`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
2022 Season - Will it be a Gem Mint Banger?

RE: 2022 Season - Will it be a Gem Mint Banger?
(12-08-2022, 05:42 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: I would think you'd be happier with how Kansas City won a Super Bowl.
Well, sure, but if the choice is Super Bowl or never a Super Bowl, I would take what I could get.

Brocktober has come late this year

but Panini is still looking to exploit people!

They got an autographed version of the Purdy this week - at the low low price of $999.99! LOL!

(12-15-2022, 02:15 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: Brocktober has come late this year

but Panini is still looking to exploit people!

They got an autographed version of the Purdy this week - at the low low price of $999.99!  LOL!
Panini gonna Panini

I have a hard time fathoming how Bowman U, Leaf Draft, Pro Set and Panini (other than a couple of random cards) completely missed the boat with this kid ... very productive 4-year player at a major program.

But noooooooo, instead let's fill our products with a bunch of NIL guys who will be working regular jobs this time next year.

I guess the only other possibility is that Brock chose not to sign with any of the other card companies, but I guess that would mean he doesn't like free money.

(12-15-2022, 04:21 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Panini gonna Panini

I have a hard time fathoming how Bowman U, Leaf Draft, Pro Set and Panini (other than a couple of random cards) completely missed the boat with this kid ... very productive 4-year player at a major program.

But noooooooo, instead let's fill our products with a bunch of NIL guys who will be working regular jobs this time next year.

I guess the only other possibility is that Brock chose not to sign with any of the other card companies, but I guess that would mean he doesn't like free money.
It restores some faith in me to see that the Thousand Dollar Brock Purdy autos are still on the site - apparently that is too much even for the Gem Fire Banger Bros.

It seems odd that he didn't sign with one of the other companies - I get that he wasn't supposed to be drafted (and barely was) but as you said, Iowa State is a fairly popular program in a big conference and he was a four year starter.  But it is possible that he is a player who had little interest in signing cards - apparently even within the Panini products he has very few autographs so it is possible that he didn't want to sign with Leaf and Sage since both Leaf and Sage appear to require players sign autograph deals - he might not have found the $5 per auto or whatever they'd pay worth it.

The legend of Brock Purdy continues to grow - and while I thought the prices were a misprint, someone actually has paid $2500 for the 1/1 and 10 somebodys paid $1000 for the /10 Purdy autos.

And I was expecting to someday pick up a Purdy auto out of the $5 box (actually I'd go $15 - I paid $15 for a Seneca Wallace auto so I'll pay $15 for Purdy)

(12-15-2022, 05:53 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: It restores some faith in me to see that the Thousand Dollar Brock Purdy autos are still on the site - apparently that is too much even for the Gem Fire Banger Bros.

It seems odd that he didn't sign with one of the other companies - I get that he wasn't supposed to be drafted (and barely was) but as you said, Iowa State is a fairly popular program in a big conference and he was a four year starter.  But it is possible that he is a player who had little interest in signing cards - apparently even within the Panini products he has very few autographs so it is possible that he didn't want to sign with Leaf and Sage since both Leaf and Sage appear to require players sign autograph deals - he might not have found the $5 per auto or whatever they'd pay worth it.
That's what I'm thinking as well.

I was scrolling on DBay last night looking at the Purdy stuff, and one guy was selling a DBN Special Lot of "7 Blasters and 8 Hangers of 2022 NFL Prestige - Brock Purdy!"

Normally I'd let the DBN and "These Great New Collectors I Keep Hearing About" sort it out amongst themselves that Brock is, indeed, not in the 2022 NFL Prestige set.

But this time of year I'm always watchful that innocent little grandmas trying to figure out Christmas gifts for the grandkids might be suckered into something like this.

So I message the guy and politely let him know that Purdy is not in that set - though with Panini's terrible collation, it's entirely possible that even if he was in the set, the buyer wouldn't pull him and would instead receive 5 Tyler Linderbaums, as I have, so he wouldn't know the difference.

But not at Christmas time, I'll be dammed if I'm gonna let any innocent little grandma get hoodwinked.

He writes me back this morning with a photo of the Purdy Prestige card from Chronicles Draft and a "nuh uh, this is the card right here" ... so I politely again tell him it's from Chronicles Draft, not NFL Prestige.

I also did this type of thing a couple weeks back with a guy selling an Alex Rodriguez jersey card from Allen & Ginter as a "Julio Rodriguez" jersey card.

Have I mentioned that I love this Great New Era of Collecting we're currently stuck in?

The great new collectors really are something - a combination of ignorance and greed that you can count on.

Sell 2017 Sage High Series blasters as possibly containing Mahomes autos and experienced collectors (or people who bother looking up the checklist) won't be fooled because the Mahomes autos were in 2017 Sage Low Series (technically speaking, Mahomes was in the Premium Portrait set for Sage High, but I have never seen a Premium Portrait auto out of a Sage blaster) - it's always a mistake to buy something like that looking for a specific player (although in late 2019 I did buy a hobby box of 2013 Rookies and Stars saying "hopefully I pull a Zach Ertz auto" - and then I actually pulled a Zach Ertz auto - but that was also a very cheap box and I would have been happy with it even if it didn't actually have an Ertz auto (the other auto was Eric Fisher and the relic was a Matt Forte patch - the best parallel was also Matt Forte /22)

It looks like Purdy (along with Koler and Hall - three Iowa State rookies in the set!) is in Mosaic this year - that will likely mean he is in Prizm as well since Mosaic is just bad Prizm.

(12-16-2022, 01:48 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: It looks like Purdy (along with Koler and Hall - three Iowa State rookies in the set!) is in Mosaic this year - that will likely mean he is in Prizm as well since Mosaic is just bad Prizm.
Good to know, his stuff is insanely hot right now.

The Pro Bowl rosters are out and it is so cool to see that Geno Smith was named as one of the quarterbacks for the NFC - it is so cool to see Smith make it this time and Comeback Player of the Year should be a lock.