`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
BLOWOUT Cards? No longer legit?

RE: BLOWOUT Cards? No longer legit?
I do not believe Blowout (or DAC or Steel City or any of the other BIG guys) is searching boxes or packs, or opening boxes until they get a case hit then selling the rest. They are way too big of a business to risk their reputation doing shady stuff like that. That being said, I am certain that they buy boxes and cases to resell and sometimes the person they buy from may be searching before selling to Blowout. But the same thing could happen at a card shop, if someone were to bring in a bunch of unopened boxes and want to sell them cheap to the shop. I think the worst place that this occurs is on eBay.
That being said if you only after case hits then buy a case and you will get one. The odds are typically not in your favor if you just buy a box or two.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

I've bought boxes and cases from Dave & Adam, Blowout, DACards, SteelCity, and various other sources.
Had some nice hits, some bad hits, and the occasional awesome hit. Pretty much what I've always suspected.
I really don't believe that they're messing with trying to pick out the case hit and sell the rest.
The only way you can guarantee a case hit ... Buy a case!
Now, if someone that works for blowout comes out and does a 'tell all' story about their corruption, then I guess it's a believable enough story.
Honestly, one time I bought a case and thought about opening the boxes until I got my case hit, then sell the rest of the boxes on eBay. But I ended up opening the rest, just because I'm a wax ripping junkie. Smile

Now, if they were opening hobby boxes and resealing them for resale ... That's a whole other story!
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Obviously none of us here thinks the sports card and memorabilia industry is without corruption.

The best advice is to keep vigilant about what you're buying and who you're buying it from because we don't really know what's going on most of the time and what's true today may not be tomorrow.
Bowman: home of the pre-rookie card.

One of my LCS said that blowout would search for case hits but I have bought about 7 boxes from blowout and hit a Nolan Ryan auto to 10, a Dimaggio quad relic to 10, and a Topper Relic numbered to 25 from Ginter of Bumgarner. So I have done better with them than I have at the LCS who I know watches the breaks and buys after they see no one has hit the case it.

(10-17-2016, 07:15 PM)once78 Wrote: One of my LCS said that blowout would search for case hits but I have bought about 7 boxes from blowout and hit a Nolan Ryan auto to 10, a Dimaggio quad relic to 10, and a Topper Relic numbered to 25 from Ginter of Bumgarner. So I have done better with them than I have at the LCS who I know watches the breaks and buys after they see no one has hit the case it.
It's funny how the people that propagate rumors against others are usually the ones that are actually doing the bad stuff.
Collecting John Stockton, Karl Malone, Ivan Rodriguez, Gary Carter & UF player rookie year cards.  Plus Jedd Gyorko rookie and prospect cards.
Jedd Gyorko 2010-2013: Have 329/419 including 1/1s
Wantlist: http://sites.google.com/site/sportscardsite/set-needs/

When I was just starting out as a collector in my early 20's, the LCS owner yelled at me for digging under the top packs of open boxes. It was innocent as I just thought my odds would be better to randomly pick packs rather than the ones on top. Looking back, though, it was peculiar that every open box had at least 1/3 of the packs already gone (perhaps the 'good' ones he wanted to keep)...maybe I should have been yelling at the LCS owner instead.

As is true with any purchase in today's world, let the buyer beware and the seller sleep with one eye open if they are not legit.

I think it just happened to me. Bought CXZ Cryptozoic DC super heroes and super villains case from Blowout. The Case box was not completely taped up and when I opened the boxes, there was no hit autograph from one of the major stars (Superman, Aquaman, Flash etc). I only got the crap autographs in all the boxes, like the good auto box was taken out and the case just packed with garbage. What should I do? I videoed the whole thing.

Tough call. Question: how can they find time to box search if the shipping date is the release date?

(08-10-2015, 07:08 PM)mgruber2 Wrote: It has been mentioned on more than one occasion from other members on this site.
Most likely buy someone who bought 3/4 of a case and got no case hits. I don't believe it personally.

(10-17-2016, 11:15 PM)djohn Wrote: It's funny how the people that propagate rumors against others are usually the ones that are actually doing the bad stuff.
This is a very true statement. Projection 101.

(10-17-2016, 11:41 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: When I was just starting out as a collector in my early 20's, the LCS owner yelled at me for digging under the top packs of open boxes.
Glad that wasn't my card shop! I always went for the packs underneath whatever was currently on top. I think it's just some weird OCD thing I have because I do that with anything I buy, especially at the grocery store. I'll always take the item behind whatever is in front.