`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What card got you hooked?

RE: What card got you hooked?
(06-26-2012, 09:25 AM)reido918 Wrote: 1988 Donruss Mark Grace RC. Got one in the first packs I ever opened and, being a Cubs fan, loved it from day one.

[Image: 1988Donruss40MarkGraceRC.jpg]
GREAT CARD!!! that is one of my favorite rated rookies cards, and one of my favorite players!!Big Grin
[Image: 3x75s.png]
a big shout out to jbel4331 for the AWESOME '75 cards!!
PC:TRIBUTE & HERITAGE & CHROME.GRADED '75 TOPPS & VINTAGE

Mine was the 1978 Topps Eddie Murray. I was 10 at the time and don't remember opening any packs before 1978. I saw the Murray and I was hooked. I remember thinking, "he doesn't look much older than me!"

Decided to put the set together and it took nearly a year because I could not get my hands on Andres Mora or Terry Whitfield. While on vacation with my family I was able to trade for them from a kid while visiting my grandmother in Florida. I still have the set.........

While I did not get into seriously collecting Murray until 3-4 years ago, he was someone whose cards I always kept put aside.
Collecting Doug Waechter (118/149), Jared Sandberg (107/125), 1994-95 BB Michael Jordan (69/89), 1977-1997 Eddie Murray (877/943), and Bo Jackson BB/FB 1986-1995 (447/486), 2007 Fleer Mini Gold (126/370). Only completing trades with something on my lists.

These 3...

[Image: bilkoetc.jpg]

I had bought a few packs before, but these were the first single cards I ever bought. Paid $1.10 for the 3 of them. Mom berated me for wasting my money on stupid baseball cards, Father praised me- especially on the Musial.
[Image: amazontmsc.jpg]

This was my first ever baseball card back in 1988. I got it at a flea market for five cents,it was the only card I bought even though I had a quarter and there was a table full of cards. I was 6 years old,and I became hooked. haha. It's one of my earliest memories. I didn't even know who Mattingly was,but I liked the hat he was wearing because it matched my tee-ball hat Big Grin

[Image: 1988ToppsDonMattingly-Front1.jpg]
[Image: 60JLt.png]

[Image: TexasHorns.jpg]

My Teams: Longhorns (Colt McCoy & Vince Young PC) - Ravens (Ray Lewis PC) - Yankees (Alex Rodriguez PC)

About 10 years ago probably, my Dad bought me a big box of cards(5000) from the LCS. That got me hooked. I went through that box at least 50 times sorting it all sorts of ways, taking out my favorite players, and just enjoying the cards. I still have it and it contained some cards that are among my favorites to this day.

10 days ago I found out that my dad only has about a month to live due to Brain Cancer. I went to my LCS and bought one of the same boxes and sat with him and went through it. It was awesome.
[Image: bWSA7.png]
Collecting: Alfonso Soriano and Boston Red Sox

I don't have a single card that got me hooked, but a couple of sets. The first cards I ever got were in packs from the '87 Topps set. The ol' wood cards. Wink My Dad brought me some packs of these (and the '88 Topps cards) from time to time trying to get me into liking baseball.
I really got into cards after my parents split up and my Dad and I would buy '89 Topps packs every time we were at a store that sold them. They were so easily accessible that I ended up with a lot of cards from that set. I don't have most of our original collection now, but have LOTS of cards from that set. They hold great memories for me.
I slowly branched out into collecting cards of other sports for the next dozen years before starting to focus on more specific goals.

I have to say that I now own or have owned several cards posted in this thread. I (almost obviously) have that '84 Ozzie OPC posted by rmpaq5. I also have the '84 Donruss Mattingly, '88 D'russ Grace, and '89 D'russ Matt Williams. I never had the '89 UD KGJr, but I have/had the Donruss RC and Fleer RC. I still have the Donruss RC, but it is in not-so-good shape, but I pulled it back in 1989 or 90 when I was a young teenager and didn't exactly now how to take care of my cards then.
I do love seeing the cards that folks are posting though. So PLZ keep them coming.

EDIT: I also had that '88 Schmidt. I might actually still have that one. The card I remember most from the '88 Topps set was the Mike Greenwell card. I can't remember if it was an All-Star card or an All Rookie Team card. Mine ended up with a crease across the bottom right corner, so I probably still have that one too.

Im surprised nobody is laughing at mine lol
[Image: YTORkDJ.png]
Thanks to Jbel4331 for my sig!!!!

Collecting 1964 Topps Venezuelan(completed),Andres Galarraga, Cal Ripken Jr, Miguel Cabrera, Bobby Abreu, Phillies, Venezuelan players and players from my sig. Also all Topps sets from the 80s, 90s, 2000s, 2010s

(06-26-2012, 11:50 PM)alfredoleal2001 Wrote: Im surprised nobody is laughing at mine lol
What's so funny about Mike Schmidt's card hooking you into collecting?
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

For me it wasn't a single card and it wasn't even baseball cards at that. I asked my dad for cards for my 13th birthday so he took me to the LCS. Kings Sports Cards in Oak Harbor, WA. I want to say this was around 96 My first cards I could remember was 89 Topps Football and pulled a Barry Sanders Topps Tiffany. Also 81 Score Football and pulled the Farve RC. My favorite sets when I started was 97 Ultra Football and 97 Upper Deck Holoviews. I use to play football as a kid and loved to pull WR cards and see if I had the same number as them. 85. But for baseball it was a trip to my Grandmas house where my dad had some old photo albums and he had some Yankee cards from the 70s even though old for me I thought they were the coolest thing.

(06-25-2012, 07:01 PM)swingin75 Wrote: For me it was this I got it in 1995 for my 6th birthday and after that I was hooked for life.
[Image: 77cc014e.jpg]
Sweet Birthday Gift! Still want one of those...
(06-26-2012, 11:52 AM)Mr Sarmie Wrote: I just started collecting baseball about 4 month ago and this was the card that got me hooked. 2nd pack of baseball I ever got.

[Image: fe3362dd.jpg]
Sweet Card!
(06-27-2012, 01:31 PM)RobbinsDynasty Wrote: For me it wasn't a single card and it wasn't even baseball cards at that. I asked my dad for cards for my 13th birthday so he took me to the LCS. Kings Sports Cards in Oak Harbor, WA. I want to say this was around 96 My first cards I could remember was 89 Topps Football and pulled a Barry Sanders Topps Tiffany. Also 81 Score Football and pulled the Farve RC. My favorite sets when I started was 97 Ultra Football and 97 Upper Deck Holoviews. I use to play football as a kid and loved to pull WR cards and see if I had the same number as them. 85. But for baseball it was a trip to my Grandmas house where my dad had some old photo albums and he had some Yankee cards from the 70s even though old for me I thought they were the coolest thing.
Love the avatar
Super-Collector of Bernie Williams

Photobucket