`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anybody else getting bored?

RE: Anybody else getting bored?
I started to get bored with the hobby overall about 8-10 years ago. I was already starting to get burned out on the hobby and I was delving more into vintage but still primarily after modern cards and had started a Manny Machado and Dustin Pedroia PC.  I think it really hit me when I was chasing a rainbow of Machado in a couple of different sets.  I put them all together, looked at them, and asked myself "why am I wasting money on this?"  It was the same picture, but with a different color border and a serial number stamped on it.  What was really so special about it?  I did like the chase aspect of it but even that was losing it's luster as ultimately, it's the same card but with different print runs.

That, and like someone else said, year to year everything seems to look the same minus a few tweaks here and there.  What's fun about that?  I honestly think the hobby has just turned into a big gamble at this point in regards to busting boxes anyway.  Want to put together a set of 2022 Topps Chrome that consists of 200 cards in the base set?  Good luck.  One box has 98 cards I think.  Take out the inserts/parallels and you're down to about 76 cards.  On top of that, a box is ~$400.  True, you can go buy the cards you want or bulk lots but the enjoyment factor is taken down a huge notch doing that and you're more bored than before.

Set builders, which seemed to be plentiful on this site anyway about 10 years ago, appear to be an endangered species.  Topps flagship should do away with the multitude of short prints and parallels in my opinion.  Keep the regular base cards and have a few decent looking insert sets.  Doesn't even have to be an autograph/jersey/bat/button/jock strap/etc.  Just make it something new and original looking. 

Since they make different pictures for the SPs in Topps flagship, take those pics and use them in refractor parallels.  Base card, refractor with weird stats, blue refractor of player batting, green of player fielding, black of player sitting on the bench, purple of player at GNC, whatever, you get the point.  Make the rainbows different pics as otherwise they are boring.  That, and just stop with the multitude of refractors.  How many are there now? 25 different refractor parallels?  It's ridiculous.

Just a few thoughts/rants on my end.  I'd likely still be an active modern collector instead of a here and there blaster if the card companies kept things a little more organized and simple.  There is a lot of truth to the saying "less is more" in my opinion.

I came back to the hobby back in 1993. Until about 2010, I really enjoyed looking at the new sets and some Yankees themed sets came out. One I really like is the Upper Deck Legends of NY. I admit I like the era of early post war sets up into the 60s. So I'm doing sets from back then to about 2003 or so. I like the subway series that NY had back then so I'm sticking to it.

As far as RC's I'm only getting cards of players that have made it. How many of you remember Brien Taylor, who played his first year in the minors and then got in a bar fight in the off season and never pitched again? I had been buying his RC's like hot cakes and now all worthless. I remember a friend at work and I created an award, the "Brien Taylor Stupid Is As Stupid Does" and we give one out to players that deserve. I'm afraid Tatis might get one, I'll wait to see how it plays out. And my thanks to Forrest Gump for coming up with a good name.

Brian
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

(08-12-2022, 08:46 PM)mizzouman_2000@hotmai Wrote: Same here.  Even though I try to follow the St. Louis Blues, I don't buy much (if any) hockey.  I have some cards and a set that I got as a kid.
LOL everyone, that wasn't my point as to whether people look at the hockey forums ... my point was that this entire board used to be hopping in ALL the forums ... general, breaks or trade in every sport.

Part of it for me is also just hobby fatigue in general, having the almost constant feeling that you're not going to be happy with what you receive.

(Because I know I work very hard on my end as a trader/seller to make sure the cards arrive in the exact condition they left in.)

Example, mentioned in another thread - today I get like six eBay packages.

Among the highlights ...

- One card sent in a penny sleeve and toploader in a PWE, but no tape or team bag over the toploader so the card was sticking out about a quarter inch
- One card was in a toploader with no penny sleeve, but had a large piece of super sticky packing tape over almost the entire front and back of the card, rendering the toploader completely useless and the card really difficult to remove
- But my favorite? Against my better judgement I participated in a group break for the first time ever ... with shipping it was about $15 ... got the package today and all base cards were damaged. The seller is going to refund me for shipping but wow, I think I'm one and done on group breaks

Anyway, yes, I realize these are definitely first world problems, but man, it still doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to do the bare minimum for someone who has paid you some of their hard-earned money.

