`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Picked up my first Mantle

Picked up my first Mantle
I went to Dallas with my bride this weekend to do some Christmas shopping. She let me go to SMP in Grapevine because I had a little extra "card money" to spend. I hadn't opened anything in a long, long time. So I was eyeing a box of 2020 Topps Chrome baseball. They were asking $200 for it. 

As I walked and thought that Chrome, I checked out some of the cases and spotted a Mantle. It was priced at $225, which is a little high for a PSA 4. I mean, it's a 4 after all, so not in the greatest shape. 

Anyway, I thought and thought about that Chrome box and decided to go for the Mantle. The owner dropped the price of it to $200, so even up with the Chrome box (actually a tad cheaper because the Mantle was $200 tax included and the box was $200 plus tax. 

Deciding to take the Mantle was probably a mistake. Once I decided to pass on the Chrome there was probably a Gold refractor auto of Bichette or Yordan that mysteriously fell into the box (it wouldn't have been there had a I bought the box obviously. But I'm happy with the decision. 

Goes great with the Williams I picked up at Bankston's in Waco a couple of weeks ago. 

[Image: UiJYxHM.jpg?1]

RE: Picked up my first Mantle
Great choice. To make you feel better...you will never have the feeling of regret because despite the optimism it would have likely been the very common happenstance of staring at a heap of opened foil packs and muttering the words.."well that sucked" and wishing your 2020 Chrome $15 Sonny Gray auto was the Mantle.

Now you have a Mickey Mantle.

dimarco73 Wrote:Great choice.  To make you feel better...you will never have the feeling of regret because despite the optimism it would have likely been the very common happenstance of staring at a heap of opened foil packs and muttering the words.."well that sucked"  and wishing your 2020 Chrome $15 Sonny Gray auto was the Mantle.

Now you have a Mickey Mantle.
Agreed 100 percent ... that’s a beautiful card.

The odds are astronomically against pulling a more valuable card in the Chrome box.

You did great!

Nice pickup. A vintage Mantle will beat most anything you'd pull from a box of Chrome.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

Very Nice!  You just can't go wrong with a Mantle from his playing days.  Anything you pull from a 2020 product could tank at any time (except maybe Trout).  In terms of ROI, Mantle will last forever.
I'm always open to trading.  My wants are varied (multiple sets from 1980 to now and some misc. players) and all my wants are marked.  Open offers welcome!

Trade Scans

Great pick-up.

That's a great looking card! Based on that pic alone I'm surprised it got a 4.

I've been debating when to get my first Mantle. Have had a couple of the cards from the 60s where he is on the card with other players but never had an individual card of him yet.

Those are some great vintage cards!

I would of went with the box of chrome......just think of all the common cards you should of had lol
Looking mostly for HOF players.....game used, rc, #D, autos, and mike Schmidt autos and game used

[Image: image_zpsd3640c04.jpg]

You made the right choice imo. Nice cards!