`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Two Simple Trading Rules To Avoid Scammers

RE: Two Simple Trading Rules To Avoid Scammers
(07-05-2012, 10:17 AM)arena_guy Wrote: Man, seeing a number of threads about trading scams since I have been using this site. There are a couple going right now. There seems to be a lot of decent people who get scammed quite a bit on this forum, even by other members of the Beckett community, and on other sites as well.

Most of my stuff is PC, but when I do make a trade, I always, always, always use the following rules:

(1) They must send there card(s) first. Non-negotiable. I know I'm good on my end, so if they know they're good on theirs, then there shouldn't be a problem with this rule. If they refuse this part, then let them eat cake and just don't trade with them.

(2) Delivery confirmation (where they have to sign for it). For every trade made. Whether they choose to add delivery confirmation on their end is up to them, but it's good to add it on your end so they can't claim they never received anything. The only time this might not work is if shipping internationally, say, from the United States to Canada. If I remember correctly, the guy at the US post office told me they can track a package to Customs, but after that, Canada doesn't use a similar tracking system as the US.

This certainly won't prevent other things such as condition of card(s) not as described, forgeries, etc., but at least you receive your stuff first.

- arena_guy
FYI. Im never trading with you.
I collect current Braves and Braves Prospects Autograph, Memorabilia, First Year and Rookie Cards.

Don't Click Here.

[Image: 5WSGR.png]

(07-05-2012, 01:00 PM)capncush Wrote: FYI. Im never trading with you.

+1

(07-05-2012, 10:22 AM)beginesj Wrote: I agree with the second however the first if everyone goes by that rule who will send first?
I was going to ask the same thing lol
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(07-05-2012, 01:17 PM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: I was going to ask the same thing lol
All in favor of not trading with the OP say I!!! I do agree & always use DC on trades & sales but not the signature confirmation unless it's over a certain amount. I too read many threads about scammers, liars, theives etc. I can tell you this if a person has ZERO feedback then I may ask them to send first just depends on how active they are on the site(s).
PC=Giancarlo Stanton, Kemp, Longoria, Tulowitzki, Griffey Jr, Pujols, Jeter, Randy Johnson, Helton, Biggio, Bagwell, Chipper Jones, Votto..
I trade for similar cards.

There are precautions that you can take.

First take a look at their profile - trade detail. Scammers have been known to buy a Price Guide for one month, list some medium to hi value cards, make five or six fast trades to get great feedback. They will then make several trades and not send their part and disappear.

Second check out the traders who have left them feedback. Sometimes it is the same person using several screen names.

Unfortunately Beckett is little help in protecting traders. They don't tell you where a trader is from until you accept the trade. This is when you must check the list of bad traders and see if they are on it or at least the city they are from (They change screen names frequently). Not like the Bay where they tell you the city and state right up front.

Beckett could purge their database and archive all of the inactive accounts. They also have the ability to cross reference the members personal information. How many scammers have multiple credit cards to use when paying for their price guide. They are probably using the same card and same address for multiple accounts.

Ray

Wow, some interesting reactions. It's hard to get across context in print. It's not really necessary to take the time to defend myself from stuff I have never done, but, of course, I have never scammed anyone. Also, I have ordered things from eBay and had a few sellers use excuses about why they can't send me my card on time, even after paying for the card instantly. With that said, I have had 99 percent positive experiences since being back in the hobby when it comes to trading or buying single cards. Unrelated to trading or eBay, I wanted a guy to do a commission piece of art for me a number of years ago. I sent him $300. After that, I got a lot of excuses and he never sent me the final product.

(07-05-2012, 12:46 PM)mrhurtado17 Wrote: ok so what like 4 minutes after my post above i decide to search this new arena guy.... PACK SEARCHER AND PROUD! I am right he is going to be a scammer! Guys go ahead and start blocking him and putting him on no trade lists! geez....
You're welcome to check all the posts you want, but you're misinterpreting what I said. I'm saying, basically, that I expect retail to be pack searched. I have never pack searched, and don't pack search, but will still buy it on occasion for a low serial-numbered card and an auto or redemption that cannot be found by pack-searching.

