`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Mouschi's Rolling Canseco Pickup Thread

RE: Mouschi's Rolling Canseco Pickup Thread
(06-12-2015, 04:47 PM)mouschi3 Wrote: there are still some big names on eBay left.
I just looked and found the Nolan Ryan one. He did a MUCH better job on the Canseco one. I'm not going to be picking up the Ryan for my PC.
(04-22-2015, 07:43 AM)mouschi3 Wrote: In the early 90's, I believe it was, a new, cutting edge type of comic book came out by the name of the Walking Dead. It was a very limited run. I was not into comics, nor am I now (though I do enjoy the thought of having them, plus, I've sold about 40,000 of them over the past 4 years or so.)

When the tv show hit, the prices sky-rocketed. Whenever I would sell a lot of comics, the first question was "Got any Walking Dead?" The answer would always be no. Why? Because they were very scarce ... EVERYBODY and their brother wants them! Heck, even those who didn't ask, would go straight to the "W's", and thumb through them to see what there was.

Card companies have put out some pretty cool parallels. Topps for instance, came out with the gold parallel. It has taken on a number of forms - from the early 90's that was merely gold foil over the names, to the now-more standardized gold borders.

Did you know that 2001 wasn't the first time the gold border was used by Topps? Sure, mainstream maybe, but did you know that they dabbled in it back in the 80's?

I have heard some stories about such a card before. I have even seen a few, which I absolutely loved the look. I keep thinking ... why on earth didn't they come out with these things before? Apparently, there is one "SHEET" of these that is known in existence (by me anyway). It is sheet "F" which means the Canseco All Star would have been on that sheet. So, either 33 or 66 of these cards (different players) are possible, but in sheet form, many can get damaged over the years with wrinkles, or trying to cut them out of a sheet, etc. So if we aren't looking at a 1/1 card, we are still looking at something incredibly scarce.

The other day, I was shown that the Canseco does truly exist! It was in the hands of another collector whom I suspected had it, but heard it was offered up for a large amount of money. After my first purchase with this seller, I asked again hoping to be offered it. Sure enough ... he offered!

I got it! I also got some other cool items. My first pic of it was in a bgs slabbed holder, but the buyer took it out to put it in his Canseco binder. I don't like that he did that, but honestly ... I'm not a fan of slabs anyway.

So, here it is: the great-great-great grandfather of the topps gold border parallels ....

[Image: 20150421_234825.jpg]

I truly love this card. This is like the Topps version of the Aqueous, but I'd have to say cooler because not only may it be more rare; it is also significantly more different looking on the front instead of just a stamp on the back.

It is like the Walking Dead comics that were not popularized until the tv shows came along. I wonder if Topps threw this concept around and perhaps the higher ups just didn't like the look because it was ahead of its time. Perhaps it was too gaudy for them, I don't know. I think it is cool that this may have been the birth piece of gold borders.

Out of all the amazing pickups I've made over the past few months, this ranks up there as one of my favorites, if not my favorite!
Do you know IF there's a Nolan Ryan version of this?
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

(06-13-2015, 09:51 AM)djohn Wrote: Some big names still left for the cards by Paraskevas, however nothing of Gary Carter or Ivan Rodriguez for me. Thanks for the info on a card I didn't know about either.
I did a little research and at least according to the below auction, the 1988 set had 33 cards with a print run of 250.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modern-Baseball-...4d3264bbc8
I could be wrong, but I *think* the guy who split them up to sell might have gotten them from that buyer.
(06-13-2015, 10:36 AM)nolan5000 Wrote: I just looked and found the Nolan Ryan one. He did a MUCH better job on the Canseco one. I'm not going to be picking up the Ryan for my PC.

Do you know IF there's a Nolan Ryan version of this?
I have never seen one myself, but then again, I think I've only seen 3 of these types of cards.
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile
www.TanManBaseballFan.com
Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know!
Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict

(06-13-2015, 01:28 PM)mouschi3 Wrote: I have never seen one myself, but then again, I think I've only seen 3 of these types of cards.
Ok. Thanks Tanner!
[Image: Nolan_Ryan-Banner_zps9f1a8483.jpg]
Special Props to pyr0punk for this Amazing & Killer Banner!!

