Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Mouschi's Rolling Canseco Pickup Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Some of the best collections out there are probably stored in boxes in closets, which is a shame. The only air time they get is when talking to other collectors about what you have. Whenever I say anything about cards to anyone I know, they have a sneaking suspicion that I'm really a 12 year old with a beard.

I thought I'd take this time to post up a thread that will show some recent pickups I have made for my personal collection. Some will be cheap and some will be expensive. I'll try to update it as frequently as possible, and will show the card I have displayed on my desk for that day.

Not only that, but I would like to post a short story along with each card, whenever possible.

Here is the first!

2013 Panini America's Pastime Jose Canseco Eckersley Dual Autograph #/15

There was a long period of silence for Canseco collectors. From 2007 to 2012, Canseco simply didn't have very many cards to speak of that looked all that collectible to many. Sure, there were some down right strange cards of him playing poker, cards of him in a suit, etc. but not many that I feel showed him as the true slugger he was.

For me, Panini broke the silence in 2013. This card was different from the others - plus, it was a booklet - with Dennis Eckersley's autograph on it as well! This is a win-win for me, because I LOVE Eck as well. This is a card that I would have went bananas for when I was a kid ... heck, I still go bananas for it now! This card screams 1989 dominance all over.

Sure, there are no logos, but Panini does a great job hiding them inconspicuously, and they use plenty of GREEN to trick your mind into thinking that it is a legit A's card .

[Image: 1509316_10206325297034141_7797579180439889462_n.jpg]

This came folded up in a case in a collection I purchased a short while ago, and it was only yesterday that I put it in a booklet holder to display next to my monitor. I think it is a great addition to the PC!

Have any Canseco cards I may need? HIT ME UP!
That's definitely a great addition to your collection, only thing better would be if it was a tri-fold with McGwire on the other fold, or maybe a quad with Rickey Henderson.
(04-03-2015, 03:39 PM)djohn Wrote: [ -> ]That's definitely a great addition to your collection, only thing better would be if it was a tri-fold with McGwire on the other fold, or maybe a quad with Rickey Henderson.
You are speaking directly to my heart, man.
(04-03-2015, 05:42 PM)wordsense Wrote: [ -> ]You are speaking directly to my heart, man.
I don't want to let the cat out of the bag too much, but if all goes well, we will be seeing something similar to this in my customs coming later this year Smile
(04-03-2015, 08:03 PM)mouschi3 Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to let the cat out of the bag too much, but if all goes well, we will be seeing something similar to this in my customs coming later this year Smile
Don't be afraid to make that a 2 print run, if ya know what I'm saying. Smile

I also have the Canseco/Eck booklet. Isn't it just beautiful??!!
(04-03-2015, 08:25 PM)wordsense Wrote: [ -> ]Don't be afraid to make that a 2 print run, if ya know what I'm saying. Smile

I also have the Canseco/Eck booklet. Isn't it just beautiful??!!
Oh yes iloooooveit
Love that booklet Mouschi.
Thanks @Hofcollector me too Smile

Today's card is a 1999 Sports Illustrated Fabulous 40's hand numbered to the number of homers Canseco hit. Here is a picture of the regular embossed version and the hand numbered prismatic version.

This card caught my eye the first time I saw it quite a while ago on ebay and thought I would go for it if it was low enough ($10-15 range). It was such a nice/quirky looking card hand numbered card. The finish is beautiful, and the design work is so 90's.

Fleer made these cards with odd coloring on the close up picture, and squeezed/elongated that photo to fit on the right hand side. The design is certainly true to its time period. The fact that it is embossed is cool, too. They have like, a trillion things going on with this card. If anyone is a 90's inserts fan, this is right on the mark.

It ended up going for $60 or $70 which blew me out of the water. The last one went for $27.50 including shipping, which had 2 bids and was listed under the player Mark McGwire.

There are no hand numbered Fabulous 40's of anyone listed on ebay right now out of the 13 card set. I'm glad I was able to get my copy!

[Image: 20150404_074955.jpg]
Look at that! Only a few days in, and I'm already breaking protocol.

Today's feature is not made of cardboard at all. They are Bobble heads! Who doesn't like bobble heads?

I've loved bobble heads for as long as I can remember, and have had several in the past several years, but never really kept any for long because they take up too much space. I always had hoped that Canseco would have some, and as it turns out, he does.

Unbeknownst to me up until a few months ago, he has TWO.

I found out about a year ago, that he had one that featured him on the Tacoma Tigers. Makes it mega awesome that he is in a minor league uni. I knew I had to have it, so I ended up buying a collection of his stuff, primarily just for the bobble.

Then a few months ago, while browsing ebay, I found ANOTHER Canseco, but in a green jersey. Upon closer inspection, it is yet another minor league issue - this one from the Modesto A's.

Both are fairly rare, but the Modesto issue is particularly tough to get in great condition. Both seem to always come up with condition issues.

So, now they are both home in a hutch on my desk - silently bobbing their heads and agreeing with everything I say and do (so long as I give the desk a little jolt!)

[Image: bobble.jpg]
Today's entry features a very rare beauty. I consider this a card from "the lost years". I didn't collect in 2000 - I was too busy with friends and dating my now-wife to be bothered by cards. During my several year hiatus, the hobby that I had loved as a child changed so much.

When I got back into it, game used and autographs took up all the oxygen in the room for me, and these lesser known parallels went unnoticed until recently.

When I picked a collection, not only was there a nice 2000 base skybox Canseco, there was an identical card next to it, but with red foil: The Star Rubies version. COOL! I thought to myself, as I marked it off my checklist. But then, I saw there was another called a "Star Rubies Extreme".

???

This was # to 50. A 15 year old card #'ed to 50 is a tough grab. Not only does it have to be pulled from the bazillions of cards it probably got mixed up in, it also had to survive changing hands while being mixed in with junk era cards that were carelessly tossed about. It also had to be pulled ... AND not from a box that was stacked heavily upon in some humid garage for any amount of time - such is a disaster for having a brick of cards. I mean, who knows how many of these actually are around and available? 25?

The other day, I found it on ebay! I just got it in today, and it is ... no joke ... BEAUTIFUL in hand. The background POPS - this picture does it absolutely no justice. I think I'm in love.

2000 Skybox - 2000 Skybox Star Rubies - 2000 Skybox Star Rubies Extreme /50

[Image: 20150406_232441.jpg]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7