-arena_guy

(07-05-2012, 12:46 PM)mrhurtado17 Wrote: i RARELY agree with dbroockerd but he is TOTALLY right! you are a newbie here. we dont know what sites you come from. you can pick any name you want. im sorry but you sound like a newbie trying to scam some other newbies into getting them to send to you first for a SCAM. Sorry but thats what I think. This being one of your first posts just is so strange. My 2 cents and it might not be worth 2 cents but yea I said it.
ok so what like 4 minutes after my post above i decide to search this new arena guy.... PACK SEARCHER AND PROUD! I am right he is going to be a scammer! Guys go ahead and start blocking him and putting him on no trade lists! geez....

here is the post...
http://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-149...age-2.html
Where in that thread/post did he say he was a pack searcher? Wow, talk about putting words in people's mouths to try and smear a person.

Not for nothing, but if you're going to be knocking someone, you should probably make sure all of your ducks are lined up in a row as well.

(02-28-2012, 05:03 PM)john1580 Wrote: Now i have him and mrhurtado17 both on the site all the time and both owe me cards ......wtf ?
(03-02-2012, 11:32 AM)filamuraireborn Wrote: when and how did mrhurtado17 burned you? let me know, thanks. you can send me a pm or post in this thread.
(03-02-2012, 06:15 PM)john1580 Wrote: I sent him money for two cards. I shipped 2 weeks late , all the while telling him why i was shipping late. Then i accidentally sent him the wrong dc number . He pmed me cursing, so i told him he was an ahole and that i made a mistake with the dc. Then i gave him his actual dc number ,he got the money a day later . I told him just to mail my cards and not pm me again cuz hes a dbag. Alot of people on here dnt like him, and i told him now i can see why. That was over a month ago now and he blocked me so i cant pm him . He tried calling me out after i commented on one of his threads recently, but everyone on the thread defended me , so he erased the thread. I have no way of getting in touch with him. I pmed ceo cards but havent heard anything yet
https://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-66...24144.html
This is one of the things that kills me on here. People complain about how traffic/trading is slowing down, yet people want to trash the new guy immediately because they don't agree with him. If THAT bothers you that much about baseball cards, it's probably time for a break. Instead of slamming him, maybe take the time to ask and see his other credentials and discuss what he's saying instead of jumping down his throat right off the bat and running off a potential future trader on the site that just might have something you'd want. Just because you have more trades DOES NOT make you some baseball card trading tough guy that can do whatever he wants. Go check out the bad traders list. There are a few in there that were once "trustworthy" traders as well and I'd wager a pretty large bet that there will be more. I would think the more experienced traders would have a higher standard for themselves but apparently not.

(07-05-2012, 10:17 AM)arena_guy Wrote: Man, seeing a number of threads about trading scams since I have been using this site. There are a couple going right now. There seems to be a lot of decent people who get scammed quite a bit on this forum, even by other members of the Beckett community, and on other sites as well.

Most of my stuff is PC, but when I do make a trade, I always, always, always use the following rules:

(1) They must send there card(s) first. Non-negotiable. I know I'm good on my end, so if they know they're good on theirs, then there shouldn't be a problem with this rule. If they refuse this part, then let them eat cake and just don't trade with them.

(2) Delivery confirmation (where they have to sign for it). For every trade made. Whether they choose to add delivery confirmation on their end is up to them, but it's good to add it on your end so they can't claim they never received anything. The only time this might not work is if shipping internationally, say, from the United States to Canada. If I remember correctly, the guy at the US post office told me they can track a package to Customs, but after that, Canada doesn't use a similar tracking system as the US.

This certainly won't prevent other things such as condition of card(s) not as described, forgeries, etc., but at least you receive your stuff first.

