Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
OT-Scotch tape on toploaders

RE: OT-Scotch tape on toploaders
I can't stand it it ruins top loaders. I just put the top loader in a
A team bag and that is fine it doesn't move around and protects the card from water
[Image: 49ers.jpg]

http://s470.photobucket.com/albums/rr70/brett031382/

Super collecting 2008 Leaf Certified, Patrick Willis and multi color patch autos

(05-07-2011, 01:53 PM)slufan83 Wrote: I've found that the blue painters tape comes off pretty easily. But honestly tape or not, any PC cards I ever get go into new holders anyway. I try to keep 2 boxes of card holders at all times....one for PC stuff and recent pulls and another with stuff that might has scuffs or tape on them that I re-use for shipping.
Exactly! All my cards go in new sleeves and holders. The only thing that should matter is your card arriving safely.
[Image: wavysig.jpg]

Cris Carter Collector 1660/2351
John Randle Collector 349/568
Pro Set Collector

http://s696.photobucket.com/albums/vv327...e%20Cards/

I think 98% of people agree that we should do away with the scotch tape and crappy toploaders. I know a couple dont agree and this was the purpose of this thread to hear everyones opinion. I think overall, everyone is going to start, if they havent already, sending/receiving with a little more common courtesy. There will be some that wont go with the flow and I am sure all these crappy toploaders will start making there way to these people. No offense, but alot of us are tired of it and if some dont mind the taped up loaders, you will get them. I know i wont be sending anymore with tape on them, and I hope not to receive any.
[Image: IMG_0004-3-1-1-1-1.jpg][Image: dcb5423c-6775-419e-9e21-4965884632ba.jpg]

I use this tape that does not ruin the top loader. It is like a nice plastic tape. It does not leave that sticky residue like some do. But I also prefer the team bags. I only use that tape when I am out and can not get to the LCS

(05-07-2011, 10:17 PM)jncdrew Wrote: I think 98% of people agree that we should do away with the scotch tape and crappy toploaders. I know a couple dont agree and this was the purpose of this thread to hear everyones opinion. I think overall, everyone is going to start, if they havent already, sending/receiving with a little more common courtesy. There will be some that wont go with the flow and I am sure all these crappy toploaders will start making there way to these people. No offense, but alot of us are tired of it and if some dont mind the taped up loaders, you will get them. I know i wont be sending anymore with tape on them, and I hope not to receive any.
It's not that I disagree, I would love to get all my cards in brand new top loaders. The fact is I have 100's of taped top loaders from trading and from eBay. Now I am just supposed to toss them in the trash instead of recycling them? Great, now there is more plastic in the dumps because people don't want to reuse taped top loaders for trading purposes. Even if the few of you do away with them you will still get one almost every time you buy from eBay and now I guess they are just trash. Most likely it will lead to better pre-trade communication, which I can't argue with at all.

Pro Set Collector

My rants against excess tape (in general) are legendary.

Team bags are cheap and do the same job much more cleanly.

(05-07-2011, 06:35 AM)branesergen Wrote: I look at it as affordability. Not everyone can afford postage, new bubble mailers, new toploaders etc etc to trade. If you factor in everything on just 10 trades you're pushing $20. Hell I know I dont want to pay $5 in shipping fees to send out 10 toploaders when I can pay $2 to send out 2.
The only thing I'd say to that, is another one of my personal themes - trading is a privilege, NOT a God-given right. If you can't afford to trade safely and successfully, then you can't afford to trade. Trading is much cheaper than buying, but everyone should still do so within his/her own personal budget.

[Image: ceocards6copy.png]

Click on banner for photobucket link.

(05-08-2011, 09:30 AM)ceocards Wrote: My rants against excess tape (in general) are legendary.

