`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
It's Official Panini is Definitely Trolling Football Card Collectors Now

It's Official Panini is Definitely Trolling Football Card Collectors Now
2022 Gold Standard FOTL Boxes now listed (with a floor price of $250)

And check out the description of the contents from Panini (yes, I am not making this up)

"Look for 5 autographs (including 1 nouveau riche patch auto) and 2 base or base parallels (including 1 base/rookie emerald parallel) per box, on average!"

Yes, Panini is actually releasing a set or maybe a parallel using a term that is universally used in a negative light to refer to tacky people who come into a bit of money and immediately start flaunting their wealth.  And often used to describe people who are poseurs - I guess Pyrite Rookie Patch Autographs would be too obvious.

https://www.paniniamerica.net/1st-off-th...d-box.html

Also trolling collectors - the floor price here requires paying more per autograph card than I've ever paid for any Gold Standard card - and I think I've mainly bought the generally quite nice Gold Jacket HOF set - which means that even getting some of the best cards in the set (HOF autographs) you are going to be paying more per card for the box than you would for the individual card.

RE: It's Official Panini is Definitely Trolling Football Card Collectors Now
Oh, I left out one of the best parts - for the new Gold Plated Memorabilia Set they are using a A.J. Brown Tennessee Titans Relic to illustrate it on the sell sheet.

Yes, the same A.J. Brown who the Titans traded to the Philadelphia Eagles on the day of the NFL Draft.

(09-07-2022, 01:23 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: Oh, I left out one of the best parts - for the new Gold Plated Memorabilia Set they are using a A.J. Brown Tennessee Titans Relic to illustrate it on the sell sheet.

Yes, the same A.J. Brown who the Titans traded to the Philadelphia Eagles on the day of the NFL Draft.
Remember, in life, in order to do well, you have to start by giving a crap.

The end of days is near, my friends.

(09-07-2022, 06:01 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Remember, in life, in order to do well, you have to start by giving a crap.

The end of days is near, my friends.
I find it amazing and more than a little scary that even as the signs of a weakening market are there that box and break prices remain extremely high and that breaker culture (such as it is) is remaining strong - people are simply gambling with odds that are on a dollar basis almost assuredly worse than buying lottery tickets (the gold standard of throwing money away on an extreme long shot).   Eventually something is going to have to give - I am already seeking more and more individual cards dropping down - especially with the HoF players who are best likely to hold long term value.  When guys who have never played an NFL game are selling for more than legendary HoF players (even as individual card prices continue to decline) there is something seriously wrong. 

But between the Gem Mint Fire Bro crowd and Panini mailing in their products as they move to the end of the license, we are sure to get plenty of humor as we watch the football card market collapse

I cannot stop laughing at the fact that they call the FOTL exclusive RPA in the Gold Standard FOTL Noveau Riche.  It's definitely a sign of a company who has stopped caring because they realize that people are going to buy anything.

Meanwhile, we are not totally sitting back and watching it burn. What amuses me is that we are still participants via the secondary market and we are still getting what we want for a fraction of the price of the packs.
Please reach out with any/all inquiries regarding sending me Riley Leonard cards.
WANTS:
RILEY LEONARD/Jake Bobo
Tre Jones
Cam Newton/Christian McCaffrey
2015/2017 Panthers

(09-08-2022, 09:05 AM)CMCFan22 Wrote: Meanwhile, we are not totally sitting back and watching it burn. What amuses me is that we are still participants via the secondary market and we are still getting what we want for a fraction of the price of the packs.
I honestly cannot believe the low prices people actually sell cards for compared to the price of boxes - especially for the NIL players.  You got a NIL Quarterback out of a $20-$30 box - holding onto it to see if maybe the guy becomes a high NFL draft pick seems to be a much more prudent move than selling it for $3.

But maybe I just don't understand flipping.

(09-09-2022, 09:34 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: I honestly cannot believe the low prices people actually sell cards for compared to the price of boxes - especially for the NIL players.  You got a NIL Quarterback out of a $20-$30 box - holding onto it to see if maybe the guy becomes a high NFL draft pick seems to be a much more prudent move than selling it for $3.

I mentioned this in another thread but there are a couple of guys that bust stuff together on Facebook ... they're actually pretty mellow dudes (not Gem Fire Effing Let's Go Bros) ... they pretty much bust everything as far as football and basketball that Panini puts out, and with prices for hobby boxes what they are nowadays, I don't think I've seen them bust any box less than $500.

And I am astonished at what little return they get - like, Jack Sikma autographs out of $1,000 boxes, no offense to Sikma fans - on pretty much a routine basis.

I don't know where they get their money to keep busting this stuff, but it's pretty much at least a couple grand every time I watch them, and they've put out a bunch of videos.

The only thing I can think of is that they're sponsored by Panini, because they never bust Topps baseball or Upper Deck hockey products, but I don't recall any mentions of it or graphics or logos or anything like that.

It's lunacy.

(09-09-2022, 09:34 AM)ZSDOne Wrote: I honestly cannot believe the low prices people actually sell cards for compared to the price of boxes - especially for the NIL players.  You got a NIL Quarterback out of a $20-$30 box - holding onto it to see if maybe the guy becomes a high NFL draft pick seems to be a much more prudent move than selling it for $3.

LMAO - Flippers don't even understand flipping.
Collecting: Ohio State Buckeyes, Cincinnati Bengals, Chicago Bears

(09-09-2022, 10:27 AM)Speak917 Wrote: LMAO - Flippers don't even understand flipping.
If they understood flipping, they wouldn't be flippers - there is a reason why the belief that you can make money by trading in collectables where you buy high and hope to sell higher is described as the "bigger fool" theory

And quite simply, you aren't going to make any money like that on an amateur part time basis - even most of the stores primarily operate on a consignment basis, obtain cards through trades, or have the capital to buy in bulk from people seeking quick cash or sell off cards preferring the convenience of a quick payment over the hassle of selling cards over time- or have other business (most of the LCS around here also sell other things - usually clothes and other licensed sports items) besides just cards - and all sell new product as well as supplies in addition to individual cards - obviously, those stores operate on a full time basis as well and are fully licensed.  The LCS owners are often working 5-6 days a week 10+ hours a day to stay in business - those guys are often working 60-70 hours a week to earn a living in cards.  They also pay taxes and the like.  

The flippers think they can make quick money in cards - my guess is that if they actually ran the books, they'd realize that they aren't - or are making very little money based upon the amount of time they are putting in things.   They might even be losing money.  And I suspect that many of them will eventually find themselves with a nasty bill for unpaid taxes.  It is indeed a fool's game.  Like all "get rich quick" schemes.

People who actually make money flipping any sort of item start out with a whole lot of money (the old joke, how to make a small fortune in real estate - start with a large fortune) and they still wind up working huge hours for relatively little return.  If they even care about a return and aren't just doing it as a tax write off.

It looks like this sold out at $395. LOL, $250 was a very bad idea - but at $400, all I can say is good luck with that.