`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Two Simple Trading Rules To Avoid Scammers

Two Simple Trading Rules To Avoid Scammers
Man, seeing a number of threads about trading scams since I have been using this site. There are a couple going right now. There seems to be a lot of decent people who get scammed quite a bit on this forum, even by other members of the Beckett community, and on other sites as well.

Most of my stuff is PC, but when I do make a trade, I always, always, always use the following rules:

(1) They must send there card(s) first. Non-negotiable. I know I'm good on my end, so if they know they're good on theirs, then there shouldn't be a problem with this rule. If they refuse this part, then let them eat cake and just don't trade with them.

(2) Delivery confirmation (where they have to sign for it). For every trade made. Whether they choose to add delivery confirmation on their end is up to them, but it's good to add it on your end so they can't claim they never received anything. The only time this might not work is if shipping internationally, say, from the United States to Canada. If I remember correctly, the guy at the US post office told me they can track a package to Customs, but after that, Canada doesn't use a similar tracking system as the US.

This certainly won't prevent other things such as condition of card(s) not as described, forgeries, etc., but at least you receive your stuff first.

- arena_guy

RE: Two Simple Trading Rules To Avoid Scammers
I agree with the second however the first if everyone goes by that rule who will send first?
Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

(07-05-2012, 10:22 AM)beginesj Wrote: I agree with the second however the first if everyone goes by that rule who will send first?
+1

The only times I don't send the same day as the trade is when I am out of town or if they are brand new to the site and have almost no posts. Then I ask them to send first. However, if the cards have almost no value I go ahead and send them anyway.

I have been burned before and probably will again, but I am still surviving and still love the hobby.
X

This makes no sense. I have over 650 trades dude and I never followed the send first rule. You say "I know I'm good on my end, so if they know they're good on theirs, then there shouldn't be a problem with this rule." The issue is if both ends know they are good for it and both wait for the other then nobody ever gets cards. I agree guys with a certain number or less should always send first but you can't go by your rule. If you asked me to send first you better believe I am gonna say something. You have a big ZERO man and I have 651. I think your gonna have to send first. Everyone has to earn that just the same. There will always be risk that a good guy goes bad but for the most part this is a good community. It's just that a few bad apples screw things for people and everyone keeps posting and bumping about those same bad apples.
[Image: broockerd_zpsd0d55e86.png]
Kila Ka'aihue 133/138 Non 1/1s (96% complete) 13/64 1/1s (19% complete)
Auto Needs: http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1529244.html

(07-05-2012, 10:22 AM)beginesj Wrote: I agree with the second however the first if everyone goes by that rule who will send first?
After the first trade with someone that should build trust. After that, I would still have the rule because it should be a non-issue after that.

(07-05-2012, 10:27 AM)jasonmj Wrote: However, if the cards have almost no value I go ahead and send them anyway.
Right, I can see if the cards are of little value then it's not a big deal. I don't even mind losing money on a trade if it's not a card that's important to my PC.
(07-05-2012, 10:29 AM)dbroockerd Wrote: You have a big ZERO man and I have 651. I think your gonna have to send first. Everyone has to earn that just the same. There will always be risk that a good guy goes bad but for the most part this is a good community. It's just that a few bad apples screw things for people and everyone keeps posting and bumping about those same bad apples.
I haven't traded through Beckett but do on other sites.

Personally i generally send right along with people, unless they are brand new. Even then i send once i get my DC.

In all honesty i worried so much about this cardboard when i first started trading that i kinda missed the whole point of collecting. If someone wants to scam me for 50$ worth of cardboard that sucks, but karma will catch up, and i can make sure it happens to no one else. Luckily i have had a GREAT experience here, even with brand new traders.

Frankly im not going to get myself all paranoid, sending sig requested mail and such, or it just zaps the fun of all of this away.

Gl with your trading here, not going to get any trades asking a established member to send first when you have 0 trades.
[Image: n0Ji6.png]

(07-05-2012, 10:35 AM)arena_guy Wrote: After the first trade with someone that should build trust. After that, I would still have the rule because it should be a non-issue after that.
Yes the second trade there should be trust. My problem is if everyone went by your rule nobody would be sending on the first trade because both parties will want the other person to send first. There is always going to be risk with trading unless the parties can do it face to face.
Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

(07-05-2012, 10:39 AM)Krangry Wrote: Personally i generally send right along with people, unless they are brand new. Even then i send once i get my DC.

In all honesty i worried so much about this cardboard when i first started trading that i kinda missed the whole point of collecting. If someone wants to scam me for 50$ worth of cardboard that sucks, but karma will catch up, and i can make sure it happens to no one else. Luckily i have had a GREAT experience here, even with brand new traders.

Frankly im not going to get myself all paranoid, sending sig requested mail and such, or it just zaps the fun of all of this away.

Gl with your trading here, not going to get any trades asking a established member to send first when you have 0 trades.
I was thinking more about higher-end cards with this. Some other thread said, I believe they were actually quoting the scammer, that the person had lost $1500 worth on the trade/multiple trades or whatever.

EDIT: Also to clarify, it isn't just posts about trades on this community. It is a great community. I am also speaking in general with online trading, such as through eBay, Facebook, or other forums and Web sites. I have been out of the hobby for years and to be honest, with box breaks on YouTube, eBay, the Beckett community and everything else, I have greater access to this stuff than I ever did when I first started collecting. It's still just as fun.

EDIT #2: I should also mention this rule is if they are requesting a card of mine. Surely, if I am requesting a card then it's up to me to take the risk on the trade if it's someone I haven't traded with.

I trade on other sites as well and have done hundreds of deals combined but with only 4 deals here I still send first. you have to earn the respect of the traders but also do a bit of homework to make sure that who your trading with is on the up and up as well. you can't just look at the feedback number you have to read the feedback. I didn't really start trading until I'd been here a bit and had a good feel for who was worth trading with and who to stay away from. No matter how safe you play it the chances of getting burned are still there.

Rule #1 and the only one you need is never trade a card you cannot afford to lose.
My funny athlete names collection: https://www.facebook.com/groups/935847757314558
IG: dicks_n_funny_athlete_names
Whatnot: funnyathletenames

i RARELY agree with dbroockerd but he is TOTALLY right! you are a newbie here. we dont know what sites you come from. you can pick any name you want. im sorry but you sound like a newbie trying to scam some other newbies into getting them to send to you first for a SCAM. Sorry but thats what I think. This being one of your first posts just is so strange. My 2 cents and it might not be worth 2 cents but yea I said it.
ok so what like 4 minutes after my post above i decide to search this new arena guy.... PACK SEARCHER AND PROUD! I am right he is going to be a scammer! Guys go ahead and start blocking him and putting him on no trade lists! geez....

here is the post...
http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-149...age-2.html

[Image: bannernew.jpg]

See my bucket organized by sport and then by player or team: http://s174.photobucket.com/user/thump17er/library/Basketball%20Scans?sort=6&page=1