Point being, I held out long enough to avoid the temptation of supporting greedy doosh bags and was able to find the item at a reasonable price.

Went to Target yesterday ... nothing. Even the Bowman single pack box was cleaned out. The only baseball there was One lone box of Opening Day. So, last box theory applied, had to get it. Boom, Luis Robert SP!
So worked out nicely. But still, would’ve been nice to nab a box O’Bowman.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Wow, I’m able to use apostrophes again! Thanks Beckett!
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

DrMitchJ Wrote:Went to Target yesterday ... nothing. Even the Bowman single pack box was cleaned out. The only baseball there was One lone box of Opening Day. So, last box theory applied, had to get it. Boom, Luis Robert SP!
Now you eat for another week of unemployment.  Congrats.

DrMitchJ Wrote:Went to Target yesterday ... nothing. Even the Bowman single pack box was cleaned out. The only baseball there was One lone box of Opening Day. So, last box theory applied, had to get it. Boom, Luis Robert SP!
So worked out nicely. But still, would’ve been nice to nab a box O’Bowman.
Great hit! I could not pull that Robert in 10 mega boxes nor four blasters!

kerryandbeth Wrote:Now you eat for another week of unemployment.  Congrats.
You know me by now, it’s not being sold because if I do, I know in 6 months I’ll be kicking myself when he wins MVP or something and that card goes crazy

rjcj2017 Wrote:Great hit! I could not pull that Robert in 10 mega boxes nor four blasters!
Thanks! If not for the darned retail sharks buying everything else, I would have never picked up that box. I was going in for one $20 blaster and ended up saving $10 and getting a nice hit.

DrMitchJ Wrote:Thanks! If not for the darned retail sharks buying everything else, I would have never picked up that box. I was going in for one $20 blaster and ended up saving $10 and getting a nice hit.
Is your Robert kind of a different kind of card stock, like shinier/glossier than the base cards? Mine is but I didn't pull it myself so I wanted to make sure the printing process was consistent.

rjcj2017 Wrote:Is your Robert kind of a different kind of card stock, like shinier/glossier than the base cards? Mine is but I didn't pull it myself so I wanted to make sure the printing process was consistent.
I don’t know exactly how to describe the difference, because it’s subtle. I’m using a Moncada #118 card to compare ( Both White Sox & same color theme ) First I’ll describe the difference between them on the reverse side of the cards ... #118 is overall consistently semi-gloss while #201(Roberts card)  is a little more matte finished except where the black ink is printed ... there it’s semi-gloss. 
On the front, #118 looks very smooth, and semi-glossy. #201 looks like it was printed with more ink, the surface you can ‘see’  where the colors border each other with a very subtle slight edge, like it was printed with a heavier force ... like the printing plate almost embossed it slightly. So yes, it looks to me like it was printed separately from the rest of the cards. But as to the card stock, both are thin, opening Day-like stock. IMO. 
Hope this helps ... I was trying to see if I could catch the difference in a photo, but failed to capture the subtlety.