IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speculating on 2021 Topps RC's

RE: Speculating on 2021 Topps RC's
mgruber2 Wrote:Casey Mize, Tarik Skubal
Yeah baby!

Can't wait until Torkelson and Greene get the call as well.

jbissell Wrote:I wonder if the softening of pretty much all Mike Trout cards past his rookie card is the beginnings of a slight settling down of the market? Not sure.
Some of it is likely the offseason dip - everything beyond Kershaw rookies are going up, so guys still in it are seeing increases. Some of it, though, is a stabilization.

But Trout is almost certainly going to be a special case. Since he's got the 6 prohibitively expensive for most RCs (Chrome, Chrome Draft, Draft, Sterling, Finest, Update), which is minimal compared to '20 rookies, and no non-autographed, non-serial number first Bowman cards, his second year cards are probably going to continue to carry a premium.

Beyond 2012, I expect autos, parallels, low-number inserts, etc. to keep their value, along with debuting products (i.e. first year of Chrome Sapphire, Prizm, Optic, etc.).

Or it's entirely possible that people are remembering how much they enjoyed collecting when they were younger and this is now the norm.

The advent of the internet has made it easier for those people to collect and find the cards they want. Easy access can spark renewed interest. Growing up, I searched for 4 1988 Topps cards for literally years because only a handful of people in my hometown collected and the very small LCS we had only carried current year product (and opened after '88). When I got back into the hobby in 2010, I had them within hours.
Kepler

Definitely agree in regards to the internet making it easy to acquire pretty much any card you want.

jaredhuizenga Wrote:Some of it is likely the offseason dip - everything beyond Kershaw rookies are going up, so guys still in it are seeing increases. Some of it, though, is a stabilization.

But Trout is almost certainly going to be a special case. Since he's got the 6 prohibitively expensive for most RCs (Chrome, Chrome Draft, Draft, Sterling, Finest, Update), which is minimal compared to '20 rookies, and no non-autographed, non-serial number first Bowman cards, his second year cards are probably going to continue to carry a premium.

Beyond 2012, I expect autos, parallels, low-number inserts, etc. to keep their value, along with debuting products (i.e. first year of Chrome Sapphire, Prizm, Optic, etc.).

Or it's entirely possible that people are remembering how much they enjoyed collecting when they were younger and this is now the norm.

The advent of the internet has made it easier for those people to collect and find the cards they want. Easy access can spark renewed interest. Growing up, I searched for 4 1988 Topps cards for literally years because only a handful of people in my hometown collected and the very small LCS we had only carried current year product (and opened after '88). When I got back into the hobby in 2010, I had them within hours.
I am the king of 1988 Topps if you ever need more, LOL

It's the first set I ever collected and I love the design to this day, even if it is considered to be the worst Topps set of all time, LOL

rjcj2017 Wrote:I am the king of 1988 Topps if you ever need more, LOL

It's the first set I ever collected and I love the design to this day, even if it is considered to be the worst Topps set of all time, LOL
I don't the universal hatred for it. I like the design way more than '89 and some of the newer stuff ... looking at you 2016.

The one that people seem to love that I can't wrap my head around is 1987. It's not as bad as '88 Donruss or '91 Fleer, but it's nothing special.
Kepler

jaredhuizenga Wrote:I don't the universal hatred for it. I like the design way more than '89 and some of the newer stuff ... looking at you 2016.

The one that people seem to love that I can't wrap my head around is 1987. It's not as bad as '88 Donruss or '91 Fleer, but it's nothing special.
The Mark McGwire 1988 Topps All Star Rookie trophy card is basically my favorite card of all time.

If I ever got to meet him or go to a signing or whatever, that is what I would get signed.

My grandma took me to a card shop in Michigan when I was a kid to buy that card when I first got into collecting.

Remember how ridiculously hyped some of the RC's were in 1988? Sam Horn and Gary Thurman immediately come to mind.

And I like 1989 Topps for one reason only. Once I found out about the Bob Welch error card, I went to my commons box with the hope that I had one, and by golly, I did. That is what really got me into rare error cards.