`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Thoughts on Book Values?

Thoughts on Book Values?
So, I understand that Beckett is just a price "guide", but sometimes don't you think the "guide" is just a wee bit ... oh, insert your own "crazy" word here. How can an insert from the mid 90s (one of the most overproduced decades) still have values that they do. I don't see how a 90's Marino is supposedly worth $50+ in today's market. I get that low #'d stuff, maybe. But not some non#'d random insert. I wish Beckett would make adjustments for this stuff. Or give me realistic book values (granted, not sure what the ingredients would be to give me a realistic book value). I.e. hot streak, record breaking, etc. etc. etc.

/rant

RE: Thoughts on Book Values?
and some non numbered 90's stuff sells for 12x's the value

the "beckett value" is the "high" value. there is a beckett low and a beckett high, something most folks forget. the value is not only a guide, but a range

and ebay values are not market values. my local sales are always higher than ebay, brick and mortar even moreso

(12-19-2013, 01:34 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: and some non numbered 90's stuff sells for 12x's the value

the "beckett value" is the "high" value. there is a beckett low and a beckett high, something most folks forget. the value is not only a guide, but a range

and ebay values are not market values. my local sales are always higher than ebay, brick and mortar even moreso
Hey, don't get me wrong... some of that 90s stuff does sell really well. But if a card consistently sells for $5 but has a BV of $50+, is 50+ really a rationale book value?

Totally hear you about the range thing too. But how many people do you know honestly use the low end? I don't know of a single one.

Yea, can't stand "ebay" values... hate that ***** when people say "well the last XX card sold for XX", but then they get pissed off when you do that to their cards. So stupid ...

The "problem" with our hobby is that the 'value' is almost entirely subjective. What Beckett says is worth $50 high-end may be worth many times more than that to a personal collector. On the other hand, if you cannot stand the particular player or team the value may as well be zero. I read somewhere that Beckett uses a 'formula' to determine its values. I have to assume that the formula compensates for intangibles such as player popularity, HOF and otherwise.

I do have to agree with jacoby when he says that people tend to forget there is a range of value. IMO, if someone is going to force you to put a "value" on any card all they are asking you for is your opinion. You can provide resources to back-up your opinion and that's really all you can do. It will always be a bartering type of business.

Heck, ask Marinocollector how much he would pay for the 1997 UD MVP Gold #MF-9. It books at a high-end of $100 but I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that he would pay more if he found it.
PhotoBucket Updated from Bears to Dolphins - http://s1197.photobucket.com/user/cbrigadoi/library/

I still have the Eagles through the Vikings to go!!

(12-19-2013, 01:23 PM)usafshelland Wrote: So, I understand that Beckett is just a price "guide", but sometimes don't you think the "guide" is just a wee bit ... oh, insert your own "crazy" word here. How can an insert from the mid 90s (one of the most overproduced decades) still have values that they do. I don't see how a 90's Marino is supposedly worth $50+ in today's market. I get that low #'d stuff, maybe. But not some non#'d random insert. I wish Beckett would make adjustments for this stuff. Or give me realistic book values (granted, not sure what the ingredients would be to give me a realistic book value). I.e. hot streak, record breaking, etc. etc. etc.

/rant
I would agree a lot of Marino inserts that book for $50 usually sell for under $10 but sometimes you find some items that exceed expectations like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Pacific-Rev...7675.l2557

It was at about $6.00 with 10 seconds left and then BOOM!!! I was shocked it went for so much. In the end older 90s stuff can vary dramatically. Case in point

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-METAL-UNIVE...7675.l2557

How would a precious metal Marino be worth the same as a 1999 Revolution parallel /68? Answer its not but if you compare the two items one would argue that they are.

Then what happens when this goes on?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-1999-Do...7675.l2557

This Marino books between $60 and $80 and went for a PENNY!!! (I forgot to bid on it twice as it was shilled and then relisted and sold again for about $5.00). Could you imagine the backlash I would get if I offered a PENNY for a $60 Marino here on the boards????

