`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What card got you hooked?

RE: What card got you hooked?
It wasn't a card for me. It was actually a set for me. It was the 1987 Topps Green Christmas boxed set. My grandmother got it for me for Christmas when I was 12. I still have that set to this day.

It's not worth the cardboard it was printed on. But to me it's priceless. My grandmother passed away a couple of years ago, so whenever I go into the closet that the set is in and see the set, it reminds me of her.

Pudges 1991 Upper Deck! It was the very first card I ever got. It was my bday and my dad got it for me (overpaid at a card shop lol) and then took me to a Rangers A's game! Since then, I have been hooked

The first time? 2nd time? 99th time? Smile
X

as weird as it is, this card.

[Image: 4c09167f62f5f_68455n.jpg]

LOVED this card as a kid, had to have it. I had a few cards before, but I didn't start really collecting until I came across this card in my friends stack. After I got it from him, the rest is history.

For me it was this I got it in 1995 for my 6th birthday and after that I was hooked for life.
[Image: 77cc014e.jpg]

The 89 Upper Deck Griffey RC. I was looking through a friends Beckett Magazine in 1989 and came across the listing for this card. I said "Whoa! This card is worth $10!" I couldn't believe that a card could be worth so much. My friend said he had it and he traded it to me. Still have it and that is the card that got me hooked
[Image: Boston.jpg]

1987 Donruss Mark McGwire. I bought a box at a show when I was 12 and pulled 4 out of the same box. I don't even think I currently own any McGwire rookies now but in the day that was "the card".
[Image: rickeybanner.png]

Collecting: Rickey Henderson, Lyle Overbay, Bob Coluccio and Jerome Iginla

it wasnt one card, but a shoe box full of late 60's-mid 70's. I bought it from my older brothers friend in 1977. It had a little basketball, football & hockey also. It just amazed me all the different designs & poses etc. After that I asked everyone if they had cards they didnt want & everytime I was at a store w/ my mom I would beg her for a couple of packs, ask her to buy twinkies & ho ho's. Not for the product mind you, but for the baseball cards they printed on the bottom! Also during the baseball season when kelloggs put cards in their cereal.......thats all I would eat!Big Grin
[Image: 3x75s.png]
a big shout out to jbel4331 for the AWESOME '75 cards!!
PC:TRIBUTE & HERITAGE & CHROME.GRADED '75 TOPPS & VINTAGE

I got hooked 3 different times over the years. The first card that got me really started was a 1968 Topps #490 Mantle, Mays, Killebrew card. Flipping cards was a great schoolyard pastime, but not so great for card condition :) After a few years of buying, flipping, trading, I fell out of it.
I got rehooked in 1984 when I got my Topps Mattingly rookie card, and was buying like crazy, until about when Upper Deck and Score came out and Bowman was revived.
Then my final hiatus was snapped when I picked up a 2011 Heritage pack at Target and there was a signed Brooks Robinson card there. That was really cool, and it got me hooked all over again. The 2011 Diamond Giveaway helped to reconnect me with some of the older cards that didn't survive my schoolyard flipping :)
Sorry to ramble and Thanks for listening!
Dr. Mitch
[Image: Ch4Mt.png]
I guess if I saved used tinfoil and used tea bags instead of old comic books and old baseball cards, the difference between a crazed hoarder and a savvy collector is in that inherent value.

The card that got me hooked was this one:

[Image: reds0009.jpg]

It was the first auto/relic I ever pulled. I had bought cards in the past but actualy owning a piece of the game got me wanting more. The fact the card also contained an auto was a plus. It is serieal #002/700 with the first 25 containg autos.
Mat Latos & Chris Heisey collector.
2012 Bowman Chrome Mat Latos Rainbow done!
Looking for the last printing plate.