`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Yogi Berra ....passed away at the age of 90

RE: Yogi Berra ....passed away at the age of 90
(09-23-2015, 07:14 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: 69 years ago today was Yogi's Major League Debut.
RIP Yogi .... You had a full life and will be remembered as one of the game's greatest!
I once mentioned that this (Yogi's passing) would be a very sad day for me, Yogi being one of my 'Yankee links' between my father and I. Ironically, today was the day my Dad passed away 37 years ago. Sad
Sorry about your dad. It's a really sad day for me too. While Mick's death and Thurman's got to me, Yogi's is getting to me the worst. For 62 years (my whole life) Yogi has been the Yankee icon to me.

RIP Yogi!!! You'll never be forgotten!
BTW....folks may not know this but he was an original owner of YooHoo (spelling)...mainly because he liked drinking it...LOL.

[/quote]

You know, a lot of people made fun of Yogi. They said he was ugly, stupid, didn't look like a Yankee etc. etc. I guess Yogi got the last laugh, he did very well for himself, both on and off the field. I hope the idiots who always put him down realize what a great and good man he was. We'll miss you Yogi.

I hope everyone understands why Yogi is one of Yankee players who make my collection what it is!!!
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]

Will be missed

[Image: img394_zpseubebq46.jpg]

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

He will definitely be missed by the baseball community!
[Image: PIpbkRH.png]

Also collecting the top prospects for the Sox.
I never threw an illegal pitch. The trouble is, once in a while I toss one that ain't never been seen by this generation. — Satchel Paige
Special thanks to jbel for the sweet sig!

(09-23-2015, 10:55 AM)Phillies_Joe Wrote: BTW....folks may not know this but he was an original owner of YooHoo (spelling)...mainly because he liked drinking it...LOL.
When asked at a press conference about the spelling of Yoo-Hoo, someone asked if it was hyphenated and Yogi said "nah, it's not even carbonated!" Or something like that!

[Image: D0301174-9822-4A28-8022-DFACADAF4BDB_zps5jmg99nq.jpg]
[Image: null_zps66ae8bc5.jpg]
[Image: 0F681378-5E11-44E2-B14D-CF9F2B26AE14_zps2sjwqaht.jpg]
[Image: 39D7D9AA-9842-4EE6-8875-9E7B92AB4DE9_zpsfkvall2h.jpg]
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

Saw the news this morning...... RIP Yogi

[Image: YogiBerra.jpg]

[Image: Yogi%20Berra%201948%20Reprint_zpscrsrctza.jpg]
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(09-23-2015, 02:23 PM)bamyanks Wrote: Sorry about your dad. It's a really sad day for me too. While Mick's death and Thurman's got to me, Yogi's is getting to me the worst. For 62 years (my whole life) Yogi has been the Yankee icon to me.
Thanks! Thurman's death really hit me harder at the time since that was about a year after my Dad passed .... And Thurman was 'my guy' behind the plate throughout my youth, while Yogi was 'my dad's guy' behind the dish in his youth and he always compared the 2 for me ... Yogi was one of those last Yankee touchstones I had left ... But we were all lucky that he lived such a long and fulfilling life!

Michael Kaye said during tonight's broadcast that Yogi once met The Pope (cant remember which one ... sorry) and said "Hi, Pope!" And the Pope replied, "Hi, Yogi!"
I thought that was pretty funny.

And my last fuzzy memory Yogi Story was when he managed the Yankees, one of those rare times you heard about him getting angry (after a bad road trip). They got in the bus and Phil Linz was playing a harmonica and Yogi stood up, and told him to 'stick that harmonica up your ... !" . Linz didn't hear Yogi over his 'Mary had a Little Lamb' song so he turned to Mickey and asked, "What did he say?" And The Mick replied, "He said to play louder!" Smile That was a huge newspaper story, and semi-responsible for Yogi getting fired after losing the 1964 WS.
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

A true Legend and an icon... Yogi you will be missed by all. Rest in Peace

[Image: imagejpg4_zps472f82de.jpg]

[Image: image.jpg7_zpshatg5eoh.jpg]
https://rad3427.imgbb.com/
WANT LIST
1. Nolan Arenado RCs (all colors)
2. Ken Griffey Jr (90s inserts)
3. Bryce Harper RCs (all colors)
4. Mookie Betts 
5. Juan Soto

Obviously a great player, but from everything I've heard or read about him over the years he was an even better person. May you rest in peace Yogi!

Rest In Peace....

[Image: YBerra_zps53312c41.jpg]
[Image: 0nO6KkN.jpg]
L@@K: "The McCardlane Collection" ... All right here!!!
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rollx8/l...LB%20Cards

And my last fuzzy memory Yogi Story was when he managed the Yankees, one of those rare times you heard about him getting angry (after a bad road trip). They got in the bus and Phil Linz was playing a harmonica and Yogi stood up, and told him to 'stick that harmonica up your ... !" . Linz didn't hear Yogi over his 'Mary had a Little Lamb' song so he turned to Mickey and asked, "What did he say?" And The Mick replied, "He said to play louder!" Smile That was a huge newspaper story, and semi-responsible for Yogi getting fired after losing the 1964 WS.
[/quote]

Yes, I love this story, but did you hear the end of it? It seems that the company that made the harmonica Linz was playing paid Linz either $200 or $500 for the endorsement. Whichever amount it was, it turns out that's what Yogi fined him for the incident. I think neither one held a grudge so they got along. But it's a great story.
[Image: 2p7g0XL.png]