Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Willing to Go Big for Luis Robert Opening Day SP

Willing to Go Big for Luis Robert Opening Day SP
Friends,

Against my better judgement I bought five mega boxes of 2020 Topps Opening Day over the weekend, hoping to pull the Luis Robert SP #201 for my White Sox PC.

Alas, I did not pull one, and really can't justify buying more boxes.

However, I am willing to trade the following cards to get one:

2018 Topps Update Ronald Acuna Jr. RC
2018 Topps Update Juan Soto RC

If you have the Robert and are interested in parting with it for these two cards, please PM me.

Thanks!

RJ

RE: Willing to Go Big for Luis Robert Opening Day SP
Update ... my thanks to zeprock, I was able to trade for the one he hit out of a single retail pack.

Thanks Zep!!!

Am I missing something? I thought a player had to have had an at bat in a Major League game before Topps would issue a card with the RC logo on it? Did that change?

(04-03-2020, 06:21 PM)mgruber2 Wrote: Am I missing something? I thought a player had to have had an at bat in a Major League game before Topps would issue a card with the RC logo on it? Did that change?
That's what I thought ... apparently they got some sort of exception because they assumed he would be on the Opening Day roster ... he's also in 2020 Donruss as a Rated Rookie, not Rated Prospect.

While I am thrilled to have the card now, yes, I agree, it seems Topps can manipulate this RC logo stipulation any time and in any way they want to.

It's like with Acuna, Torres and Vlad Jr. ... none of those are considered RCs either.

Though the Robert is actually a numbered card in the set ... Acuna and Torres were variations and Vlad was an NNO, so I don't see how they will list this one!

(04-03-2020, 05:52 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: Update ... my thanks to zeprock, I was able to trade for the one he hit out of a single retail pack.

Thanks Zep!!!
You're most welcome. Thanks for the Trout card.
I collect Hall of Fame baseball player cards and cards of current and retired superstars.

My Huge Wantlist: http://www.zeprock.com/WantList.html

His Gypsy Queen also has been designated with the RC stamp (just pulled one today). So if Topps tries to change it down the line it will effect most likely all his Topps cards this year.
[Image: H8Ura.png]
SIGNATURE IMAGE CREATED BY
jbel4331 [ http://www.beckett.com/forums/user-153852.html ]

(04-04-2020, 12:16 PM)rjcj2017 Wrote: That's what I thought ... apparently they got some sort of exception because they assumed he would be on the Opening Day roster ... he's also in 2020 Donruss as a Rated Rookie, not Rated Prospect.

While I am thrilled to have the card now, yes, I agree, it seems Topps can manipulate this RC logo stipulation any time and in any way they want to.
The whole Topps monopoly is ridiculous.

(04-08-2020, 10:56 AM)mgruber2 Wrote: The whole Topps monopoly is ridiculous.
Agreed ... and now with these 2020 Robert cards popping up in various products, they've completely distorted the use of the RC logo.

Look at it this way ... the 2018 Topps Series 2 Acuna and Torres cards were considered variations. The 2019 Vlad Jr. Topps Series 2 card was listed as NNO (no number).

So technically they got away with it because they weren't considered base cards ... i.e. the whole reason that Bowman prospect cards are not considered RCs - technically, they are "inserts."

Now, with Robert, they've created a situation that directly conflicts with their previous rules.

I've always despised the RC logo thing and this just makes it worse and much more confusing.

It is funny that on the Football Forum they complain that Panini has the monopoly, and here on the Baseball Forum we complain that Topps has the monopoly. So, what is the solution?

Buy St. James Place and Virginia Avenue and put hotels on the Yellows. (I know, it is lame)

(04-08-2020, 04:33 PM)kerryandbeth Wrote: It is funny that on the Football Forum they complain that Panini has the monopoly, and here on the Baseball Forum we complain that Topps has the monopoly. So, what is the solution?

Buy St. James Place and Virginia Avenue and put hotels on the Yellows. (I know, it is lame)
LOL

I'm not as worried about the fact that they have a monoploy as much as what they do with it, the RC logo thing being the perfect example.

My Miguel Sano Bowman "prospect" card from 2010 is not considered his "rookie card" despite being in an official MLB product in his MLB uniform ... but a Topps card released in 2016 is, just because of a logo?

I mean, the pre-existing rules were bad enough as it is ... but intentionally labeling all these Robert cards as RCs is just throwing gas on the fire.

(Don't get me wrong ... I love the Robert Opening Day SP ... just saying in general.)