`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody else getting bored?

RE: Anybody else getting bored?
(08-16-2022, 06:27 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: Would love a zoom with members here..could be a lot of fun!!!!
Does anyone know how to set a zoom up and maybe set a preliminary one up?  If yes, let us know.  Please remember that folks are from all over the country and therefore time will be different for people.

Floydtown - any TOS issues?  just checking......
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(08-16-2022, 05:07 PM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: I think one thing that would make the hobby more enjoyable is to join a group that has "live" discussions via Zoon, Skype or Teams.  I am on a site (members only) that has a weekly "Power Hour" Zoom related to Cards and Card Life.....I'm not very tech savey but something to think about.  Maybe a Beckett group?????
There are also lots of good card related youtube channels (I don't mean breakers and the like) that can also add to enjoyment of the hobby if you find some people you like.

(08-17-2022, 07:29 AM)PhoenixRisen Wrote: There are also lots of good card related youtube channels (I don't mean breakers and the like) that can also add to enjoyment of the hobby if you find some people you like.
Agree 100%.  LOL - a real rabbit hole! I have 30+ UT subscriptions - mostly baseball.  don't watch them all and have a hard stop on the amount that I will / can watch each day.
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

THinking about another possible reason why there's less activity on boards like this one...

Earlier I mentioned the transition to Facebook groups instead of canned forums like this.

My teenagers are actively involved in a chat platform called Discord.

Additionally, with the rise of Reddit, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a reddit category for card collection.

(08-16-2022, 07:32 AM)PhoenixRisen Wrote: But for me, what keeps me from being bored is that my collecting is just an extension of my love for baseball. So I don't see ever getting bored. 
I 100% relate to this.  Baseball is my favorite sport to watch.  I changed TV streaming services so I can get Cardinals games.

I am ashamed of myself, though, that I still haven't made any Class A Peoria Chiefs games this summer and there are only a few home games left.  I'll be kicking myself in September.

(08-17-2022, 08:32 PM)mizzouman_2000@hotmai Wrote: THinking about another possible reason why there's less activity on boards like this one...

Earlier I mentioned the transition to Facebook groups instead of canned forums like this.

My teenagers are actively involved in a chat platform called Discord.

Additionally, with the rise of Reddit, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a reddit category for card collection.
This comment hits the nail on the head in my opinion.  At least in regards to this forum.  It's an antique and slow moving.  You're lucky if you see between 5-10 new threads in a week on here and even then, half of it is just people complaining about the same thing over and over.  Why would anybody new come around here and decide to stick around?

FB groups are interesting.  I've bought a couple of lots off of there from solid people and it went well but for the most part, the groups are filled with the typical clowns complaining/belittling/etc of others as they think they are superior for some reason.  Likely low self esteem and trying to project that onto others.

I did do a sale and a couple of purchases on a Reddit group and all went well.  Just need to do your due diligence on there as well.  Reddit has a few groups but only one really sticks out.

(08-17-2022, 08:57 PM)ricelynnevans75 Wrote: This comment hits the nail on the head in my opinion.  At least in regards to this forum.  It's an antique and slow moving.  You're lucky if you see between 5-10 new threads in a week on here and even then, half of it is just people complaining about the same thing over and over.  Why would anybody new come around here and decide to stick around?

FB groups are interesting.  I've bought a couple of lots off of there from solid people and it went well but for the most part, the groups are filled with the typical clowns complaining/belittling/etc of others as they think they are superior for some reason.  Likely low self esteem and trying to project that onto others.

I did do a sale and a couple of purchases on a Reddit group and all went well.  Just need to do your due diligence on there as well.  Reddit has a few groups but only one really sticks out.
yep, plenty of options out there for people to connect on a variety of topics.  

To keep up, "Old" platforms like this forum (which is typically based on the same back-end platform used by many different websites) must evolve to remain relevant.   It's not enough to simply work correctly (which this forum does not.  I never get e-mail notifications about new comments when I 'subscribe' to a thread).

I still love the hobby, haven't gotten bored with it as of yet. I know people's interests change in how they collect, and I'm no different.

I used to be a hard core SF Giants and Bonds collector. Then I got caught up in the whole "chase the hot player" game for quite awhile. Got bored with that, so shifting to trying prospecting. That bored me because it was such a sit and wait game.

Now I've just moved on to whatever interests me. It seems that refractors have really kept my attention for whatever reason. So I'm just sort of trolling around adding refractors of players I grew up watching and liking to the PC and seeing how big that collection can get.

I've noticed that trades can definitely be a bit slow, but if you look enough, there's a lot of members that aren't really overly active on the site that will trade. I've made deals with people over the last year or so that I didn't even know existed. Just gotta use the tools the site provides us all.

My youngest son has gotten into cards as well, so I'm helping teach him the ropes and help him land some Padres cards since that's his team. I enjoy that the most out of everything.
Courtney Hawkins Supercollector
Always looking for ones we need!
58 cards needed for 1 of each unique card made! (Non 1/1's)

(08-11-2022, 10:06 PM)mizzouman_2000@hotmai Wrote: I think it's just phases people go through.  I used to be a huge photography buff, now I hardly ever get my camera out & I've got a lot of $$ invested in my gear.  Nearly just said screw it & sold it all here recently.  I've got photos from our vacation to NYC in June still sitting on my HDD not shared w/ family.  Photos from last Christmas, too.

I have to say, just stumbled upon this response to the thread and oddly, I am in same boat on photography. Used to love it, but somehow the magic is gone. I have like 10k in gear...no joke, lenses, bodies. I took classes and never left my camera at home when traveling etc.....would go out to interesting places and shoot. Now, in the last 2 years or so,  I dont even touch it.
www.cardboardglory.com - Sortable checklists and other interesting hobby info

(08-12-2022, 10:14 AM)mmahoney Wrote: Yes, i agree, a little bored.  Id say most of the same reasons. I i am in the process of a major overhaul of how all my extra cards are stored. With about 500k cards it is taking some time. Next step will be deciding what to do with all the commons that are mostly worthless. The next 6 months will tell me a lot on where my collecting journey takes me.

I am in the process of this right now. I am trying to figure out how best to thin out the junk and not toss something that could be the next "collected" year or parallel or whatever. I am recataloging some things too in my becket collection. its amazing how worthless football cards become. there are guys that I would have thought could carry some value, but they are straight up worthless.....
www.cardboardglory.com - Sortable checklists and other interesting hobby info