Tanner

Do you need any of these?

[Image: Image%2031_zps2vfyozvk.jpg]

[Image: Image%2032_zpstn0owddy.jpg]

(06-13-2015, 09:28 PM)yankees_pride Wrote: Tanner

Do you need any of these?

[Image: Image%2031_zps2vfyozvk.jpg]

[Image: Image%2032_zpstn0owddy.jpg]
It looks like I have all of them but thank you very much for posting!
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile

I'm not sure why so many people have issues with cards not having logos - I think they have done a great job hiding the fact with some cool innovations and designs.

Leaf is my next subject. I fell in love with the "PURE" set. This set features an on card ... errrr ... on glass autograph, and hand serial numbered.

I now have ALL of them, minus the 1/1. LOVE THEM! Regular, #/22, #/10 and #/5.

[Image: 20150618_231543.jpg]

As you can see, they are CLEARLY cool. (bwahahaha)

I was toying with a similar idea last year. You may or may not recall, but here is what I came up with:

[Image: pairing.jpg]

If you wanted to, you can read about how these were created by going here: http://tanmanbaseballfan.blogspot.com/20...stoms.html

I agree that the Leaf Pure cards are nice. I like glass and acetate cards with autographs, but you have to be careful how and where you store them, as they are notorious for having the autographs fade over time.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(06-19-2015, 09:21 AM)djohn Wrote: I agree that the Leaf Pure cards are nice. I like glass and acetate cards with autographs, but you have to be careful how and where you store them, as they are notorious for having the autographs fade over time.
ZOIKS! I better take them out from behind the magnifying glass that is between them and direct sunlight! I rotate cards on the stands that are on my desk, but they are mostly cards i make that I display. The PURE cards are in a box. I need to figure out a better way of displaying my stuff!

(06-19-2015, 09:27 AM)mouschi3 Wrote: I rotate cards on the stands that are on my desk, but they are mostly cards i make that I display. The PURE cards are in a box. I need to figure out a better way of displaying my stuff!
I actually found a shadow box style case that worked well for some of my glass/acetate autographs. Since the cards are recessed in the box, they never see direct light.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

Uninspired. Generic. No Soul.

That is what I thought of the latest Canseco offering from Topps Tier One. A small picture of Canseco on the right, with a BIG open space for an autograph on the left. I picked up one that was cheap, but it had an autograph at the bottom so I picked up a copy that had his autograph smack dab in the middle.

My thoughts of the new Topps Series 2 Canseco cards continued along in the same vein as Teir One.

1) The first one is an SP and a sticker auto (which, by the way, I don't have an issue with sticker autos, if done correctly ... much like I have no problems w/out team logos if done correctly.)

Here is the picture of it. It is not ugly at all, but not eye popping.

[Image: careerhigh.jpg]

Later that day, I saw the other Topps Series 2 Canseco autograph. This is # to 25.

[Image: heart.jpg]

My gut reaction was that I liked the first one better than the 2nd!

They look like the parents of the 1992 Score Impact Players card.

[Image: %24_12.JPG]

After a while though, they grew on me. I don't know why or how. Perhaps because they are genuine Topps cards that I have never seen before. I am not sure. A friend of mine said that these are a "necessary evil" - and for super collectors, I think that is a great way of putting it.

I don't think these are ugly designs at all. Upon initial inspection, I just felt like they were generic looking. Thankfully for me though, I have truly fallen in love with them. As a side note, I now think that a modified 1992 Score Impact Players card with an autograph may be a pretty dang good idea!

Both of the latest Topps Canseco cards are incoming, and I cannot wait to have them in hand. The Heart of the Order card has a base card which I have incoming as well.

As always, if you have any rare Canseco - let me know!