`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RE-SLAB A PSA CARD TO BGS

RE-SLAB A PSA CARD TO BGS
what is fee for taking a PSA graded card, and submitting it to BGS for the Beckett slab?

I have 4 PSA cards that I want to have Beckett grade

or should I just crack open the PSA slab and submit a raw card?

RE: RE-SLAB A PSA CARD TO BGS
Here's what Beckett lists on their site:

https://www.beckett.com/grading/faq

Quote:Re-grading Cards from Other Grading Services
We offer this service at a number of shows that we attend across the US.
For mail-in orders, please read rules below.
How to Submit Your Graded Card Review Order
  1. Start with a standard BGS submission form. Fill out the submission form just like you would on your ungraded cards. If you do not require a minimum grade, you may write "No Minimum Grade" on the top of the form. Otherwise, please list next to the "Declared Value" area the "Minimum Grade" you would like on each card, or each line of the submission form. The minimum grade you list is what our graders will use to determine if the card you have submitted needs to be removed or not. If our graders are not confident that your minimum grade will be reached, it will not be removed from the original holder. It will be returned to you with a note describing why the minimum grade was not reached.
  2. Graded Card Review (GCR) – Beckett Grading will review graded cards from BGS/BVG/BCCG and all other grading companies for subgrade bumps or an overall specified minimum grade. Cards must be listed on the submission form, with a minimum grade requested. Pricing for each review will depend on the service level selected. The review fee is the same price as the published grading fee, for each level. If the minimum grade is reached, the card will be removed from the case and placed into a Beckett case at no additional fee. If the minimum grade is not reached, the card will be returned in the submitted holder.
  3. Select the service level (turnaround time). When your cards are reviewed, any cards crossing over will be graded and processed under the turnaround time selected. Your credit card will be charged for the selected service level, plus a $3 cracking fee per card. You MUST pay for the GCR service with a credit card. The reason for this is that if the minimum grade is reached, you will be charged additional fees for case removal and the standard grading fee. An invoice will be mailed back with the order to show you the exact fees you were charged. If the minimum grade is not reached, you will only be charged the review fee.
  4. After your submission form is completed, please package your cards, the submission form, and a signed copy of the waiver form and send the cards to us. You may ship them through any service you would like, but we highly recommend you insure your cards.

There are two schools of thought regarding sending in slabs from other companies:

1.  If it's a high grade and you don't want to risk it potentially being lower (remember a grade is someone's opinion of the condition of the card, there may be variances between graders) submit it in the PSA holder and note what minimum grade you'd accept to be crossed over to BGS.  You'll be charged a grading fee regardless but if it doesn't meet the minimum you won't be charged the cracking fee.  However there might be some bias involved going between services and the card may not grade as high.

2.  Crack the card out yourself, save yourself the cracking fee, and roll the dice that it will achieve the same or better grade than you had with PSA.  You'll remove the potential bias of a competing service but if you don't like the opinion of the grader there's no going back without regrading with PSA again.

I can't say with authority which is the best or if there is any level of bias involved.  Personally I would only cross a card over if I wanted the holder/registry and didn't care all that much if the grade changed.  Best of luck and if you decide to proceed please report back your experience!

RE: RE-SLAB A PSA CARD TO BGS
excellent, that's what I remember too, a $3 fee for "cracking" the PSA casing
I didn't see the FAQ section in grading, I appreciate you pointing me to it.
thank you - CHIP