`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Avoid Scams using Due Diligence

Avoid Scams using Due Diligence
Some of you may have been ripped off or scammed by collectors on this site, but a recent post by a new member triggered this thought:

If a member does not have any trades under his belt but puts "Must Send First" on his avatar or title banner, than 99% chance he is a scammer.

Think before you leap. Undecided

RE: Avoid Scams using Due Diligence
I also find that its a good idea to google new members' screen name. When they show up as bad traders on pretty much every card trader board, they just may try to scam people here.

I had a offer yesterday for $250+ worth of cards from a new member with no trades. Normally I would have accepted, but I ended up declining it because they wouldn't ship to me first. You have no clue who the person is if they don't have trades/feedback.
Seattle Mariners super collector
I also collect some Braves players

Top wants
1 Kyle Seager            571 different cards
2 Ken Griffey, Jr.        1,202 different cards
3 Felix Hernandez      772 different cards
4 Hank Aaron            388 different cards
5 Edgar Martinez       540 different cards

It sucks that there is no "safe environment" to do any type of business anymore. Banks, restaurants, brokerages, real estate, even churches...there are jerks and thieves everywhere.

I even see it in my profession, so we all just need to take a deep breath and decide whether we are willing to make a trade or not. I was very grateful to those willing to make trades with me when I first started, but you can guarantee I was the first to ship for the first 2-4 months. (And, I have not been ripped off yet)

(04-11-2019, 01:27 PM)kman9111 Wrote: I had a offer yesterday for $250+ worth of cards from a new member with no trades. Normally I would have accepted, but I ended up declining it because they wouldn't ship to me first. You have no clue who the person is if they don't have trades/feedback.
LOL, definitely a scammer.

You did the right thing.
(04-11-2019, 01:34 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: It sucks that there is no "safe environment" to do any type of business anymore. Banks, restaurants, brokerages, real estate, even churches...there are jerks and thieves everywhere.

I even see it in my profession, so we all just need to take a deep breath and decide whether we are willing to make a trade or not. I was very grateful to those willing to make trades with me when I first started, but you can guarantee I was the first to ship for the first 2-4 months. (And, I have not been ripped off yet)
Exactly.

If I've never traded with someone before, I always look at their feedback, and if it's substantial and from other members I know and trust, I usually go for it.

But a newbie with no feedback?

Please. Pfffffft.

Especially if they're not willing to ship first?

And even if they do "ship first," it doesn't count for s--t to me unless/until I am holding the card in my hands.

I can't tell you how many times I've shipped first, even after establishing myself as a trading legend and future Hall of Famer around here.

(04-11-2019, 03:05 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: establishing myself as a trading legend and future Hall of Famer around here.
Truer words have never been spoken

Desert racing baseball card collector? Yeah, that's not weird...

(04-11-2019, 04:06 PM)flamethrower Wrote: Truer words have never been spoken
LOL, I was all hopped up on iced tea when I wrote that

(04-11-2019, 12:07 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Some of you may have been ripped off or scammed by collectors on this site, but a recent post by a new member triggered this thought:

If a member does not have any trades under his belt but puts "Must Send First" on his avatar or title banner, than 99% chance he is a scammer.

Think before you leap. Undecided
Wonder if it's the same that I have been in contact with. First offer was for about $1k in trade. I said he must send first because he has zero trades. He said he has been burned in the past and would be willing to send as soon as I provide tracking. I declined, so he came up with a smaller $150 trade offer.
Member name starts with an "s" and ends with an "L"

Anyone that has traded on any site knows it's customary for the new member to make an adequate amount of trades before trust is built up. And that means sending first.
(My last burn was by mntwinsfan8791 bak in sept. 2016. He got away with a 89 UD Griffey and then disappeared and he had 181 trades.)

Surpise, surprise I had a new trader give me a similar offer. And responded the same way when I said I need them to send first.
Pretty sure we're all talking about the same person.

(04-11-2019, 08:19 PM)dimarco73 Wrote: Wonder if it's the same that I have been in contact with. First offer was for about $1k in trade. I said he must send first because he has zero trades. He said he has been burned in the past and would be willing to send as soon as I provide tracking. I declined, so he came up with a smaller $150 trade offer.
Member name starts with an "s" and ends with an "L"

Anyone that has traded on any site knows it's customary for the new member to make an adequate amount of trades before trust is built up. And that means sending first.
(My last burn was by mntwinsfan8791 bak in sept. 2016. He got away with a 89 UD Griffey and then disappeared and he had 181 trades.)
Same person who sent offer to me and I got similar response when I wanted them to ship to me first
Seattle Mariners super collector
I also collect some Braves players

Top wants
1 Kyle Seager            571 different cards
2 Ken Griffey, Jr.        1,202 different cards
3 Felix Hernandez      772 different cards
4 Hank Aaron            388 different cards
5 Edgar Martinez       540 different cards