`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2023 Heritage?

RE: 2023 Heritage?
(04-17-2023, 10:50 PM)chevy man 22 Wrote: ...as well as the highly sought after Social Media Influencers insert set.
When I got back into the hobby and learned about the non-baseball related (hell, non-sports related) inserts, I stopped buying them.  When I pay for baseball cards, I want baseball related cards, not cards of galaxies, trees, birds and people unrelated to baseball...  

Thanks for the warning on this set taking a similar path so I'll  know not to buy any of them going forward.

(04-22-2023, 03:07 PM)mizzouman_2000@hotmai Wrote: When I got back into the hobby and learned about the non-baseball related (hell, non-sports related) inserts, I stopped buying them.  When I pay for baseball cards, I want baseball related cards, not cards of galaxies, trees, birds and people unrelated to baseball...  

Thanks for the warning on this set taking a similar path so I'll  know not to buy any of them going forward.
First, the set you are referring to with galaxies, trees, birds, etc... is Allen and Ginter. It is a throwback to the history of baseball cards when the original Allen and Ginter sets of the 19th century included those types of oddities. You don't have to like it, or collect that set, but understand the reason it exists. It isn't to introduce some new aspect to the hobby, but to acknowledge an old aspect of the hobby.

As for Big League, it appears your conclusion that it is "taking a similar path" is a bit overblown. It includes 5 cards of people in the hobby who are not baseball players. Those cards are very shortprinted. When you open a box of Big League you will basically never see one. The box opening experience of Big League is absolutely nothing like Allen and Ginter and is entirely a baseball rip. If you happen to pull one of the rare "influencer" cards, just sell it for a few hundred dollars and buy another box of cards.

(04-24-2023, 07:53 AM)PhoenixRisen Wrote: First, the set you are referring to with galaxies, trees, birds, etc... is Allen and Ginter. It is a throwback to the history of baseball cards when the original Allen and Ginter sets of the 19th century included those types of oddities. You don't have to like it, or collect that set, but understand the reason it exists. It isn't to introduce some new aspect to the hobby, but to acknowledge an old aspect of the hobby.
Yeah, that's what I learned after expressing my opinion about A&G on this forum the first time awhile ago.

The MLB channel has a show on Sunday AM 0730 called "CARDED"
Last week they had a segment on A&G..interesting history and why it is preserved today with the different insert cards.

I DVR the show..not bad..

(04-22-2023, 03:07 PM)mizzouman_2000@hotmai Wrote: When I got back into the hobby and learned about the non-baseball related (hell, non-sports related) inserts, I stopped buying them.  When I pay for baseball cards, I want baseball related cards, not cards of galaxies, trees, birds and people unrelated to baseball...  

I do like the sports "crossovers" they sometimes have ... a few years ago they had Rocky Balboa, Apollo Creed and some of the villains from those movies.

They also have football and basketball players from time to time.

(My favorite pulls were memorabilia cards of Bobby Knight and Nick Saban)

But I'm with you on the birds and trees and what not, LOL

(04-24-2023, 08:38 PM)bonds20001 Wrote: The MLB channel has a show on Sunday AM 0730 called "CARDED"
Last week they had a segment on A&G..interesting history and why it is preserved today with the different insert cards.

I DVR the show..not bad..
I love this show.....interesting to hear players stories/reactions to their own cards.  Once has a discussion with Miakel Franco about his Gypsy Queen cards and autographs, he smiled, shook his head and and rolled his eyes - reaction was about how many auto's he had to do.  Check out the show when you get a chance.........
*When it's all said and done - all we have left is our reputation.

(04-21-2023, 06:52 AM)PhoenixRisen Wrote: Unfortunately, it's not. Those cards go for obscene money for what they are.
Good grief.

(04-25-2023, 11:51 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: ...They also have football and basketball players from time to time.

(My favorite pulls were memorabilia cards of Bobby Knight and Nick Saban)

But I'm with you on the birds and trees and what not, LOL
At least they're sports figures... even though not baseball.

(04-30-2023, 01:24 PM)mizzouman_2000@hotmai Wrote: At least they're sports figures... even though not baseball.
Forgot to mention, they occasionally sprinkle in athletes that don’t have a lot of other cards … Micheal Phelps, Roger Federer, etc.