- arena_guy

first off I appreciate your post and your terms on trading. at the end of the day we all own OUR cards so we can do what we want with them. In regards to sending first, that is your choice and if that is the only way that u will feel comfortable and that is your rule so be it. Just remember people here are just as leary of not getting their end of the trade also. thankfully i am a state licensed pi and i got myself covered if someone tries to rip me off. I also am stating this as something I will offer to any member here at no charge. If you get ripped off and need some info give me a shout. Finding scumbags and filing legal charges against them is what i do everyday.
I am the resident super collector of David Wright. I also collect Jose Reyes, Michael Jordan, Brett Favre, Antoine Walker and Rookies.
Set needs- 2007 bowman chrome and draft refractors -69% complete
Over 500 trades on beckett since joining in 1999
[Image: FG4Hq.png]

(07-05-2012, 08:26 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: Where in that thread/post did he say he was a pack searcher? Wow, talk about putting words in people's mouths to try and smear a person.

Not for nothing, but if you're going to be knocking someone, you should probably make sure all of your ducks are lined up in a row as well.

https://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-66...24144.html
This is one of the things that kills me on here. People complain about how traffic/trading is slowing down, yet people want to trash the new guy immediately because they don't agree with him. If THAT bothers you that much about baseball cards, it's probably time for a break. Instead of slamming him, maybe take the time to ask and see his other credentials and discuss what he's saying instead of jumping down his throat right off the bat and running off a potential future trader on the site that just might have something you'd want. Just because you have more trades DOES NOT make you some baseball card trading tough guy that can do whatever he wants. Go check out the bad traders list. There are a few in there that were once "trustworthy" traders as well and I'd wager a pretty large bet that there will be more. I would think the more experienced traders would have a higher standard for themselves but apparently not.
Where did he say that? Hmmm he doesnt mind a little searching- "I don't necessarily see a problem with people feeling a few packs and choosing one that they think may be the hit." his exact quote!

Ricelynn i dont know what your problem with me is but you are free to have one. I guess you are Johns buddy but obviously he is a liar-Floydtown handled it and yea I AM STILL HERE! With like 50 more trades and sales since then with no problems. John is an absolute liar about me. I see he has many great transactions as do I but I proved I did NOTHING wrong.

You have your two cents and I have mine. God bless the USA for it!

[Image: bannernew.jpg]

See my bucket organized by sport and then by player or team: http://s174.photobucket.com/user/thump17er/library/Basketball%20Scans?sort=6&page=1

(07-05-2012, 09:06 PM)mrhurtado17 Wrote: Where did he say that? Hmmm he doesnt mind a little searching- "I don't necessarily see a problem with people feeling a few packs and choosing one that they think may be the hit." his exact quote!

Ricelynn i dont know what your problem with me is but you are free to have one. I guess you are Johns buddy but obviously he is a liar-Floydtown handled it and yea I AM STILL HERE! With like 50 more trades and sales since then with no problems. John is an absolute liar about me. I see he has many great transactions as do I but I proved I did NOTHING wrong.

You have your two cents and I have mine. God bless the USA for it!
His exact quote:
(05-17-2012, 12:15 AM)arena_guy Wrote: In general, I mostly try to stay away from single retail packs. I don't necessarily see a problem with people feeling a few packs and choosing one that they think may be the hit. The card companies have decoys as well and that's why. Sometimes they even have many decoys of different sizes. Do the card companies need an improved decoy system? Now, people opening packs with razors? That is, of course, tampering/theft, i.e., a crime. Also, as much as I can't stand redemptions, a pack-searcher can pack search a retail pack all they want and get the jersey card that books for $5.00 but miss a high-value, paper thin redemption card or the low serial-numbered auto rookie.
Again, where does he say he pack searches? I don't agree with his take on it, but nowhere did he say he did/does it. Just because he doesn't go along with the status quo and want to essentially beat people down for doing it doesn't mean he does it.

I never said I had a problem with you, what is your problem with the OP? He provided his stance on something and you decide to assume something, jump to a conclusion, and then put words in his mouth and potentially smear his name? Yeah, everybody else has the problem.......