Beckett Message Boards

Full Version: Yogi Berra ....passed away at the age of 90
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
RIP ....YOGI Sad
He was one of the greats and an ambassador of the game!!
69 years ago today was Yogi's Major League Debut.
RIP Yogi .... You had a full life and will be remembered as one of the game's greatest!
I once mentioned that this (Yogi's passing) would be a very sad day for me, Yogi being one of my 'Yankee links' between my father and I. Ironically, today was the day my Dad passed away 37 years ago. Sad
Goodby Mr Berra you will not be forgotten. Thank you for being the great person you were. Still love your last commercial with Yao Ming. Every time I see that commercial it will put a smile on my face.
Truly one of the most entertaining figures in baseball history and a great ambassador for the game. RIP Yogi.
He will definitely be missed, R.I.P. Mr. Berra.
Here's my one card of Yogi:
[Image: Berra20Patch_zpswsxdgunu.jpg]
He was the 1st base coach for the '69 Mets (see my avatar) and, in later years, became the manager.
(09-23-2015, 07:14 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: [ -> ]69 years ago today was Yogi's Major League Debut.
RIP Yogi .... You had a full life and will be remembered as one of the game's greatest!
I once mentioned that this (Yogi's passing) would be a very sad day for me, Yogi being one of my 'Yankee links' between my father and I. Ironically, today was the day my Dad passed away 37 years ago. Sad
It is rather unfortunate, he was one of the greats, and I have used several of his "interesting quotes" in sermons. He made his debut today and his exit today. Class-act! RIP, Yogi

Thanks for the memories Yogi. One of the games greatest characters and greatest players of all-time.

Here's some of his most famous quotes. The wit and wisdom of Yogi.

On getting enough rest:

“I usually take a two-hour nap from one to four.”

On "fan" mail:

Never answer an anonymous letter.”

On education:

“I’m not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did.”

“You can observe a lot by watching.”

On the future:

“The future ain’t what it used to be.”

On travel:

“If you don’t know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.”

“Why buy good luggage, you only use it when you travel.”

“The towels were so thick there I could hardly close my suitcase.”

When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”

On social life:

"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

“It gets late early out here.”

On youth sports:

“I think Little League is wonderful. It keeps the kids out of the house.”

On the human anatomy:

“I don’t know (if they were male or female) fans running naked across the field). They had bags over their heads.”

On receiving advice:

“Take it with a grin of salt.”

On weather:

“It ain’t the heat, it’s the humility.”

On finance:

“A nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore.”

On baseball:

“In baseball, you don’t know nothing.”

“We made too many wrong mistakes.”

“So I’m ugly. I never saw anyone hit with his face.”

“If the people don’t want to come out to the ballpark, nobody’s going to stop them.”

“Baseball is 90 percent mental. The other half is physical.”

“All pitchers are liars or crybabies.”

“We were overwhelming underdogs.”

“Bill Dickey is learning me his experience.”

“He hits from both sides of the plate. He’s amphibious.”

“I always thought that record would stand until it was broken.”

“I can see how he (Sandy Koufax) won 25 games. What I don’t understand is how he lost five.”

“I want to thank everyone for making this night necessary.”

On being thought of as a philosopher:

"I didn't really say everything I said."

On death:

“You should always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise, they won’t come to yours.”

(09-23-2015, 07:14 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: [ -> ]69 years ago today was Yogi's Major League Debut.
I remember a book from when I was little that told the story of Yogi from the time he was little growing up in St Louis til he reached the majors. I read that story over and over again.......not sure why, but some folks just interest you. RIP......

BTW....folks may not know this but he was an original owner of YooHoo (spelling)...mainly because he liked drinking it...LOL.

A great man, player, coach and ambassador of baseball who will be missed.
Pages: 1 2 3