`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I'm Calling it Now, Fanatics Will Make Us Miss Panini

I'm Calling it Now, Fanatics Will Make Us Miss Panini
Now that Fanatics is producing more football cards and doing more bad stuff they deserve their own thread - after all, it's not Panini I have two pending redemptions I've basically given up on ever seeing anything for, it's Topps (at least Panini sent out those sparkle packs lame as they are)

And let's start with the upcoming BowmanU Alabama release - it's all NIL, no former players (remember that allegedly Fanatics signed Bryce Young to a lucrative exclusive autograph contract that covers cards - who knows if true, but the point is they can get Bryce Young autos in this) - the best part is that their teaser cards show a Jace McClellan autograph - I've already got two of those from Leaf blasters - but I guess these do got college logos

Also Fanatics took over the printing company - yet BowmanU Chrome was full of nasty printing errors and both Bowman U Chrome and Bowman Best had collation issues as bad as anything Panini did

The fact is that Fanatics bought into sports cards at the peak and is going to try to salvage a bad investment - that's bad news for collectors 

And even if they bring back Topps Magic Football (their best set) it won't have plentiful autos with even the best autos available in blasters again and it won't be $20

Also note that has been confirmed by litigation Fanatics hired away a bunch of Panini employees and uses the exact same printing press.  They're going to be every bit as bad and likely worse

RE: I'm Calling it Now, Fanatics Will Make Us Miss Panini
I agree with you, and will likely be reducing my spending on cards when this goes into effect. I will be shopping the clearance section and picking up only singles......which is what I have been doing the past few months.
Collecting: Ohio State Buckeyes, Cincinnati Bengals, Chicago Bears

Recent events (past 3 years) have definitely soured my view of the hobby. It feels like the average collector will disappear.

(08-21-2023, 10:50 AM)Speak917 Wrote: I agree with you, and will likely be reducing my spending on cards when this goes into effect.  I will be shopping the clearance section and picking up only singles......which is what I have been doing the past few months.
Singles have always been the best value - but if people stop buying boxes you won't be able to get singles anymore - and Fanatics has long been in that market and is running auctions themselves so I'm afraid that even singles won't bring hobby fun

What I've found has brought hobby fun is basically getting silly - like buying 1970s punter and kicker cards because they're cheap and fun

(08-21-2023, 10:50 AM)Speak917 Wrote: I agree with you, and will likely be reducing my spending on cards when this goes into effect.  I will be shopping the clearance section and picking up only singles......which is what I have been doing the past few months.
At least you can still find cheap fun - I got a great example of "last discounted blaster rule" - a 2022 Leaf Pro Set Green at $15 that I was so excited by the Eagles Gem Fire Banger Jordan Davis auto to really notice and register who the other auto was - it was Ahmad Gardner better known as Sauce (my guess is that's one of the few cards that lists his actual name, every other one I've seen has said Sauce)

Fanatics isn't going to get a cent from me - I'm not buying a single thing they made

I hope Panini takes them and the NFLPA for a billion dollars after this stunt

And I hope DOJ gets involved and gives them the full Standard Oil treatment

I can't fathom a worse company than Panini.

But card companies gonna card company

(08-22-2023, 11:32 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I can't fathom a worse company than Panini.

But card companies gonna card company
I stopped by the LCS and talked to the owner - he said that he's not even going to be able to get hobby boxes anymore when Fanatics takes over - essentially they're making it impossible for anyone who doesn't have a Topps Direct account to get hobby boxes 

He said he might well be completely out of the sports card business then and he predicted not local shops will suffer the same fate

At least Panini kept the grassroots stores that kept sports cards alive in the 2000s open

I'm a little hazy on the NFL deal as well.

If I'm reading this correctly, it's sort of like Panini with baseball ... Fanatics won't be able to use NFL logos?

Crazy.

I wish they'd just start over with Fleer, Topps, Donruss and Upper Deck.

Tell each of them they can have a high end set, a flagship set and an introductory level set.

No more auto exclusives.

Stop dooshinary pricing and offer content commensurate with price.

This is the way.

(08-21-2023, 09:39 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: And even if they bring back Topps Magic Football (their best set) it won't have plentiful autos with even the best autos available in blasters again and it won't be $20
Whoa, hey now!  Let's go with "their best throwback/nostalgia set" cause we all know which Topps set REALLY rules the roost Wink