`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Mouschi's Rolling Canseco Pickup Thread

RE: Mouschi's Rolling Canseco Pickup Thread
When I made the decision to be "all in" and collect Canseco, I had my reservations about collecting his 2014 cards. Flooding the market in 2014 with over 200 new cards of Jose just didn't seem right. One way I made it justifiable to make a big purchase of a former collector's collection was that I was planning on selling off all of those "un-authentic, icky" 2014 autographs.

I mean, who do they think they are anyway? They weren't much around from 2005-2013. Do they think they can just walk in again like the past decade never happened? I wasn't having it.

And then they came in the mail.

Turns out I WAS having it, and going back for second and third helpings. The cards are so nice looking. Here is my partial 2014 Tribute auto rainbow. I love them so much. I just checked also, and aside from the 1/1 I am only 2 away from the full rainbow ... cool!

[Image: 20150410_085121.jpg]
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile
www.TanManBaseballFan.com
Do you have rare Jose Canseco cards? Let me know!
Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict

Very cool looking partial rainbow! I wish I could eventually whittle down my PC to only one player. I'm too inpatient to do that nowSmile
[Image: PIpbkRH.png]

Also collecting the top prospects for the Sox.
I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation. — Satchel Paige
Special thanks to jbel for the sweet sig!

Love the '14 Tribute Canseco. I only have the Blue and Pink...FOR NOW.

Here's my partial '14 Supreme rainbow. Still need the Black, Red, and the 1/1. Not chasing the die-cuts though.

[Image: Canseco14Supreme%20001_zpsk4whkoax.jpg]

1998 Leaf 50th Anniversary cards. For those of you who are relatively new to the hobby, you may think that having multiple parallels of the same card is a fairly new concept.

Turn back the clock 17 years, and you would find these beauties. They appear to be a base, chrome, refractor, copper superfractor, copper superfractor die cut and a blue super fractor die cut.

These are the Fractal Matrix cards from 1998 Leaf.

I just got in the blue diamond axis, and absolutely love it! I remember seeing someone stealing it on ebay a year or more ago - I looked at it and thought gahhhh what a nice, nice card. It was just out of my reach though. I couldn't get myself to open up my wallet for a 90's card with no jersey or autograph on it.

Fast forward to this past week....I'm happy I got it!

[Image: 20150412_183636.jpg]
For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23 - Questions about this? PM ME! Smile

Ahh, yeah - the 1986 Topps Traded Canseco. The XRC. The First Topps card ever. Growing up, I only knew of one kind...the base kind. As it turns out, there was also a tiffany version. Then the procelain version someone put out later. Then in 2001, you could find the base, gold, chrome, refractor and superfractor.

Superfractor? They never made a superfractor!

Well, ok ... the superfractor is something I made, but I couldn't resist having it in this photo op! I never intended for it to be in my pc, because I didn't worry much about the cut, etc. but I think it looks pretty good with the others.

[Image: 20150414_134056.jpg]

Awesome job on the 1986 "variations". Shouldn't that Superfractor say "Topps Chrome" instead of just "Topps" on it? That one must be a really rare variation.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(04-15-2015, 08:59 AM)djohn Wrote: Awesome job on the 1986 "variations". Shouldn't that Superfractor say "Topps Chrome" instead of just "Topps" on it? That one must be a really rare variation.
I hear it is a one of one! Smile That wasn't really supposed to see the light of day, but I had it in my closet and figured I'd throw it in. I did a count on my collection also, and missed 2 other '86 variations that I should have thrown in the pic. D'oh!

Love the 86 variations!

I have the original, 50th Anniversary, 50th Anniversary Chrome, and 2003 Shoebox.

Really wanting the tiffany, porcelain, and Gold 50th, and also need the 50th refractor.

I've had a LOT of awesome pickups recently, but here is a more unique one. I was cruising online to see if anyone had a nice lot of Canseco I did not have, and lo & behold, someone had something that I hadn't ever seen before.

Pacific Show/Expo embossed cards. They are cool enough w/out a back story, but the history of them make them definitely worthwhile.

You cannot really tell they are embossed until you tilt them in the light, and then they pop.

Back in the 90's, Pacific setup at card shows with a promotion where you could bring any Pacific unopened pack of cards to them of any sport, and for $3, you could get ONE card per pack embossed.

They had shows in Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, Toronto, Montreal, NY/NJ and perhaps other places as well. Try as hard as I could, and I was simply dumbfounded at the lack of information on these events ... forget about finding any embossed Canseco cards!!! I simply could not find any at all.

I love these types of cards. I love the story of how you had to open the packs in front of Pacific and how their stamps were used to emboss. It is a mystery at how many are out there, but I have a strong feeling that the Canseco supply is very, very limited. Not just because I simply cannot find any, but because of putting two and two together. Here is an example:

Say you are a dealer and you bring a box of Pacific to the table. It is going to cost you $108 to get one card per pack. You were not guaranteed a single Canseco in one box - (500-550 cards per box, but 660 cards per set by using '93 as an example) and even then, his card would have to compete with the rest of the pack. If the pack with Canseco was in the same pack as Sosa, McGwire, Bonds, Ripken, Nolan, Jeter, Griffey, Thomas, etc. the odds are the dealer would pass on Jose and have the other bigger card from the pack embossed.

Something else to keep in mind as well is the limited number of boxes opened in front of Pacific representatives. We aren't talking like a print run of 75 that was scattered throughout an entire product. We are probably talking about a VERY small piece of the production pie that even had a chance to get embossed. Coupled with the fact that if an unknowing collector doesn't tilt the card in the light at the right time to see the difference, you have made a very rare card much, much rarer.

The incognito effect.

I was fortunate to talk at length with a dealer about this who basically stalked Pacific in the 90's to get a bunch of cards done. I was very thankful to have met him and learn the story from him. I was able to pick up something truly unique for my collection!

[Image: 20150419_172221.jpg]

But not only that - he sold me 16 different others. As you can see, there are doubles, but the stamps are different.

[Image: 20150419_172419.jpg]

He was kind enough to throw in several fliers from the card shows as well. They state that you can bring any 1998 product, but in the end, they allowed for a pacific product of any year and any sport as long as it was in fact from Pacific, and was opened in front of them.

Some of the coolest cards I got from him were the ones stamped with the Super Bowl 33 Logo. 33 of course, being Canseco's number makes the player collector in me jump for joy.

So, with all that said, I'm officially hooked on these, and will continue to be looking for more!

I have a bunch of Pacific cards with the Super Bowl XXXV stamp, as I went to the NFL Experience at the Super Bowl that year where they were doing the stamping. However I only got NFL cards stamped, as did the majority of other people there. I would think the Super Bowl stamps on baseball cards would be extremely rare. Nice to see you add some more rare pieces to your collection.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/