`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
2022 Season - Will it be a Gem Mint Banger?

RE: 2022 Season - Will it be a Gem Mint Banger?
(02-13-2023, 12:47 PM)Speak917 Wrote: with legalized betting I have always speculated, that if you peeled the layers back far enough, you'd see some officials with their hand in the pot.
It's almost like the "legalized" betting sites being NFL sponsors makes the whole thing look shady or something.

(02-13-2023, 01:46 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: It's almost like the "legalized" betting sites being NFL sponsors makes the whole thing look shady or something.
Millions of dollars of bets literally turn on a ref making a spilt second judgment in a penalty that is entirely subjective with no clear standards and thus impossible to review even if they allowed review of it.   It is no wonder the rules are applied inconsistently when the rule expects refs to make judgments in a matter of seconds.

Even in cases where there is replay review, it still ends up being applied in a manner that seems about more step above random guess (seriously, with these catch rules it almost seems as if they either flip a coin or sit there watching frame by frame photos for a microscopic movement of the ball)

It doesn't have to be crooked - it simply is incompetent and incomprehensible that the NFL - an entity worth billions of dollars - allows such a situation to occur.

I also think its incomprehensible that people gamble on football games.

I mentioned this in another thread but the easiest solution is to let each team have two challenges per game, not linked to timeouts or so many per half or anything - the key being they can use these challenges on any type of play at any time ... this eliminating the what is reviewable/what is not reviewable BS.

Meaning, if you think a guy has been holding the whole game or whatever (think Packers offensive line, literally every play), you wait until just the right moment late in the game, throw the challenge flag and the refs are forced to A) review it and B) acknowledge how horribly they have been officiating the game up to that point.

Plus it eliminates all this whining about "you can't call THAT penalty at THAT point in the game" ... spoiler, yes, indeed, you can ... and even potentially reduces shenanigans in general because some DBs (as in, the first two letters of DBN, not 'defensive backs') will be forced to learn how to play without cheating.

Granted, most of the Packers line would be forced into early retirement because they've never not played without cheating, but I'm good with that.

It's so simple, costs literally nothing and makes so much sense that the NFL will never do it.

Leaf issues an Andy Reid auto card - if the price was lower I'd get it for my Eagles collection - I can't stay mad and Andy and Mahomes getting another Super Bowl - add in good autos of most of the receivers and all Kansas City was the next best thing for my collection

But the BFL does need to stop scoring own goals with stuff like poor field conditions and questionable calls benefiting the team that benefits the NFL the most

(02-20-2023, 04:08 PM)ZSDOne Wrote: Leaf issues an Andy Reid auto card - if the price was lower I'd get it for my Eagles collection - I can't stay mad and Andy and Mahomes getting another Super Bowl - add in good autos of most of the receivers and all Kansas City was the next best thing for my collection

But the BFL does need to stop scoring own goals with stuff like poor field conditions and questionable calls benefiting the team that benefits the NFL the most
Right.

So in the scenario I laid out above, when that flag was thrown on Bradberry, Nick the Eagles coach could have thrown a challenge flag and they would at least have had to look at it again instead of just taking Mahomes' word for it.

Which circles back to my earlier point about it potentially reducing cheating in the earlier portions of games - knowing that just because the refs are "letting them play" in the first quarter there is still a high likelihood they will get a challenge flag thrown at them later in the game, so better to clean it up the whole time.

The reality is that these players are absurdly fast, strong and athletic, and it is absolute chaos for seven officials to keep track of 22 men committing simultaneous acts of mayhem.

Keep in mind, I'm not defending them at all. Yes, that was a call that they were letting slide earlier in the game, but the counter to that is that it's human nature to watch closer/try harder/scrutinize more in the last couple of minutes of the game than it is the first couple.

The philosophy behind my idea is that it would force players and refs to be more accountable for themselves at all points in the game, and not be able to hide behind that stupid "is it reviewable" BS.

The catch thing? Now that's something completely different.

That whole thing started with my man Calvin Johnson catching the ball in the end zone with two hands, with two feet inbounds, then switching control of the ball to one hand - essentially "palming" it like a basketball on the way down, then landing inbounds, then the ball coming out at the last second after he had already landed and was turning his body to get back to his feet.

Allegedly the "ground can't cause a fumble" ... and catches have been a mess ever since.