`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody else getting bored?

RE: Anybody else getting bored?
(08-12-2022, 08:47 PM)mizzouman_2000@hotmai Wrote: I also rarely look at the 'Box Breaks' sections.
Jonathanraps has taken over Box Breaks, and I don't really have anything to say about a jumbo pack of Topps.  Nothing personal, but nothing exciting.

(08-12-2022, 09:03 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: Jonathanraps has taken over Box Breaks, and I don't really have anything to say about a jumbo pack of Topps.  Nothing personal, but nothing exciting.
I don't buy enough packs frequently enough to post there very often, plus it's just a lot of effort to keep track. lol  I like to just add to my org & move on.  If I get an exceptional hit, I'll most certainly share that, but not every single card.

I used to live in Missouri during mid-70s...when the Cardinals had consistently good players. Is there a buzz about the team again?

I've been going through all my post 2010 stuff and selling it off. Only keeping my Red Sox PC. Maybe I'm just burned out but it all looks the same. And Panini is even worse. The designs don't seem to change much. Even my Xander and Devers PC are just getting stale. Parallels have killed variety. I really don't need 20 of the same picture just with a different color border. Only thing I bought this year was a Devers Downtown...err Home Field Advantage.

(08-12-2022, 09:56 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: I used to live in Missouri during mid-70s...when the Cardinals had consistently good players.  Is there a buzz about the team again?
Absolutely!  Currently in 1st place.  Two NL MVP contenders on the team.  Swept the Yankees for the first time (in regular season?) and I think I heard first time to do it in the past 15 years?  Unfortunately they turned around and got destroyed by the Rockies the first game after sweeping the Yankees. Angry

(08-12-2022, 10:12 PM)pjrussell529 Wrote: I've been going through all my post 2010 stuff and selling it off. Only keeping my Red Sox PC. Maybe I'm just burned out but it all looks the same. And Panini is even worse. The designs don't seem to change much. Even my Xander and Devers PC are just getting stale. Parallels have killed variety. I really don't need 20 of the same picture just with a different color border. Only thing I bought this year was a Devers Downtown...err Home Field Advantage.
Parallels are the absolute worst thing about this hobby since I got back into it last year.  I really despise them, especially the ones that are real difficult to know if you have X or Y parallel. Let's make card collecting simple again.  I'd rather get a unique insert than a parallel - except for maybe autos.  Can keep those...  all the color & finish variations can go suck it IMO.

(08-12-2022, 10:12 PM)pjrussell529 Wrote: I've been going through all my post 2010 stuff and selling it off. Only keeping my Red Sox PC. Maybe I'm just burned out but it all looks the same. And Panini is even worse. The designs don't seem to change much. Even my Xander and Devers PC are just getting stale. Parallels have killed variety. I really don't need 20 of the same picture just with a different color border. Only thing I bought this year was a Devers Downtown...err Home Field Advantage.
I'm also mildly annoyed by Topps 'recycling' previous designs... it's like they're not even putting effort into creating new, unique designs.  I was noticing the other day, wondering how many times the 1987 Topps Bo Jackson has been reprinted over the years..  I think I've found 3 or 4 reprints.

Parallels and SP, SSP, etc. annoy me.  IMO they are just there so the team/player collectors will buy packs to get 1 of every card and thus are purchasing tons of extra worthless base.  I collect the Twins and haven't been interested enough to buy all the base cards this year that have been released.  I also will usually go back a year on Sportlots and look for all the parallels but haven't done that yet.

At a collecting crossroads.  Am now 60.  Have been collecting for 50 years and amassed at least 500k in cards with no kids interested in it.  Don't want to leave as a burden to my wife, needless to say we downsized house so now have a 10x15 climate controlled storage unit for the real extras costing me every month.  I guess more focused on downsizing than anything else right now which is no fun.

(08-13-2022, 12:57 PM)mmahoney Wrote: Parallels and SP, SSP, etc. annoy me.  IMO they are just there so the team/player collectors will buy packs to get 1 of every card and thus are purchasing tons of extra worthless base.  I collect the Twins and haven't been interested enough to buy all the base cards this year that have been released.  I also will usually go back a year on Sportlots and look for all the parallels but haven't done that yet.

At a collecting crossroads.  Am now 60.  Have been collecting for 50 years and amassed at least 500k in cards with no kids interested in it.  Don't want to leave as a burden to my wife, needless to say we downsized house so now have a 10x15 climate controlled storage unit for the real extras costing me every month.  I guess more focused on downsizing than anything else right now which is no fun.
Yeah, I saw a comment the other day basically saying people are crazy for buying boxes looking for certain cards... save the time & money & just buy the card you want.  

On one hand, this is the approach I've sort of started doing - either buying or trading for the cards I want. 
On the other hand, it's fun to see what can be pulled out of a pack.

(08-13-2022, 12:57 PM)mmahoney Wrote: Parallels and SP, SSP, etc. annoy me.  IMO they are just there so the team/player collectors will buy packs to get 1 of every card and thus are purchasing tons of extra worthless base.  I collect the Twins and haven't been interested enough to buy all the base cards this year that have been released.  I also will usually go back a year on Sportlots and look for all the parallels but haven't done that yet.

I like the photo variations and a few parallels but I would never buy an Orange or Purple Xander Bogaerts parallel. I'm a color match guy. Gold, black, red, blue, that's about it. Granted I don't look for any red cause they are usually #/5 but I got some blues and golds.