Beckett Message Boards
Why is there a team in Tampa?? - Printable Version

+- Beckett Message Boards (https://www.beckett.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Hobby Talk (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-1.html)
+--- Forum: Baseball (https://www.beckett.com/forums/forum-2.html)
+--- Thread: Why is there a team in Tampa?? (/thread-1459921.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Why is there a team in Tampa?? - phillies816 - 09-29-2011

Can't stand the Red Sox so I am very happy Tampa made it into the playoffs over them but why continue to keep that team in Tampa when the people down there just don't care? The attendance is pathetic and they don't deserve a team IMO

RE: Why is there a team in Tampa?? - elfeo013 - 09-29-2011

what city do you propose the Rays move?

RE: Why is there a team in Tampa?? - dkotart - 09-29-2011

Their attendance is better than the Marlins

RE: Why is there a team in Tampa?? - phillies816 - 09-29-2011

(09-29-2011, 02:36 PM)dkotart Wrote: Their attendance is better than the Marlins

That's like being the thinnest kid at fat camp. Doesn't really say much. There really shouldn't be a team in Florida period.

RE: Why is there a team in Tampa?? - jblaze1718 - 09-29-2011

I was rooting for the Red Sox because I didn't want any chance of facing the Rays again in the WS. The thought that the Phils could win a possible 2 WS and both of them being against the Rays and playing half of the games at that atrocious stadium makes me throw up a little in my mouth.

RE: Why is there a team in Tampa?? - nuccionino - 09-29-2011

There shouldn't be a team, in any sport, in Florida. No disrespect to Floridians, but they just don't care. The Dolphins and Jags rarely sell out. Even when they are decent. Miami and Orlando in basketball does well though. Seems like a basketball state. And college football of course.

RE: Why is there a team in Tampa?? - jacobystealshome - 09-29-2011

if they could move to tampa, have a stadium by the harbor, with a retractable roof, theyd average around 27k a night

problem is, they have a long term lease in st pete, and st pete wont let them out of it. i think it runs for another 15 years (just check - lease runs out in 2027, and there are severe penalties for breaking it)

miami and st pete devil rays have similar problems - their stadiums are in the boonies.

RE: Why is there a team in Tampa?? - phillies816 - 09-29-2011

(09-29-2011, 02:35 PM)elfeo013 Wrote: what city do you propose the Rays move?

Vegas, Portland, Charlotte, Mexico City....
(09-29-2011, 02:43 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: if they could move to tampa, have a stadium by the harbor, with a retractable roof, theyd average around 27k a night

problem is, they have a long term lease in st pete, and st pete wont let them out of it. i think it runs for another 15 years (just check - lease runs out in 2027, and there are severe penalties for breaking it)

miami and st pete devil rays have similar problems - their stadiums are in the boonies.

You may very well be right but I still don't get it. I would watch that team play in a parking lot if I had to. I went to the Vet for years to watch atrocious Phillies teams play. That place was a hellhole that smelled like piss and had rats like dogs but I still went regularly.

RE: Why is there a team in Tampa?? - alfredoleal2001 - 09-29-2011

TB Rays = Las Vegas Coin Machines!!! LOL The mascot could be an oversized slot machine LOL

RE: Why is there a team in Tampa?? - jacobystealshome - 09-29-2011

(09-29-2011, 02:45 PM)phillies816 Wrote: Vegas, Portland, Charlotte, Mexico City....

You may very well be right but I still don't get it. I would watch that team play in a parking lot if I had to. I went to the Vet for years to watch atrocious Phillies teams play. That place was a hellhole that smelled like piss and had rats like dogs but I still went regularly.

i lived in tampa, tallahasse (and shoot, everywhere - 26 moves in my 38 years of living). football is king, college and high school. the magic fill their stadium with a lot of disney folks.

the phins would do a LOT better if the stadium was actually in miami.

as far as the marlins: 1. the stadium is WAY away from the main populations that would go see the team - hispanics. new stadium next year, not sure where the location is. 2. they have screwed their fanbase over repeatedly, stripping world series teams for parts, always trading away their best players, and keeping the malcontent. the ownership is to blame. 3. play in a football stadium

rays: again, location and venue play a huge part

fact is this: baseball is a year round thing in florida, what with spring training. most folks are from somewhere else (same problem the nats have), so there is no loyalty to the teams. whereas philly and boston are absolute sports town - the city revolves around iot as a primary form of entertainment - floridians have other options, and sports arent necessarily the first, second or third option

get good owners, better locations...fans will come