Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This Hobby Cracks Me Up Sometimes - 2020-21 Panini Retail Tin

This Hobby Cracks Me Up Sometimes - 2020-21 Panini Retail Tin
What's up Gem Fire Banger Bros,

So in another thread I posted the results of the 2020-21 Optic NBA blaster that I got with the store credit from Dave & Adam's via the Aaron Judge/Paul Goldschmidt Topps Chrome MVP Buyback promotion.

https://www.beckett.com/forums/thread-1623096.html

The blaster was pretty solid overall but I didn't pull either of the cards I was hoping for - the Rated Rookies of LaMelo Ball or Anthony Edwards.

Seeing as how I never saw a single pack of this stuff during the height of the DBN Era, I figured my chance had come and gone.

Well, turns out my local Walmart was selling these special "re-pack" tins of 2020-21 Optic and Prizm this week ...

[Image: Curry.jpg] 

As you can see in the photo, two packs of each ... for the low low price of $24.98 apiece.

I bought two the other day and was severely disappointed - no good pulls to speak of at all.

So of course I went back yesterday and cleared out the last four tins - you know, relying on the "they can't all be that lame, can they?" philosophy.

The first three were equally as bad as the first two, though I did pull a nice Killian Hayes silver prizm Rated Rookie for my Pistons PC.

So, I was down to the last pack in the last tin, figuring I'd really blown it ... then pulled this Gem Fire Banger right here:

[Image: Ball.jpg]

The dust and scratches are from the toploader ... I'm not a grader guy but if I was, I would definitely send this one in.

(By the way, I don't recommend these ... I feel extremely lucky to have pulled this as the caliber of the rest of the other 23 packs across all six tins was very, very underwhelming.)

Also, side note to Panini ... these tins would have been super cool without the "fat head" effect.

They have ruined many a nice insert by going the fat head route.

Anyway, done with this product for sure!

RE: This Hobby Cracks Me Up Sometimes - 2020-21 Panini Retail Tin
Glad you got one of the cards you wanted. I agree 100% on the fat head thing. One of the dumbest things I have ever seen.

(12-14-2022, 11:29 AM)akaus Wrote: Glad you got one of the cards you wanted. I agree 100% on the fat head thing. One of the dumbest things I have ever seen.
I found some Mosaic retail last year and they had these otherwise nice-looking inserts called "Jam Masters" .. with the fat heads.

Like ... why?

What focus group did they talk to that was like, "yeah, these are cool" ...

(12-14-2022, 11:40 AM)rjcj2017 Wrote: I found some Mosaic retail last year and they had these otherwise nice-looking inserts called "Jam Masters" .. with the fat heads.

Like ... why?

What focus group did they talk to that was like, "yeah, these are cool" ...
Yep. I know exactly what set you are talking about. These tins look better compared to those cards. I'm glad that no one I collect hardcore is in that set. I don't think I could have any in my collection.

(12-14-2022, 12:01 PM)akaus Wrote: Yep. I know exactly what set you are talking about. These tins look better compared to those cards. I'm glad that no one I collect hardcore is in that set. I don't think I could have any in my collection.
I wanna say I pulled the Vince Carter and the Jason Richardson (?), two guys I collect ... and they didn't even make it into penny sleeves.

$6 a retail pack seems like a bad value to me.

Nice card though - a real Gem Fire Banger Bro.

(12-14-2022, 01:10 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: $6 a retail pack seems like a bad value to me.

Nice card though - a real Gem Fire Banger Bro.
The odd thing is that in my Optic blaster from Dave & Adam's, each of the 7 packs in the box had a Rated Rookie card.

However, out of the 12 total Optic packs I opened from these 6 tins, about a third of them did not have any rookie cards ... and they didn't appear re-sealed or anything, they just had an insert or color/prizm parallel if they didn't have a RC.

Sooooo ... I have no freaking clue how randomly lucky I was to pull this card, given that there are 50 Rated Rookies in that set.