(08-15-2022, 02:54 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: LOL everyone, that wasn't my point as to whether people look at the hockey forums ... my point was that this entire board used to be hopping in ALL the forums ... general, breaks or trade in every sport.

Part of it for me is also just hobby fatigue in general, having the almost constant feeling that you're not going to be happy with what you receive.

(Because I know I work very hard on my end as a trader/seller to make sure the cards arrive in the exact condition they left in.)

Example, mentioned in another thread - today I get like six eBay packages.

Among the highlights ...

- One card sent in a penny sleeve and toploader in a PWE, but no tape or team bag over the toploader so the card was sticking out about a quarter inch
- One card was in a toploader with no penny sleeve, but had a large piece of super sticky packing tape over almost the entire front and back of the card, rendering the toploader completely useless and the card really difficult to remove
- But my favorite? Against my better judgement I participated in a group break for the first time ever ... with shipping it was about $15 ... got the package today and all base cards were damaged. The seller is going to refund me for shipping but wow, I think I'm one and done on group breaks

Anyway, yes, I realize these are definitely first world problems, but man, it still doesn't seem like it should be that difficult to do the bare minimum for someone who has paid you some of their hard-earned money.
I always worry about people getting cards I sent and they show up damaged.  I feel like I put a good effort into protecting the cards.  No complaints yet.  I know I wouldn't want to receive screwed up cards caused by half-***** effort on the shipping.

(08-15-2022, 05:02 PM)mizzouman_2000@hotmai Wrote: I always worry about people getting cards I sent and they show up damaged.  I feel like I put a good effort into protecting the cards.  No complaints yet.  I know I wouldn't want to receive screwed up cards caused by half-***** effort on the shipping.
Agreed 100 percent.

Example ... last week I sent a trader on here two cards in one-touches as well as about a dozen loose cards in a team bag.

In theory they probably would have been fine in a standard bubble mailer, but I went the extra mile and bubble wrapped them and placed them in a small flat rate Priority Mail box.

The shipping was about twice what a bubble mailer would have been, but it was important to me that my trading buddy get his stuff in great shape.

Why?

Well, A) that's just what a great guy I am and B) I really wanted the card he was trading to me, and I didn't want there to be any complications with shipping and potential damage that would have nixed the trade.

I mean, it's not hard - you just have to give a s--t.

(08-15-2022, 05:44 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I mean, it's not hard - you just have to give a s--t.
This is what's missing from 75% of society, unfortunately.

(08-15-2022, 07:09 PM)mizzouman_2000@hotmai Wrote: This is what's missing from 75% of society, unfortunately.
+100%. If I were to pull 100 people off the street here is what I would expect:
-- 3 would want to kill me.
-- 14 would want to rob me
-- 29 would want me to go away
-- 42 would want to leave right away
-- only 10 would ask what I want from them
-- and 2 would ask if I need help.

I can see how if your collecting is tied to Beckett, you could easily become bored. The forums aren't what they used to be and Beckett is almost a punchline these days when it comes to pricing. If you need up to the minute pricing, other tools might be better (market movers, ebay collection beta, etc...).

But for me, what keeps me from being bored is that my collecting is just an extension of my love for baseball. So I don't see ever getting bored. I am a Reds collector. So I'm usually working on a few vintage projects (currently completing playing day Topps runs of every hall of famer who played for the Reds in the Topps era). As for modern cards, I basically buy all 1st Bowman and Topps RC of all Reds prospects. This gives me an incentive to follow the minor leagues very closely every night and to watch the Reds games every day as well. Not only do I then route for the team, but I follow each player closely whose cards I have. It's neat to follow them up through the minors, into the majors, and even keep following them if they switch teams. I'm a collector, not an investor, so I don't really care about prices. I buy whatever numbered variation of those two cards of each player I want to spend, then never worry about price again.

Additionally, my wife has gotten into collecting with me (as well as my daughter). She follows a different team so we aren't going after the same players. It's a fun way to bond over a shared hobby and helps keep it fresh for us.

I think one thing that would make the hobby more enjoyable is to join a group that has "live" discussions via Zoon, Skype or Teams. I am on a site (members only) that has a weekly "Power Hour" Zoom related to Cards and Card Life.....I'm not very tech savey but something to think about. Maybe a Beckett group?????
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

Would love a zoom with members here..could be a lot of fun!!!!