There are too many factors that go into determining "value" that the collectors themselves should use common sense to reach common ground on potential trades/sales.

Do you remember trading me that 1998 Black Diamond triple Marino awhile ago? I gave up some low end Andrew Luck RCs for it. Sell value was in your favor and book value was in my favor but in the end we were both happy with the deal so the "value" didnt matter all that much.
(12-19-2013, 02:08 PM)cbrigadoi Wrote: Heck, ask Marinocollector how much he would pay for the 1997 UD MVP Gold #MF-9. It books at a high-end of $100 but I am willing to bet dollars to donuts that he would pay more if he found it.
Dont jinx him like that lol. Now someone will list one for $300+ on the bay haha.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(12-19-2013, 02:26 PM)bakerman8419 Wrote: This Marino books between $60 and $80 and went for a PENNY!!! (I forgot to bid on it twice as it was shilled and then relisted and sold again for about $5.00). Could you imagine the backlash I would get if I offered a PENNY for a $60 Marino here on the boards????
i just put that seller on my favorites list. my lord, he didnt know how to list things

(12-19-2013, 02:47 PM)jacobystealshome Wrote: i just put that seller on my favorites list. my lord, he didnt know how to list things
Yeah I was pretty upset missing out on that Marino not once but twice. He does use at least two other accounts to shill though.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

(12-19-2013, 02:26 PM)bakerman8419 Wrote: I would agree a lot of Marino inserts that book for $50 usually sell for under $10 but sometimes you find some items that exceed expectations like this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-Pacific-Rev...7675.l2557

It was at about $6.00 with 10 seconds left and then BOOM!!! I was shocked it went for so much. In the end older 90s stuff can vary dramatically. Case in point

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1997-METAL-UNIVE...7675.l2557

How would a precious metal Marino be worth the same as a 1999 Revolution parallel /68? Answer its not but if you compare the two items one would argue that they are.

Then what happens when this goes on?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-1999-Do...7675.l2557

This Marino books between $60 and $80 and went for a PENNY!!! (I forgot to bid on it twice as it was shilled and then relisted and sold again for about $5.00). Could you imagine the backlash I would get if I offered a PENNY for a $60 Marino here on the boards????

There are too many factors that go into determining "value" that the collectors themselves should use common sense to reach common ground on potential trades/sales.

Do you remember trading me that 1998 Black Diamond triple Marino awhile ago? I gave up some low end Andrew Luck RCs for it. Sell value was in your favor and book value was in my favor but in the end we were both happy with the deal so the "value" didnt matter all that much.

Dont jinx him like that lol. Now someone will list one for $300+ on the bay haha.
Honestly, If I have a card that I don't want and can get cards that I do want, I could care less what the difference is. Hence why we were able to work that trade out. Granted you also quoted me the ebay crap though... LOL Big Grin

(12-19-2013, 04:09 PM)usafshelland Wrote: Honestly, If I have a card that I don't want and can get cards that I do want, I could care less what the difference is. Hence why we were able to work that trade out. Granted you also quoted me the ebay crap though... LOL Big Grin
Hey I only do that when it works in my favor haha.
Unique Cards:
Dolphins - 6000+
Marino - 2140
Zach Thomas - 869
Jason Taylor - 749
Lamar Miller - 341

Book value is just that a book says it. I hear about other things too all the time someone told me the house they have listed is worth x amount and someone offered about 3/4 that they thought they were insulted but the house has been listed for 2 years and has not sold so exactly what is it worth? Same thing goes for cards, it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
[Image: TotallySports.png]
Collecting Steven Jackson, Sam Bradford, Peyton Manning, Derek Jeter,Andre Ethier, Clayton Kershaw, Rickey Henderson, Kobe Bryant
http://s992.photobucket.com/user/datsyukguy/library/