The only thing I'd say to that, is another one of my personal themes - trading is a privilege, NOT a God-given right. If you can't afford to trade safely and successfully, then you can't afford to trade. Trading is much cheaper than buying, but everyone should still do so within his/her own personal budget.
Man I think my budget got blown up about three days after I joined Beckett lol. I have a bad habit of looking at trade threads or box breaks and thinking oh I want that. Thank God my mailman is my brother in law if not there's no telling how many complaints I would have against me for excessive mail lol
[Image: 4E727BD9-orig.jpg]

Tyson Jackson
Total Cards - 469/638 - 74 %
Autos - 164/249 - 66 %
Mems - 221/280 - 79 %
RC - 38/38 - 100 %
1/1s - 21
Total Tyson Jackson Cards Including Dupes 641

My wife is a nurse and I take her medical tape. Best thing ever, easy to tear, easy to take off a top loader and leaves no residue.
Collecting Bob Feller, 1951 Bowman, anything Cleveland.

[Image: SonnyDay.jpg]

(05-08-2011, 03:28 AM)wavytiger1975 Wrote: It's not that I disagree, I would love to get all my cards in brand new top loaders. The fact is I have 100's of taped top loaders from trading and from eBay. Now I am just supposed to toss them in the trash instead of recycling them? Great, now there is more plastic in the dumps because people don't want to reuse taped top loaders for trading purposes. Even if the few of you do away with them you will still get one almost every time you buy from eBay and now I guess they are just trash. Most likely it will lead to better pre-trade communication, which I can't argue with at all.
Dont get me wrong, I know there nearly every toploader coming from ebay is gonna have tape on it. I know there are alot member here sell on ebay so maybe it will start to filter there too, I doubt it though. Everyone that buys cards from ebay could easily say, "please dont send me a toploader with tape on it". I dont expect a brand new toploader everytime, that wasnt what I meant to imply. It is the loaders with ten kinds of tape all over them and so forth. I agree with you on the environment, but that is a whole other subject and would take a lifetime to solve. I have tried to get the tape off alot of them and had success on most, but it is just a pain. I try to reuse what i can. Some are not worth the effort. The purpose of this thread was to bring overall awareness of the negatives of scotch tape, I thought i may be the only one, but there has been an overwhelming response from members who would prefer other forms of receiving their cards.
(05-08-2011, 09:30 AM)ceocards Wrote: My rants against excess tape (in general) are legendary.

Exactly, it is just a matter of courtesy in my mind, and i am no angel, I have sent out my fair share of them, but will no longer from yesterday forward.

I know everyone cant afford new loaders. I dont think everyone expects a new loader on every trade, I dont. If we just eliminate the tape, sooner or later, it will be a common trading courtesy just like a bubble mailer, and there will be plenty of toploaders to ship with that are reusable and somewhat pleasing to the eye when a member receives.
[Image: IMG_0004-3-1-1-1-1.jpg][Image: dcb5423c-6775-419e-9e21-4965884632ba.jpg]

(05-08-2011, 01:05 PM)jncdrew Wrote: Dont get me wrong, I know there nearly every toploader coming from ebay is gonna have tape on it. I know there are alot member here sell on ebay so maybe it will start to filter there too, I doubt it though. Everyone that buys cards from ebay could easily say, "please dont send me a toploader with tape on it". I dont expect a brand new toploader everytime, that wasnt what I meant to imply. It is the loaders with ten kinds of tape all over them and so forth. I agree with you on the environment, but that is a whole other subject and would take a lifetime to solve. I have tried to get the tape off alot of them and had success on most, but it is just a pain. I try to reuse what i can. Some are not worth the effort. The purpose of this thread was to bring overall awareness of the negatives of scotch tape, I thought i may be the only one, but there has been an overwhelming response from members who would prefer other forms of receiving their cards.

I know everyone cant afford new loaders. I dont think everyone expects a new loader on every trade, I dont. If we just eliminate the tape, sooner or later, it will be a common trading courtesy just like a bubble mailer, and there will be plenty of toploaders to ship with that are reusable and somewhat pleasing to the eye when a member receives.
OK, I understand a lot better now. I can also get on board with this, thanks for the discussion.

Pro Set Collector