`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Why is there a team in Tampa??

RE: Why is there a team in Tampa??
(10-01-2011, 09:20 PM)spazmatastic Wrote: Same reason there's one in NC, GA, FL, AZ. Wink
there isn't one in GA anymore, there isnt going to be one in AS probably after this year. Retirees keep FL going and NC and Nashville actually love their teams.
Is this thing on?

(10-02-2011, 11:34 PM)shivelycore Wrote: there isn't one in GA anymore, there isnt going to be one in AS probably after this year. Retirees keep FL going and NC and Nashville actually love their teams.
ill give lightning fans their due - show up more than rays fans (again, location matters), and are really passionate. my sister from another mister is a season ticket holder

Oklahoma City seems to be a gold mine. Look at the Thunder they have sold out every year since moving from Seattle to OKC.
https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

(10-03-2011, 04:38 AM)rad_1205 Wrote: Oklahoma City seems to be a gold mine. Look at the Thunder they have sold out every year since moving from Seattle to OKC.
then again, what else is there to do in OKC?

I went to school in Tampa and loved going to Rays games, cheap tickets!!!
Saw a few problems with their stadium and fan base (if you can call it that):
1. They have very few die hard fans...well, if any. When I was there @ least 75% at every game were cheering for the other team and wearing paraphernalia of the other team. A lot of younger folks (college age-early 20s) and retired people.
2. The Can is in a horrible location, have to drive across the bay and drive around in shoddy looking neighborhoods to get there. The Yankees Spring Training Complex is much nicer than the Trop and located a couple blocks from Raymond James--much better location!!
3. As stated by other posters, High School and College football is more popular.

I have wondered for a while how long it will take before the owners try to escape. I know they will break the contract, but I can imagine with the right location they could make up the money they might lose bc of breaking the lease.
Collecting: Fred McGriff, Chipper, Griffey, and Todd Helton.
[Image: 0989_001-1.jpg]

(10-03-2011, 10:48 AM)zaccheus85 Wrote: I have wondered for a while how long it will take before the owners try to escape. I know they will break the contract, but I can imagine with the right location they could make up the money they might lose bc of breaking the lease.
Portland OR, Charlotte NC and Indianapolis IN has already all made overtures to the Rays if they wish to relocate.

Is this thing on?

Honestly Vegas does make some sense.

vegas makes little sense. it has very similar problem to tampa: transient population and such.

add to that: one of the worst economies in the US, record foreclosures, the problem that baseball has with gambling....

vegas has no shot at all

I hope the Rays don't move out of the Tampa Bay area. I do wish they were actually in Tampa though instead of St Pete. When I lived in Sarasota the drive to St Pete was faster, but now I live in Ocala and Tampa comes before St Pete.
I do agree with those that pointed out how many people at Rays games where opposing jerseys. However I think the location in St Pete instead of Tampa is the biggest problem, particularly when you consider the amount of day games. For a day game to sell out, it has to be in a location where there are enough people that can easily get to the stadium for a "long lunch break". I just really hope that when they move they keep some kind of roof on the new place, as it is way too hot during the summer to have the games outside in Florida. I am a little pissed too that MLB has the Rays home games for the ALDS so early. I would love to be at or even be able to watch the game today, but alas I have to work.
GO RAYS!
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

(10-03-2011, 04:00 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: vegas makes little sense. it has very similar problem to tampa: transient population and such.

add to that: one of the worst economies in the US, record foreclosures, the problem that baseball has with gambling....

vegas has no shot at all
How about Mexico City, Charlotte, or Portland?