`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Thoughts on Book Values?

RE: Thoughts on Book Values?
I like to use the Beckett for trade purpose. That way we can add nice stuff to the collection without spending a fortune. I care less about Sale Value, unless it is hard earned cash coming out. I don't think any of us would turn down a Nice Card if it is at a steal of a price. I got a nice Platinum Die-Cut Rookie of RGIII for less than $3 on Ebay, because the auction ended during the Football Games and I just happen to just get onto Ebay. Plus I just purchased 6 Boxes of Hobby Wax for less than $200. 5 Boxes was 2007 Topps DPP and a Box of 2010 Crown Royale. Can't wait till Christmas to open it up.
Quinton Patton's GU and Autos

The entire "book value" is a joke IMO. They need to have a sale book and take averages or market values for cards then tell me how much to expect to pay. Like baker said, the prices vary so dramatically from the price range. If I see a /10 card sell for $20, I'm not paying over $20! If it sold for $200, still not paying that. I have watched the same player for 5 years and would honestly say I know what 95% of what I'm willing to pay. But it all balances out in the end. You get good deals and reach at the same time.

Biggest thing about BV is when a seller thinks he has a precious metal and everyone wants it, news flash, I know of maybe 10 people who collect my guy, and they don't PC him, they collect his team or college. So I'm not paying outrageous amounts to make someone else feel good.

"They need to have a sale book and take averages or market values for cards then tell me how much to expect to pay."

"If I see a /10 card sell for $20, I'm not paying over $20! If it sold for $200, still not paying that."

and thus, the problem with the collecting world

/OT
Hmm my 2 cents.............. Flippers don't help this issue & i've noticed a lot more of them, ESPECIALLY this year.
I guess not so much the Flippers in general as everyone is trying to make a buck, no harm in that but the straight up crooks are the ones I'm seeing more of.
I have seen one Reggie Bush card sold for $3, and has been listed for $75, then $50 and then finally $40.
I knew the complete history of it and Reggie is the only person I seriously collect, and so I know his market very well! Although I applaud the effort for trying, I don't condone the act of "selling a dream", aka making things seem better than they really are!
Wants:
2006 Bowman Sterling Red Refractors #RB1 JSY Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 SP Authentic Rookie Autographed NFL Logo Patches #252 JSY AU Reggie Bush 1/1
2006 Topps Red Hot Rookies Autographs #RB Reggie Bush/10

(12-19-2013, 01:23 PM)usafshelland Wrote: So, I understand that Beckett is just a price "guide", but sometimes don't you think the "guide" is just a wee bit ... oh, insert your own "crazy" word here. How can an insert from the mid 90s (one of the most overproduced decades) still have values that they do. I don't see how a 90's Marino is supposedly worth $50+ in today's market. I get that low #'d stuff, maybe. But not some non#'d random insert. I wish Beckett would make adjustments for this stuff. Or give me realistic book values (granted, not sure what the ingredients would be to give me a realistic book value). I.e. hot streak, record breaking, etc. etc. etc.

/rant
One of these again !!!!!!!

Ebay is a crap shot. I don't search it much anymore ( my guess you can still call it new. my car takes up much of my funds aside from the usual bills ). Did a search for a PC player ( NOT Rice btw ). And was annoyed I missed out on some nice cards for cheap.

What I mean by crap shot is. Like I just said. You have to have the people looking for that card... At the time you are selling it. Then how MANY people are looking for it at that exact time. So using EBAY as a guideline is like asking your doctor is you are going to die .....

Haven't we had enough of these bv VS sv ala ebay because thats the ONLY excuse people use. To me people looking for SV are prob. going to try and flip it in a trade....... THAT is my thoughts.

My problem with book value is that Topps redemption department thinks the crap is written in stone! I had them send me a replacement for a Gronk/Hernandez dual auto /25 out of supreme and they sent me a frickin weeden rc premier auto. Both book the same but my original card sells for close to half while the weeden they sent sells for under 10. Im so upset with them its ridiculous. All the guy from topps wants to do is argue with me about it. But to make it up to me they sent me 4 packs of regular topps, an aj jenkins triple relic, and a quinton patton platinum auto. Their idea of value is completely wrong and Im going to let them know about it on Monday but all they go by apparently is BV. So why the hell cant beckett stay up to date with these prices? When was the last time a Brandon Weeden auto sold for $100??? Ridiculous
[Image: nthnoak.jpg]

Looking for 49er Autos and Kobe Bryant.

http://s829.photobucket.com/albums/zz216...r%20Trade/
Tongue 
and so the stomach turns ..... lol Wink

I don't know why people complain about BV ? BV is set by more than just one standard ..... ebay is not the only medium in which cards are sold (yes, believe it or not we still have hobby shops and other places in which you can buy cards Wink)

ebay is an "auction" site ..... you list low, take a chance it will sell high and if it doesn't people then determine a cards "value" from there ???

I have seen the same cards sell from $.99 to $30 it all depends on how it's listed, when it's listed and who is the "flavour of the month".

if you are trading use BV (and some common sense)but if you claim SV when you are trying to trade with me, I will definitely stop a trade on principle alone.

Rare cards from the 90's are a prime example of how BV is a great tool to work with ..... cards that are extremely low print runs of prime players should actually go up (vs down) in book value since it's extremely hard to collect and find them. RC's of prime players ..... the same.

Using Beckett grading was unheard of ..... cards were thrown into sock drawers and shoe boxes, to find these inserts in "prime" condition today is near impossible ..... today, people bust with latex gloves, immediately penny sleeve everything, and quickly send it off for grading ..... computerized cutting, higher tolerances in quality control make "rare" and "pristine" cards today the norm, but back in the 90's it was a completely different scenario

Many of you are way too young to know where the hobby has come from (yes, 1995 is NOT vintage) and you don't know how hard it was to pull a 1996 Topps Chrome Brett Favre refractor ..... something many would just throw in a binder nowadays. These cards are what made our hobby great.

