`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
My Dilema with my daughter not liking my team

RE: My Dilema with my daughter not liking my team
(08-12-2011, 12:39 PM)motu79 Wrote: You do realize that the only level of baseball that doesn't have a DH is National League baseball. Little League, High School, College, all can use DH's. Never understood why you would have your pitcher hit at the highest level of their sport.

Making the pitcher hit is a lot more preferable than letting a guy hit only. DH's don't play the field. Baseball players playing offense/defense is great. One player only pitching and one player only hitting is no fun. It also creates more strategy as to when you need to take your pitcher out and teaches them how to get by, laying down bunts and such.

It's the same reason if you have the best defensive short stop in the league and he's hitting .230 it's not such a big deal. The pitching you receive from the pitcher is worth him hitting .150-.200 in the same way a short stop saving your team everyday is totally alright hitting .230

I really don't like seeing David Ortiz stand up and swing a bat 3-4 times a game without ever fielding a ball.

(08-12-2011, 01:44 PM)Reductio_Ad_Absurdum Wrote: Making the pitcher hit is a lot more preferable than letting a guy hit only. DH's don't play the field. Baseball players playing offense/defense is great. One player only pitching and one player only hitting is no fun. It also creates more strategy as to when you need to take your pitcher out and teaches them how to get by, laying down bunts and such.

It's the same reason if you have the best defensive short stop in the league and he's hitting .230 it's not such a big deal. The pitching you receive from the pitcher is worth him hitting .150-.200 in the same way a short stop saving your team everyday is totally alright hitting .230

I really don't like seeing David Ortiz stand up and swing a bat 3-4 times a game without ever fielding a ball.
All valid points. I guess I just prefer not to see a pitcher hit. Its like watching a newborn deer try to walk. They're doing it, but it's not pretty.

Red Sox??? Ground her!
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

(08-12-2011, 08:59 AM)shivelycore Wrote: Yeah the more you fight her on this the more she's going to pull for them. Save fighting with her on some decision she makes for a more serious possibly life altering one down the line.
This is the PERFECT answer. My father always told me that you have to pick your battles. Trying to sway her away towards the Stros will only drive her towards the Red Sox more.

My son will always pick the team opposite of whatever team I am rooting for just to get under my skin. I live in St. Louis and root for the Blues Hockey team. He roots for the Chicago Blackhawks. That makes me sick but it is fun when they play.

Have Fun with it and let her enjoy the hobby with you the way she wants.

P.S. I despise the Red Sox. LOL
[Image: stl.jpg]
I build sets, collect Lou Brock & Jeremy Maclin. Both of my sons went to Kirkwood HS with Jeremy. I will also look at Kurt Warner, Big Ben and Old Big Red Auto's.

Haha, wait a few years and she will say the sky is red just because you say it's blue.

My Dad was a die hard Cubs fan. Yep, you guessed it- I like the White Sox.

As long as she collects, I'd be fine with it! I hope my kid will collect!
Collecting: Crede, Luck, Tannehill, Osweiler, Cobb

Revolving signature

(08-12-2011, 08:51 AM)benner73 Wrote: So I take my 7 year old daughter to a lot of Astros games and since we always lose she has decided she want to collect and always wants to root for the Red Sox. Do I let her or should I really try to sway her more to my team? She see's me on ebay buying a few cards and she asks me to buy her a nice Red Sox card. I'm excited that she's kinda into it but disturbed that she doesn't want to collect Astros cards. I'm sure there are others with my same situation. Are you ok with it?
I'd say your daughter has excellent taste! Really, it's great to see a young person showing interest in collecting cards, no matter which team she chooses to follow
[Image: Boston.jpg]

Just let her collect them. Then you won't be finding your cards disappear as her collection mysteriously grows. Big Grin
At least she's not rooting for the Cards, Cubs, etc. or the Rangers.

(08-12-2011, 08:57 AM)dbroockerd Wrote: I grew up in a family where my step-father loved KU, his father K-State, my mother MU, his step-mother Nebraska. Can you imagine the fun in our home.
that is bleepin' unholy

/rock chalk jayhawk

Could be worse, she could root for the Yankees Wink
[Image: BeckettSig.jpg]
I collect: Jeff Bagwell, and have Biggio, Berkman, Oswalt, Billy Wagner, some Pence and Clemens to trade for his cards