`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Braves win?!?! Very close call

RE: Braves win?!?! Very close call
I watched that replay dozens of times now, and being a fan of neither team, I really don't think he made the tag. I see nothing that makes me think there was actually contact between the mitt and the runner. Sure, the ball beat him by a mile, but you still have to make the tag. Obviously instant replay won't fix this because everyone in this thread has seen the same replay and we still can't agree. I don't think the tag was made.

(07-27-2011, 10:48 AM)JASCards Wrote: Having been an umpire for last 20 or so years, having attended Jim Evans' School of Professional Umpiring, I watched the play a lil differently. The worst part of the call, tag applied or not, is that the umpire called him safe and signed him safe before Lugo ever touched home plate. Lugo actually touches the plate a few secconds after the call was made.....
As for this, watch the replay again. Looks to me like he touched the plate immediately after passing the catcher on the hop and the umpire then called him safe. Lugo did go back and touch the plate again just to be sure (which I'm assuming is what you are referring to being a couple seconds after the call), but it sure looks like he got the plate on the first pass before the call.

It was definitely a tough call. As a Cardinals fan I liked the call, as a baseball fan Im not sure the call was right. Do we need instant replay in baseball? I dont think we do. The Umps get the call right 99.9% of the time so I say lets leave well enough alone.
[Image: stl.jpg]
I build sets, collect Lou Brock & Jeremy Maclin. Both of my sons went to Kirkwood HS with Jeremy. I will also look at Kurt Warner, Big Ben and Old Big Red Auto's.

Someone here posted an idea about implementing more replay but only 7th inning or later. I think that'd make sense, also in the playoffs they should extend replay to more than home runs
[Image: yrBtR.png]
Collecting Reds and A's (especially Joey Votto, Bronson Arroyo, and Josh Reddick)