Look at RC autographs of players like Peyton Manning, extremely low print runs, and very few made BUT Andrew Luck who has signed 4,798,234 RC autographs demands a "higher" premium and BV in many cases.

Why ??? because it's all about flipping your last break to pay for your next one ..... it's not about collecting anymore ..... it's about "who's hot, who's not" and "how can I make a buck" Sad

this is one of the reasons we stopped trading ..... trading is not "financial" is about two or more persons getting together and sharing their PC's to benefit one another.

If I trade away a mid-range auto for a rare insert from the 90's it's because I know how hard that card was to find ..... does it deserve a high BV ..... yes .....

I remember when a base Peyton RC sold in shops for $50-$100, Barry Sanders $75 ..... #d inserts required Quicken Loans .....

Go back to the roots of the hobby, look at how it was before the social media and internet explosion ..... you then will truly appreciate that Marino insert and how truly scarce they were.

(12-22-2013, 07:06 AM)pbean Wrote: and so the stomach turns ..... lol Wink

I don't know why people complain about BV ? BV is set by more than just one standard ..... ebay is not the only medium in which cards are sold (yes, believe it or not we still have hobby shops and other places in which you can buy cards Wink)

ebay is an "auction" site ..... you list low, take a chance it will sell high and if it doesn't people then determine a cards "value" from there ???

I have seen the same cards sell from $.99 to $30 it all depends on how it's listed, when it's listed and who is the "flavour of the month".

if you are trading use BV (and some common sense)but if you claim SV when you are trying to trade with me, I will definitely stop a trade on principle alone.

Rare cards from the 90's are a prime example of how BV is a great tool to work with ..... cards that are extremely low print runs of prime players should actually go up (vs down) in book value since it's extremely hard to collect and find them. RC's of prime players ..... the same.

Using Beckett grading was unheard of ..... cards were thrown into sock drawers and shoe boxes, to find these inserts in "prime" condition today is near impossible ..... today, people bust with latex gloves, immediately penny sleeve everything, and quickly send it off for grading ..... computerized cutting, higher tolerances in quality control make "rare" and "pristine" cards today the norm, but back in the 90's it was a completely different scenario

Many of you are way too young to know where the hobby has come from (yes, 1995 is NOT vintage) and you don't know how hard it was to pull a 1996 Topps Chrome Brett Favre refractor ..... something many would just throw in a binder nowadays. These cards are what made our hobby great.

Look at RC autographs of players like Peyton Manning, extremely low print runs, and very few made BUT Andrew Luck who has signed 4,798,234 RC autographs demands a "higher" premium and BV in many cases.

Why ??? because it's all about flipping your last break to pay for your next one ..... it's not about collecting anymore ..... it's about "who's hot, who's not" and "how can I make a buck" Sad

this is one of the reasons we stopped trading ..... trading is not "financial" is about two or more persons getting together and sharing their PC's to benefit one another.

If I trade away a mid-range auto for a rare insert from the 90's it's because I know how hard that card was to find ..... does it deserve a high BV ..... yes .....

I remember when a base Peyton RC sold in shops for $50-$100, Barry Sanders $75 ..... #d inserts required Quicken Loans .....

Go back to the roots of the hobby, look at how it was before the social media and internet explosion ..... you then will truly appreciate that Marino insert and how truly scarce they were.
PBean. I totally agree with you. One of my first cards was a 85 topps baseball card I think... OR maybe even later/earlier how ever you want to look at it... Before 85 bsically.. But I have been through a LOT of years of collecting. And these threads annoy the heck out of me.
I've never used SV for a trade and anyone who has come at me that way with a trade gets a auto. cancel.

(12-19-2013, 02:08 PM)cbrigadoi Wrote: Heck, ask Marinocollector how much he would pay for the 1997 UD MVP Gold #MF-9. It books at a high-end of $100 but I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that he would pay more if he found it.
Pffft... Shows what you know... I only paid $60.

MwahHahahahahahshshshshzhzhzsahahahhqhahahahah
Hahaha
Ha
H
Ugh....
MwahahahahhHhshshhHHahqhahahahah!

Oh.... And the most desirable cards are so uncommon that it's impossible for Beckett to accurately track them.... Plus, there's a bajillion fafillion cards out there, so it's hard to price all the new stuff AND keep track of the old stuff listed.
It's not like it's 1990 with 1000 cards with millions of sales to track. Now its millions of cards with hundreds of sales to track
Trying to finish these sets:
1999 Upper Deck Strike Force Quantum /100
2000 Score Complete Players Green/ Blue
2000 Leaf Piece of the Game Preview 4th Down Isaac Bruce
2008 Premier NFL Equipment /25 John Elway

Let me know if you have any available.

(12-22-2013, 09:07 PM)Marinocollector Wrote: Pffft... Shows what you know... I only paid $60.

MwahHahahahahahshshshshzhzhzsahahahhqhahahahah
Hahaha
Ha
H
Ugh....
MwahahahahhHhshshhHHahqhahahahah!

Oh.... And the most desirable cards are so uncommon that it's impossible for Beckett to accurately track them.... Plus, there's a bajillion fafillion cards out there, so it's hard to price all the new stuff AND keep track of the old stuff listed.
It's not like it's 1990 with 1000 cards with millions of sales to track. Now its millions of cards with hundreds of sales to track
Haha! Did you get it?
PhotoBucket Updated from Bears to Dolphins - http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/cbrigadoi/library/

I still have the Eagles through the Vikings to go!!