`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What card got you hooked?

RE: What card got you hooked?
The elite series card from the early 1990's, I bought more 1993 Donruss than any kid should have and "only" hit the Barry Larkin and Don Mattingly.

1992 Topps with its Topps Gold and Gold Winner cards. My brother recieved one for his birthday and a friend told us that if we held up the redemption card to light source we could cheat and win everytime. That was until Topps changed the white backs to grey backs.

(06-27-2012, 11:55 AM)DrMitchJ Wrote: What's so funny about Mike Schmidt's card hooking you into collecting?
Thats its an insignificant card, I mean there must be a million just like it lol
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(06-29-2012, 09:44 PM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: Thats its an insignificant card, I mean there must be a million just like it lol
Mine too. That's the best part though, dosent have to be a rare high value card.
Super-Collector of Bernie Williams

Photobucket

As a kid in the 80s I had always got a few packs here and there looking for my favorite players. In 91 the Nolan Ryan Pacific set was the first set I collected. I stopped after that until 92 when the Ted Williams UD Autos were released. Bought boxes after mowing lawns but never got one. Then in 94 started back up with the Mantle/Griffey UD Auto. After that I stopped until 2002 when I started back up with a buddy and been going strong since. I guess the cards that got me hooked was the 02 LCM FOTG set. Just loved the die cut look.

David
http://s41.photobucket.com/home/rednecksims/allalbums
Please be aware I do buy to resell so I cannot pay retail. I can make it easy, quick, and painless to get you PayPal tho without the headaches.

I remembered trying to get the auto's out of 1992 score but I don't remembered one card being one of my favorites back then. However the card that got me back into the hobby when I was an adult was buying Joe Montana's RC.
Main Players: Derek Jeter, Mike Sweeney, Brett Hull, Jordan Binnington, Brendan Gallagher, Jaden Schwartz and Leon Draisaitl
Sets: Allen & Ginter mini, 2018 Archives, 2019 Heritage, 2019-20 OPC/Upper Deck Series 1 & 2 Hockey and 1956 Topps Baseball

I had a neighbor whose dad collected cards. This was back in the 80's and he had 54 and 56 of Mays, Williams and Aaron. He displayed them in a revolving case they were amazing. Then later my uncle gave me a few 58's a Musial and Mantle I think. Still have both. Then when I got done with college I gravitated towards cards again and in 2008 I pulled my best card ever: Dual auto of Cal Ripken Jr and Lou Gehrig numbered to 3. Still hooked to this day...

(07-04-2012, 12:47 AM)magneto2 Wrote: I had a neighbor whose dad collected cards. This was back in the 80's and he had 54 and 56 of Mays, Williams and Aaron. He displayed them in a revolving case they were amazing. Then later my uncle gave me a few 58's a Musial and Mantle I think. Still have both. Then when I got done with college I gravitated towards cards again and in 2008 I pulled my best card ever: Dual auto of Cal Ripken Jr and Lou Gehrig numbered to 3. Still hooked to this day...
Sweet pull.
Super-Collector of Bernie Williams

Photobucket