`
Connect With Us!
IOS Store
Share Thread:

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Willing to Go Big for Luis Robert Opening Day SP

RE: Willing to Go Big for Luis Robert Opening Day SP
Regarding the SP Robert. Ive gotten to the point where I like and seek out SP's more than I do autographs. (Bowman autos are the exception) SP's were pretty much the only reason I bought any Topps Heritage, and the Robert was the only reason I tried my luck with a blaster of Opening Day.

Same with GQ and Ginter.

RE: Willing to Go Big for Luis Robert Opening Day SP
(04-09-2020, 09:05 AM)jbissell Wrote: Regarding the SP Robert. Ive gotten to the point where I like and seek out SP's more than I do autographs. (Bowman autos are the exception) SP's were pretty much the only reason I bought any Topps Heritage, and the Robert was the only reason I tried my luck with a blaster of Opening Day.

Same with GQ and Ginter.
Yep, they are pretty popular ... the three best SP/SSP cards I ever pulled were Yasiel Puig out of 2013 Topps Update (huge card at the time), the Shohei Ohtani "Santa belt buckle" out of 2019 Walmart Holiday and then a Cam Newton RC variation out of 2011 Topps Football.

I traded the Puig (as part of a package for a Mike Trout auto!) but still have the other two.

This Opening Day Robert card is a pioneer of sorts ... to my knowledge it's the first card since the 2006 Topps Alex Gordon (that was pulled from production) that was issued with a RC logo as part of the base set before his debut.

The 2018 Opening Day Ohtani and the 2019 Opening Day Yusei Kikuchi cards were also issued with RC logos before they played in an MLB game, but I think they were classified differently because they were international free agents and were headed directly to the major leagues.

Robert has been in the minors for a couple of years so this is definitely a test case for Topps bending the rules on the logo thing.

It would be awesome if Beckett would clarify.

Side note ... I pulled a Robert Gypsy Queen RC out of three 3-packs this morning!